tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
The obligatory new Apple Macbook thread - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 20-07-2011, 05:02 PM

Default The obligatory new Apple Macbook thread

So...
http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookair/

Yep, a bit of an update, refresh and respin to the Macbook range. The big deal seems to be the Macbook Air. Prices haven't changed, but the specs have.
Personally, the one that interests me (as my girlfriend wants it) is the 11.6" model, for £850.

The processor is handy enough, an i5, albeit a 1.6GHz job. All a man could want really, should even be able to handle a bit of light video processing.

The SSD is still pitiful though, a measley 64GB. When there are 128GB SD cards, that's pretty poor, IMO. We're almost down to $0.5 a GB (industry prices), so 64GB is stingy as hell. Even retail, you can get a 160GB SSD for £200, makes the jump between the different 11.6" models slightly ludicrious.

So far, so deeply unimpressive.

One nice thing is that the bus memory on the RAM is now a chippy 1333MHz. That's nice. I like a fast bit o'RAM. There's also a Thunderbolt port, which is nice, if a touch pointless.

And Bluetooth 4.0.
I have no idea what the advantages of Bluetooth 4.0 over 3.0 are. And if I don't know, then it's highly unlikely to be used.

Other than that, it includes Lion, saving a few quid. Kinda.

Ok, so there's some nice futureproofing, I guess, and a boost to a vaguely decent processor.

Makes it better value than it was 2 weeks ago, value for money is pushing it, but I think you'd be hard pressed to get something with an i5 processor, 1333MHz DDR3, an SSD and so small for the money. It's a pretty toy that should last a while and has some oomph for its size.

So that done and dusted, another interesting development is the death of the Macbook. Yup, no longer can you simply get a 'Macbook', the choice is between an Air or a Pro. The white polycarbonate monster is dead. It's looked out of date for years and I was, honestly, a little surprised they kept selling it as long as they did.

While I was nice about the Air, I won't be about the Pro.
£1,000 for a laptop with a measley 320GB??

It's a joke, right?

And this is the price you intend to maintain for at least another year?

Fucking hell.

I mean, the 4GB DDR3 1333MHz is nice n all, and the small boost in speed is welcome, but fucking hell. You can get an Asus with a very similar spec for less than half that price now. God knows how horrifically uncompetitive that's going to be in a year's time.

Wow. Just wow. The Air appears to be the most price competitive Macbook offering.

I think I need some Kool Aid as I really don't understand the world right now.
Old 20-07-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by How bad boy View Post
So...
http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookair/

Yep, a bit of an update, refresh and respin to the Macbook range. The big deal seems to be the Macbook Air. Prices haven't changed, but the specs have.
Personally, the one that interests me (as my girlfriend wants it) is the 11.6" model, for £850.

The processor is handy enough, an i5, albeit a 1.6GHz job. All a man could want really, should even be able to handle a bit of light video processing.

The SSD is still pitiful though, a measley 64GB. When there are 128GB SD cards, that's pretty poor, IMO. We're almost down to $0.5 a GB (industry prices), so 64GB is stingy as hell. Even retail, you can get a 160GB SSD for £200, makes the jump between the different 11.6" models slightly ludicrious.

So far, so deeply unimpressive.

One nice thing is that the bus memory on the RAM is now a chippy 1333MHz. That's nice. I like a fast bit o'RAM. There's also a Thunderbolt port, which is nice, if a touch pointless.

And Bluetooth 4.0.
I have no idea what the advantages of Bluetooth 4.0 over 3.0 are. And if I don't know, then it's highly unlikely to be used.

Other than that, it includes Lion, saving a few quid. Kinda.

Ok, so there's some nice futureproofing, I guess, and a boost to a vaguely decent processor.

Makes it better value than it was 2 weeks ago, value for money is pushing it, but I think you'd be hard pressed to get something with an i5 processor, 1333MHz DDR3, an SSD and so small for the money. It's a pretty toy that should last a while and has some oomph for its size.

So that done and dusted, another interesting development is the death of the Macbook. Yup, no longer can you simply get a 'Macbook', the choice is between an Air or a Pro. The white polycarbonate monster is dead. It's looked out of date for years and I was, honestly, a little surprised they kept selling it as long as they did.

While I was nice about the Air, I won't be about the Pro.
£1,000 for a laptop with a measley 320GB??

It's a joke, right?

And this is the price you intend to maintain for at least another year?

Fucking hell.

I mean, the 4GB DDR3 1333MHz is nice n all, and the small boost in speed is welcome, but fucking hell. You can get an Asus with a very similar spec for less than half that price now. God knows how horrifically uncompetitive that's going to be in a year's time.

Wow. Just wow. The Air appears to be the most price competitive Macbook offering.

I think I need some Kool Aid as I really don't understand the world right now.
People are quite well aware that you can get similar laptops for different prices in the same way they know they can get cars that will do the same thing for varyings costs also.
Old 20-07-2011, 05:25 PM

I've already used 85Gb of my Air's 256Gb in 8 months. Don't know how you could get away with the small size.

I don't know if this applies to the new Air's but the old models had an SD card slot, which could easily be used to create an additional hard drive.
Old 20-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Senior PROC Member

"Coolness" comes at at a price.

Apple know they can charge a price for the smuggerati to be able to distance themselves from the pc scum.

Revenue up to $28 billion this quarter. Profit up to $7 billion.

An increase of 82%.

Incredible.

The massive share price actually looks normal when their business figures are taken into account.

Nuts.

Having said that, the woman has a macbook pro and she likes it more than she likes me.

Also, the ipad is starting to find its way into corporations and airlines and that caper.
Old 20-07-2011, 06:19 PM

There won't be much to distinguish Mac owners soon though, Paddy.

Looking at their figures, I reckon they accounted for 20% of laptops sold. They have rising figures in a declining market. Given their low penetration of the business sector, I reckon that could be a healthy 25-30% of the domestic market. So definitely not something that will make you stand out from the crowd any more.

Got to say I'm delighted I made the switch. From the moment it booted up in 5 seconds, I knew it was a good idea. For all that is said about the hardware being similar, I think
it's the OS is the real selling point. Everything just seems to be simpler.
Old 20-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd26 View Post
There won't be much to distinguish Mac owners soon though, Paddy.

Looking at their figures, I reckon they accounted for 20% of laptops sold. They have rising figures in a declining market. Given their low penetration of the business sector, I reckon that could be a healthy 25-30% of the domestic market. So definitely not something that will make you stand out from the crowd any more.

Got to say I'm delighted I made the switch. From the moment it booted up in 5 seconds, I knew it was a good idea. For all that is said about the hardware being similar, I think
it's the OS is the real selling point. Everything just seems to be simpler.
Most of their growth is coming from the emerging economies, china, india, brazil etc.
It's a mixture of design more than the hardware and the programmes they have.
Some of them are very nice, and more importantly, simple to use.

Itunes is now the biggest music retailer in the world.

They never sold more Iphones than they did in this quarter. I think it was something like 220 thousand units.

They are way ahead of everyone else. Jobs is some man for one sick man.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the cloud comes.
Old 20-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browser Brody View Post
People are quite well aware that you can get similar laptops for different prices in the same way they know they can get cars that will do the same thing for varyings costs also.
good comparison to use ... was watching the 3 idiots on sunday there..

say the Jaguar they tested = the Apple

and the Nissan GTR = the Asus...

in actual comparison? horse power and price the Jaguar romped home but putting that horse power to good use is two different things. The Nissan being 30% cheaper out performed the more expensive jaguar in all aspects..

Bring that back to computers then.. Lately I've been getting a lot of Apple products in for repair. Comparable to PC laptops they are abysmal to work on..complicated and in no way uniform in construction.

Couple that with the most recent repair stats (3 year survey - posted a few weeks back) and both Asus, Toshiba and Sony al out perform Apple laptops.

Strangely enough though Apple have just posted record 2ndquarter returns but personally I prefer reliability and given todays current financial climates cost effectiveness for comparable hardware. After all I have seen Samsung drives inside Apple laptops.. probably the most cheapest and unreliable HD hardware there is...
Old 20-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Senior PROC Member

I'd love a new mac

Damn the recession to hell !!
Old 20-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Senior PROC Member

FFS everything is backward on a Mac, their hardware is outdated as soon as it hits the shelves, writing software for Apple is a giant pain in the cunt, They have an appalling reputation as employers both in the 3rd world and in developed countries and outsource their manufacturing to unethical criminals, you also say goodbye to any sort of real gaming when you buy a mac. It's like saying you prefer to read and write from right to left, its a computer, the only benefit it has over other computers is that it makes Tech Illiterate people think they are cool because they feel nice and fuzzy inside knowing that you are "Exclusive", Apple are good at one thing, Marketing.

Their iPad 2 or whatever the fawk it is, is already miles behind other Tablets and Microsoft has one coming out in Q4 that will outperform most iMacBookProAir's or whatever they iCall it. Yep, their Slate will outperform Apples Laptops... mark my words..

Their build quality is shite when compared to Samsung/Sony/Toshiba/Asus/Lenovo and they are unrelenting in their quest to make you overpay for substandard hardware and software at every turn.

If Android or Microsoft got their shit together as regards setting minimum standards in all phones that use their software then you would see a massive decline in the sale of iPhones. Another "Known Issue" (Which means fuck off) is by holding Apples €500+ phone the "wrong way" will mean you won't be able to call or text anyone.

Quote:
Apple's iPhone 4 signal problems have been the source of a barrage of complaints by customers complaining of a faulty antenna and now Steve Jobs has broken the silence. In an e-mail Jobs downplayed users' reception gripes as a "non-issue." Meanwhile, others within Apple are advising iPhone 4 users to avoid gripping the device from the lower left corner.

As the first batch of iPhone 4 smartphones reached the market on Thursday, several users reported that they are having poor reception issues with their new device when holding the phone by its metal sides in two opposite places.

The metal bands surrounding the sides of the iPhone 4 also acts as antennas for the device, and the signal drop problem seems to appear when a user touches both of the black lines on the phone's metal sides towards the bottom, according to corroborated users reports.

"Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone," reads an official Apple statement on Thursday.

"If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases," the statement concludes.

Jobs also replied to a few complaints sent to his e-mail inbox. One MacRumors reader asked Jobs what is going to be done about the signal dropping issue, and the Apple CEO replied in his typical brief manner: "Non issue. Just avoid holding it in that way."

Spencer Webb, an antenna designer, explains on his blog that the iPhone 4 has two symmetrical slots in the metal frame, which when covered, will affect antenna performance. "There is no way around this, it's a design compromise that is forced by the requirements of the FCC, AT&T, Apple's marketing department and Apple's industrial designers, to name a few," Webb wrote.

Apple currently sells a $29 rubber "Bumper Case" for the iPhone 4 (pictured above), which covers only the sides of the device, something that made Mashable's Barb Dybwad ask whether this indicates that Apple already knew about the potential reception issues with the phone.

PCWorld also did its own tests of iPhone 4 signal and took the new phone for a spin in San Francisco alongside an iPhone 3GS. PCWorld was able to replicate the signal problems when covering the bottom left edge of the phone, something that did not occur when the phone was laid flat on a table with the antenna untouched.
Jokeshop
Old 20-07-2011, 07:23 PM

So Apple products are shite because they contain Samsung components, but they're shite because they aren't as good as Samsung. I think I understand.

As for the iPhone, at least it texts properly.

I wouldn't get too stressed about what Microsoft have planned. They remind me of Apple in the Sculley era - doing everything right by the business manual and wondering why it isn't working. I wonder will Gates do a Jobs and come back to impose his vision on his company. Apple know well that the real threat comes from Google. If Google get into the busines market, it could destroy Microsoft and slowly undermine Apple.

Paddy->Laptop growth is most obvious in the US Market. However, it's a declining market, so not one where you really get excited about increasing market share.