Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 11-02-2019, 07:33 AM

Grey hair, lightening quick, must be Philippe Bernat-Salles
Old 11-02-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
It would be interesting if Joe made a multiple of changes similar to what Gatland did,but i doubt it.
I don't think he'll do that but at the very least I'd expect to see Larmour at FB, Addison in the center, POM replacement and one or two in the front row.
I don't think he'll swap Ryan out but he should. 9 and 10 is another change but I think he'll do one, not both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon Langer View Post
Jesus lads, remember when France used to bamboozle teams with 3 players in the 5 meter channel, and one of them with grey hair. Member those world cup games against the kiwis! Did john Delaney take over the ffr or something?
There's a hell of a case study there for anyone with the time. Hard to know is it more a case of the National team being weakened by imports in the club scene but they're falling apart. You had lads jogging (Bastareud was even walking) for a couple of the tries. 2 centers on the wing, a wing at FB, a second division prop.
It would be interesting to see what a genuine FB would have done yesterday, England have tons of kicking options in their backline and really exploited that.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:33 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly sham View Post
I don't think he'll do that but at the very least I'd expect to see Larmour at FB, Addison in the center, POM replacement and one or two in the front row.
I don't think he'll swap Ryan out but he should. 9 and 10 is another change but I think he'll do one, not both.

There's a hell of a case study there for anyone with the time. Hard to know is it more a case of the National team being weakened by imports in the club scene but they're falling apart. You had lads jogging (Bastareud was even walking) for a couple of the tries. 2 centers on the wing, a wing at FB, a second division prop.
It would be interesting to see what a genuine FB would have done yesterday, England have tons of kicking options in their backline and really exploited that.
From ROG....

"They’ve picked club players and they’re trying to make them Test players, with no basis at all. It is staggering what is going on at the minute in terms of selection and the criteria for selection. If you don’t perform, you’re just thrown out; new batch in. It’s just a vicious cycle."

Going to miss his punditry as he going back to NZ
Old 11-02-2019, 11:09 AM

He's spot on and he'd obviously know it from being there too.

Looking at 10 in particular:

Agen - McIntyre (AUS)
Bordeaux - Begles - Brock James (South African)
Castres - Urdapilleta (Argentinean)
Clermont - Lopez (French)
Lyon - Beauxis and Doussain (French)
Montpellier - Cruden (NZ)
Pau - Slade (NZ)
Perpignan - Jackson (Ireland)
Stade Rochelle - Lamb (ENG)
Stade - Sanchez, Steyn (ARG - SA) but Plisson is hanging around there too
Racing - Russell (SCO)
Toulon - Bealeau, Trinh-Duc (French)
Toulouse - Holmes (AUS)

That's a huge issue, its only Lopez they seem to have any faith in. Trinh-Duc, Beauxis, Doussain, and Plisson have been in and out like a bored cat.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Grey hair, lightening quick, must be Philippe Bernat-Salles
Yup. I'd be both terrorised and excited when he got the ball against us. The minute their 10 (La Maison?) spread the ball you'd just think "ah fuck, try on here anyway".
Old 11-02-2019, 12:14 PM

With the oversized cotton jersey flowing behind him but he still couldn't be caught.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:14 PM
Senior PROC Member

Jean Pierre Rives smoking a cigarette in the dressing room as cool as a cucumber.I've been saying it for years about the French national team and its set up with regards to clubs and bringing in the so called big names on huge contracts.
It happened back in the 90s in England when a lot of the big named players were close to retiring and they would see out their last 2 years in England and make the big bucks before swanning off into the sunset.The French game is slowly being destroyed by rich owners and mercenary players/coaches who couldn't give two fiddlers about the French game.They have an underage structure as shown by their recent winning of the under 20 world cup.But something goes wrong and to me its the passion,love and belonging to a club that is no longer there for players.The Munster players had said there was never any bonding or togetherness as a team and sadly that shows a lot at both club and international teams.When you have players like Sexton,Carter,O Gara and other top outhalves taking positions from up and coming homegrown players,then you'll never have a chance internationally.Make s you wonder who has the power in FFR.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:51 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
When you have players like Sexton,Carter,O Gara and other top outhalves taking positions from up and coming homegrown players,then you'll never have a chance internationally.
ROG never played with Racing.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:12 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice is yours View Post
ROG never played with Racing.
My bad,i meant to put in Johnny Wilkinson there.But O Gara is an example as a coach that money is being spent on also.....poorly in my opinion.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:23 PM
Senior PROC Member

French rugby is awash with cash, and that is the problem. Presidents/owners just flinging money at players in the hope that something will click at some stage. Toulon hoovering up goys just off the All Blick carousel, so too Montpellier (who must be the great underachievers based on their outlay over the past few years). Racing, Stade, Bordeaux, Pau, etc etc. There may be some light at the end of the tunnel with this minimum amount of French players per squad in the Top 14, but it's gonna take time for that to percolate.

The biggest failing is at the top level with Bernie Laporte or whoever's in charge of appointing national coaches. Noves was appointed 10 years too late. Brunel should have never even got an interview tbf. But outside Labit and Travers at Racing who else is there at the top level in club rugby? It wasn't ROGs fault that he was hired by Racing. But where are the next generation of French coaches coming through? Galthie? Who else is there?

French rugby is a mess because the clubs and the FFR let it go that way. Their underage structure isn't too bad - even if the sight of them being bulldozed by England in the scrum at Exeter on Sat wasn't exactly encouraging. Yet that game did show that they still have the ability to cut loose at times. However the chances for that are few and far between in the 'modrun' game.