tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Comms techies......help please.. - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > PROC Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 20-10-2005, 08:06 AM

Default Comms techies......help please..

An aged Nun family friend is returning to a Missionary position (sorry) in darkest Nigeria. We want to try to keep some sort of contact lines open - does anyone know if we can buy a satellite phone for her - or is there any other feasible way to achieve this?
Old 20-10-2005, 08:10 AM

Carrier Pigeon!!
Try ebay for the satellite phone though.
Old 20-10-2005, 08:25 AM

Satellite phones are very expensive to use.

Unfortunately, mobile coverage is very poor outside the main cities in Nigeria.

Depending on whether she's bringing a computer - a second hand laptop could be pretty cheap - and the availability of power supplies, satellite broadband could be an option.

Why can't I see an elderly nun setting up a computer to make voice calls over satellite broadband...
Old 20-10-2005, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungle
Satellite phones are very expensive to use.

Unfortunately, mobile coverage is very poor outside the main cities in Nigeria.

Depending on whether she's bringing a computer - a second hand laptop could be pretty cheap - and the availability of power supplies, satellite broadband could be an option.

Why can't I see an elderly nun setting up a computer to make voice calls over satellite broadband...
I was under the impression that it wasn't too bad actually. There's been a load of reports recently of how they're rolling out new networks there as people are buying mobiles in place of landlines...

A mobile phone is probably the best option (any bog standard GSM phone will be grand, they use the same standard). I'm sure she could get Skype working from an internet cafe there, VOIP is getting much more common in Africa.

A satellite phone would be madness, the latency alone would be a complete and utter bitch, ever see the delays on TV with reporters from the US? It'd be like that, but much worse.

Email and good old fashioned snail mail could be another option. If she's within reaching distance of a city, she'll have no bother at all.
Old 20-10-2005, 08:47 AM

Unfortunately she's in the wilderness. Might check the local service providers.....just in case there might be coverage somewhere near.
Old 20-10-2005, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proinsias
I was under the impression that it wasn't too bad actually. There's been a load of reports recently of how they're rolling out new networks there as people are buying mobiles in place of landlines...

A mobile phone is probably the best option (any bog standard GSM phone will be grand, they use the same standard). I'm sure she could get Skype working from an internet cafe there, VOIP is getting much more common in Africa.

A satellite phone would be madness, the latency alone would be a complete and utter bitch, ever see the delays on TV with reporters from the US? It'd be like that, but much worse.

Email and good old fashioned snail mail could be another option. If she's within reaching distance of a city, she'll have no bother at all.
Mobiles are taking off in a big way in Africa because it saves them the hassle and expense of installing fixed lines. However, in most countries, with few exceptions, coverage is largely confined to the cities because there isn't enough revenue to justify the infrastructure investment.

For Nigeria, take a look at this page

http://www.cellular-news.com/coverage/nigeria.php

Choose 'Show all maps' to see the areas that are covered by all networks combined.
Old 20-10-2005, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungle
Mobiles are taking off in a big way in Africa because it saves them the hassle and expense of installing fixed lines. However, in most countries, with few exceptions, coverage is largely confined to the cities because there isn't enough revenue to justify the infrastructure investment.

For Nigeria, take a look at this page

http://www.cellular-news.com/coverage/nigeria.php

Choose 'Show all maps' to see the areas that are covered by all networks combined.
You are a gentleman and a scholar. This is a serious requirement so I am genuinely obliged. I will be back in another guise regarding more frivolous matters.