tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
HTC Desire or Desire HD - Page 8 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 02-12-2010, 01:03 PM

Good stuff.

According to the sleep application, I had a seriously crappy nights sleep last night.

From the looks of the movement stats, I think my flatmate's alarm clock might be disturbing my sleep at 6am every morning...
Old 03-12-2010, 12:22 AM

Have been looking for a pair of in-ear handsfree earphones to no avail. They all seem to have terrible reviews. Surely there's something out there?!
Old 06-12-2010, 05:52 PM

I ended up getting the desire as it was the same price on bill pay. Have had it since Saturday. Initial impressions:

UI is fantastic. Really easy to get used to and navigate. Efficient, clever, transition effects are cool.

Integration with facebook / gmail contacts is perfect. Had to do a quite a bit of manual linking but now I have pretty much all 258 phone contacts sync'd with their facebook pages and 107 with their gmail. All profile photos, email addies, birthdays and status updates appear in the phone book. Same with calendar. All facebook birthdays and google calendar events appear on the calendar.

Again, having all the profile photos is pretty cool, can see them next to a contact when txting or chatting.

Maps and GPS are all working perfectly. Flashlight is very handy. Camera is a lot better than I thought it would be having read so many bad reviews. All pictures i've taken have come out fine. The photo gallery isn't the best. Kind of a delay between selecting a photo and being able to pinch to zoom which is annoying. Weather/Clock and News widgets are perfect. The built in music player isn't the prettiest. I'm using doubleTwist and it looks great and is very quick. Thinking of purchasing the full version - allows wireless syncing with iTunes. Built in browser isn't the most intuitive, haven't tried installing opera mini yet but I imagine it will be a lot better.

I've been reading up a lot about killing apps as I couldn't find any way to do it. (I later found the force quit in settings). There seems to be a lot of articles about how you're not supposed to kill apps - even using watchdog or advance task killer. Any one have any definitive answer on this? Does it save battery to do so? My main reason for looking into it was skype wouldn't close.

My biggest gripe so far has been the battery. It has only been charged twice and I know i've been using it a lot - as it's new and i've been figuring everything out but jesus it's going fast. It's now 6pm, plugged it out at 9am this morning and it's on red at the moment. I have read the charge improves after the first few so hopefully this is the case.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:57 PM

Hmm, well, I use Advanced Task Killer a lot and it seems to be fine.

It's not supposed to kill the battery life, but that's not quite true. The only reason I use it on the wildfire though is because the processor is a little bit limited, get Skype running in the background, music, internet session with flash and it starts to slow down.

The Desire HD's screen is going to nail any battery out there.

As for handsefree, the only in ear handsfree I know of are these, but I'm not sure they're still available:
Old 06-12-2010, 06:11 PM

Cheers, think i'm just going to do without the handsfree. Although it's ideal with the cold weather so I can put my hands back in my pockets. I can't stand normal earphones since I got my first in-ear. Too much leakage.

One other thing that's kind of annoying... Friend Stream - facebook app - facebook through the browser and also the view when you click on someones page through the phonebook. It's overkill. Would be great if they all linked to the facebook app rather than having their own individual views.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:14 PM

Maybe there's a facebook app.

Never used that, I must admit.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:32 PM

Oh no, there is a facebook app and it's great. There's just so much other crap that uses facebook but not as well laid out. It would be great if all the other apps like the phonebook (people) linked to the facebook app rather than trying their own take on it.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:46 AM

am getting the htc desire hd today

looking forward to it..............
Old 04-02-2011, 01:21 PM

got my phone
it rocks
recommend some apps
got angry birds........... any more ideas
Old 04-02-2011, 01:23 PM

I presume you already have the 'NWB dancing in his sexy red pants' app?