Oil and coin. - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 11-01-2016, 06:19 PM
Senior PROC Member

Default Oil and coin.

I’m not talking about petrol pumps.

I’m talking about making money from oil. Barrels, tankers, ten gallon hats.

Time to get in there? Like a rat up a drainpipe?

Despite China and it’s rotten corrupt and falsified economy (and accounting) going all the way down the shitter, despite the sand monkeys fighting over which is better - a Shiite or a Wahhabi sandwich – despite all the shale industry being closed down all over the shop.

Despite all these things, sentiment is causing the price of oil to be badly pwned.

But this pwnage won’t last forever.

The question is, get in now or wait.

And if wait is the answer, wait until what?

25 bucks?

20 bucks?

10 bucks?

When the thing that happens, happens, it’ll happen fast and oil will be up to 70 or 80 dollars again in a few weeks.

And if it doesn't happen and the other thing happens instead, well, let's put it this way, brae, you won't be needing that worthless money in your pocket in any case.

Are you in or out?
Old 11-01-2016, 06:22 PM
Senior PROC Member

To quote Eddie Murphy in Trading Places - I'd wait til it hit about 30 then I'd buy, you'll have cleaned out all the suckers by then.

Signed Billy Ray Valentine, Capricorn.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:25 PM

Wait for about 12 Months, Huge inventories in US and Iran about to enter the world market and btw China is still growing!
Old 11-01-2016, 06:38 PM
Senior PROC Member

Really Good to have you back Paddy.

I'm sticking all my money in the company I work for right now, when their shares go way back up then I'm going to buy the shares of their most direct competitor, and when this place goes back down, the price of the competitor will rise, and I'll sell out.

I stand to make thousands, actual thousands paddy, can you deal with that? Do you hear what I'm say'in?

B
Old 11-01-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flirty Flossie View Post
Wait for about 12 Months, Huge inventories in US and Iran about to enter the world market and btw China is still growing!
Reasonably sound advice, although I think 12 months is a bit much. Would say 6 months, at most. After all, it's not when the oil actually starts flowing, it'll be on the leadup to the announcement that it's going to flow (the old "Buy on the rumour, sell on the news" adage).

So a good buying point would probably be once Iran's sanctions are lifted enough to allow the west to buy oil.

Incidentally, the Saudis are not in a good way, they're potentially looking at Greek levels of austerity (percentage-wise), although from ludicrous levels of state largesse. If the current flow of losses were to continue for 5 years, they'd be broke.

From all I've read on the shale revolution, it looks like $50/barrel is probably about the right long term level, and the flexibility of the marginal supply might stabilise prices significantly over the next few decades.

The number of shale wells has dropped dramatically, but production volumes have remained high. That suggests some big improvements in the efficiency of the techniques used for extracting it, and stronger long term downward pressure on prices.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by How bad boy View Post
Reasonably sound advice, although I think 12 months is a bit much. Would say 6 months, at most. After all, it's not when the oil actually starts flowing, it'll be on the leadup to the announcement that it's going to flow (the old "Buy on the rumour, sell on the news" adage).

So a good buying point would probably be once Iran's sanctions are lifted enough to allow the west to buy oil.

Incidentally, the Saudis are not in a good way, they're potentially looking at Greek levels of austerity (percentage-wise), although from ludicrous levels of state largesse. If the current flow of losses were to continue for 5 years, they'd be broke.

From all I've read on the shale revolution, it looks like $50/barrel is probably about the right long term level, and the flexibility of the marginal supply might stabilise prices significantly over the next few decades.

The number of shale wells has dropped dramatically, but production volumes have remained high. That suggests some big improvements in the efficiency of the techniques used for extracting it, and stronger long term downward pressure on prices.
The Saudis can pump oil for about 15 Dollars a barell --They want to screw both Russia and Iran so they will suck it up for a while!
Old 11-01-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmeringtopaddypow er View Post
I’m not talking about petrol pumps.

I’m talking about making money from oil. Barrels, tankers, ten gallon hats.

Time to get in there? Like a rat up a drainpipe?

Despite China and it’s rotten corrupt and falsified economy (and accounting) going all the way down the shitter, despite the sand monkeys fighting over which is better - a Shiite or a Wahhabi sandwich – despite all the shale industry being closed down all over the shop.

Despite all these things, sentiment is causing the price of oil to be badly pwned.

But this pwnage won’t last forever.

The question is, get in now or wait.

And if wait is the answer, wait until what?

25 bucks?

20 bucks?

10 bucks?

When the thing that happens, happens, it’ll happen fast and oil will be up to 70 or 80 dollars again in a few weeks.

And if it doesn't happen and the other thing happens instead, well, let's put it this way, brae, you won't be needing that worthless money in your pocket in any case.

Are you in or out?
Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley have called for 20 dollars a barrel. Those jokers are notorious for giving a wrong steer while they load up, so I would say buy now, might be a bit more downside but would be very surprised if hit mid 20's.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flirty Flossie View Post
The Saudis can pump oil for about 15 Dollars a barell --They want to screw both Russia and Iran so they will suck it up for a while!
As any good businessman knows, it's not your cost of goods that'll kill you, it's your overheads.

The Saudis buy peace and stability with their oil money. That and lots of weapons.

They need $60 a barrel to balance the books. The new young prince Muhammad bin Salman is looking to bring in a lot of economic reforms, but there's every chance that if that happens,it'll destabilise the country.

They're currently overspending to the tune of $100bn a year, 15% of GDP. That's the sort of level Greece was running during the euro crisis.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by How bad boy View Post
As any good businessman knows, it's not your cost of goods that'll kill you, it's your overheads.

The Saudis buy peace and stability with their oil money. That and lots of weapons.

They need $60 a barrel to balance the books. The new young prince Muhammad bin Salman is looking to bring in a lot of economic reforms, but there's every chance that if that happens,it'll destabilise the country.

They're currently overspending to the tune of $100bn a year, 15% of GDP. That's the sort of level Greece was running during the euro crisis.
In fairness I'm not sure that twit knows what he is doing, he is currently talking about floating Aramco or least a part of it, someone should tell him when oil is at 30 bucks a barrel is not exactly the most opportune time to do it!!
Old 11-01-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSensible View Post
In fairness I'm not sure that twit knows what he is doing, he is currently talking about floating Aramco or least a part of it, someone should tell him when oil is at 30 bucks a barrel is not exactly the most opportune time to do it!!
Yeah, that seems to be a spectacularly stupid thing to do.

The general gist behind his noises on modernising is to be welcomed, but the chances of them fucking it up are pretty big (especially if they're leaving it to a 30 year old prince...)

I suppose they have enough military hardware that can be turned on the populace that the ruling family will be nigh on impossible to remove (especially as there are so many of them...), but still, an unstable Saudi Arabia would send the price sky rocketing.