Password

Old 11-02-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Sales decline in 2018.

Telegraph - 23%
Mail - 11%
Express - 11%

Sorry for the ‘bad’ news Cona_n and keep quoting your favourite failing newspapers.
The Guardian total sales 2018 - 138k

Old 11-02-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrass View Post
May starting her crossparty strategy with Jezza in order to startle the ultras. This should be fun.
Ya, poor Jezza, the lowest approval rating of any Labour leader ever
Old 11-02-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jams View Post
https://twitter.com/MarinaHyde/statu...96477137559554

I'm a big fan of the Nigel sub-plots in this series.
I'm presuming he joins, then quits his local library multiple times a week.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:30 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan The Vegetarian View Post
The Guardian total sales 2018 - 138k

It's online presence would actually be quite considerable.

Proof: From a source you can actually trust.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyton View Post
It's online presence would actually be quite considerable.

Proof: From a source you can actually trust.
Ya, a survey of its readers said they trusted the paper they read.

Unquestioning simpletons, fair play to them.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
https://truepublica.org.uk/united-ki...te-propaganda/

HBB, what do you make of this?

Also. Anecdotal I know, but the amount of homelessness I've observed over the last decade on trips to the UK does seem to have skyrocketed (just from observing the amount of street sleepers). Do the figures tell the same story?
This was covered in a recent More Or Less episode.
While yes, one hour is enough to count someone as employed, that's an international standard (from the ILO) and not someone cooking the books.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00025g0

About 1.5% worked 6 hours or less, 25 years ago, 2% of the population were working less than 6 hours.
Increase to 15 hours, it's 8% of the workforce, 25 years ago, it was 10%.

So there's not really a fundamental change to the labour market here.

Homeless does seem to have turned a corner, it really had reached very high levels 6-12 months ago. The last time I checked the stats in mid 2018 for a fundraising thing, homelessness in Reading increased by 169% from 2010 to 2018.
But there does seem to have been a significant improvement in the past 6 months, that's anecdotal though.

There is a big issue with the fiscal situation in Britain though. Councils are in a lot of trouble, central government spending has been slashed and the way the funding has been replaced fucks up poorer councils. There'll have been a 77% decrease in local council funding from 2015 to this year, but with limits on the ability to raise council taxes, it's pushing a lot of councils to the brink. The worst hit actually seem to be those that have outsourced the most.

Half of all Health Trusts are in deficit, which is an improvement on the 2/3 in 2015, but an abysmal performance, it was only 8% in 2009.

Despite all of this, spending is going up, but it has gone down against GDP and in inflation adjusted terms. Taxes have gone down too, so the deficit is higher than it should be. That said, government spending relative to GDP are at pre-crisis levels, so it's not like there has been a radical reduction in overall spending. The biggest cuts have been to welfare, but as employment levels are at record highs, it is hard to argue that more should be spent on it.

Brexit is currently sucking up any spare cash around and there is an awful lot of money being spent on preparation work.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Ya, a survey of its readers said they trusted the paper they read.

Unquestioning simpletons, fair play to them.
Are you saying the Guardian is an unreliable source?

I mean, I do not agree with most of what's printed in the opinion section in the Telegraph, but it is a reasonably reliable source of facts.

Certainly a lot better than something like The Sun, Express or the pit of human despair that is the Daily Mail.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:44 PM

Lol, saw this earlier:

"29th March 2019 is going to be amazing! I’m going to wake up in my Union Jack jim-jams to the sound of a squadron of Spitfires racing overhead and leaving a trail of hot buttered crumpets behind them

I’ll run to the corner shop past all the British children who are laughing and squealing with excitement as they make a beautiful statue of the queen out of happy wriggling bulldog puppies – with two corgis for her eyebrows!

Bunting flutters everywhere and the man from the betting shop steps into the street – “Guess what! England just won the World Cup and The Ashes and The Grand National and here’s the best bit – Boris put a bet on it for everyone! you’re all MILLIONAIRES!!!”

The red arrows fly overhead dropping fish and chips as I walk into the corner shop, get my morning paper and go to the counter. “How much please?” I say to the Asian lad there. “1 pence, everything in the whole shop now costs just 1p!” he laughs, “leave it on the counter, I’m off back to Pakistan – we all are!”

And he’s right! Outside in the streets jolly old Nigel Farage is leading a huge crowd of happy foreigners – Turks, Poles, Romanians, Syrians – there’s even a few English people with heavy suntans mixed up in there! Nigel’s playing Rule Britannia on a long pipe, rather like the pipe that takes the gas into your oven, and they’re all following and smiling and talking foreign, bless them!

Just then Boris flies overhead in a Concorde made of Bank of England gold – “Don’t worry!” he laughs “I’ve cut out all the bits the French made!” and with that he crashes into the ground at 1200 miles an hour, along with the economy, the country and all the dozy nostalgic foreigner-fearing fuckwits who fell for his bullshit.

Grow up. Wake up.”
Old 11-02-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by How bad boy View Post
Are you saying the Guardian is an unreliable source?

I mean, I do not agree with most of what's printed in the opinion section in the Telegraph, but it is a reasonably reliable source of facts.

Certainly a lot better than something like The Sun, Express or the pit of human despair that is the Daily Mail.
No, I'm saying it's an incredibly biased source.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
No, I'm saying it's an incredibly biased source.
Everyone knows its bias, there aren't any news papers in the UK without a bleedingly obvious bias.

But that's not to say it's inaccurate. You can be extremely accurate, but incredibly biased. Facts are biased without the right context.

As an example, the Telegraph is a good, accurate newspaper, I trust they fact check well.
But it has a strong bias, in a direction I tend to disagree with.

The Economist is another very accurate newspaper, it has a bias that I generally agree with (with some significant exceptions).

The Mail is a shitrag, but the majority of their news has some sort of basis in a form of factual reality, even if it's usually presented in repellent ways.

You can't (or, at least shouldn't) ignore a source because you know it's biased, especially when you know it's likely to be a well fact checked newspaper. You separate the opinion from fact, evaluate the facts they present and make up your own mind.

It's why I read many, if not most, of your links. I'd love to be convinced Brexit is going to be this great thing, fuck knows I'm living through it any you're not. But I've yet to see much by way of facts to convince me it's going to improve things, lots of opinion though.