tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
The non technical Android v's Iphone thread. - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 08-12-2010, 04:14 PM

thanks for that Jon, very well, eh, put...
Old 08-12-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergski View Post
thanks for that Jon, very well, eh, put...
My LG Viewty I have for over two years has a 5 megapixel camera & comparing the quality of videos & pictures with the N8 is incredible, video 720p HD, Dolby 5.1 digital plus surround sound.
The hdmi is it's novelty gimmick, it's party trick if you will & the reason it smoothed me right over.
Battery life is very good also.

Best phone ever in actual FACT
Old 08-12-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmeringtopaddypow er View Post
Android, eh?

Sexy?

Better that the Iphone?

Does it have the apps scene going on?

Better than other smart phones?

Can Android I/F with Itunes?

It is true that Android will sink Nokia?

Are we all gonna die screaming?

Jesus I'm stuffed full of dead chicken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmeringtopaddypow er View Post
An office person here is talking about the new Nexus with Android 2.6

Supp with that?

Do I need it too?
Yes.
Yes.
Depends.
Yes.
Probably
Yes.
No.
No, some of us will die in our sleep.
Better than being stuffed full of live chicken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the trip View Post
i have to say, i was always anti apple ,untill i came across the iphone. its fantastic.

pity they cant do something about the price of their other products, i.e. the mack book pro range.
i know many a p.c laptop for 800/900 that pisses the 2500/2700 euro mac for spec.
The iPhone is insanely overpriced.

I recently managed to talk my missus out of getting one. It is not possible to get one in the UK for less than £730 over 2 years (for a phone + contract, iPhone 3GS 8GB).

As a comparison, I have a HTC Wildfire for £336 over 2 years. Almost the same contract. But I can (and do) use Skype...

The iPhone 4 is at least £200 more expensive than its closest rival. And it's not £200 better.

You're paying for the brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergski View Post
.. yes I would tend to agree with that, but Symbian 3/4 os ?

Is it (or is going to be) worth a fuck.

Its a lot of money to be shelling out in these times...
Symbian is going to be around for a long time yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantankerous bastard View Post
total bollocks.

Apple products are very, very good.

I've used all different phones, I used to work in technology so I know my shit. The iphone just works in an intuitive way for me. Other phones are either an imitation of it, which is a bit pointless unless you want a cheap scabby version of an iphone thats not quite as good, or are technically better than it but not as pleasant to work with.

I have a blackberry through work and I appreciate it for work but its nowhere near as pleasant to use in personal life as the iphone.

You can squeal all you like about it and get on your techie high horse, but you dont get a product as successful as the iphone without it ticking a lot of good boxes.

What I hate is what bitches the competition are to Apple. Apple release an iphone, QUICK everyone release a touch screen phone that looks like a borderline patent infringer on the iphone, only not quite as good. Ditto the ipad. Its sad that there is such a lack of innovation from the rest that they dont try and do something truly different to apple as well as just adding a few technical superiorities over iphone. People wont switch from apple for minor shit like that.

From 2005:

I was testing capacitive touch screens in 2005.

Exactly which patent are the people copying Apple close to infringing? Only having one button?
Or the touch screen?
Here's another phone from Nokia, from 2004, based on the doomed Series 80 user interface.

And one of my favourite mental concept phones from this era of Nokia design, announced in 2003, 4 years before the iPhone, but unfortunately, it was condemned to a life of user testing work.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by How bad boy View Post
The iPhone is insanely overpriced.

I recently managed to talk my missus out of getting one. It is not possible to get one in the UK for less than £730 over 2 years (for a phone + contract, iPhone 3GS 8GB).

As a comparison, I have a HTC Wildfire for £336 over 2 years. Almost the same contract. But I can (and do) use Skype...

The iPhone 4 is at least £200 more expensive than its closest rival. And it's not £200 better.

You're paying for the brand.

I was testing capacitive touch screens in 2005.

Exactly which patent are the people copying Apple close to infringing? Only having one button?
Or the touch screen?
Overpriced is fair.

But come on, there are a million iphone ripoffs out there now.

I'm not saying they invented the look and feel, I'm saying Apple's designs capture the public's imagination and then almost everyone else heads off and copies them ad nauseum.

I've had other smartphones, I dont think anyone does the whole package as well as apple. Yes you pay through the nose and the return on investment there is questionable but for me the nicetys of iphone versus competitors I've had was worth it.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:56 PM

I have a 3GS iphone. Its a decent phone but I've a few problems with Apple.

The iphone has no flash player, no removable battery, fixed storage that costs you a fortune, around twice the price for a 32Gb vs an 8Gb, where as a 64Gb micro SD card costs around €50.

The iphone claims to have multitasking when it really doesn't.

There is no drag and drop facility.

The cameras are 5h1t by comparison to all other smartphones.

They cost a fortune.

If itunes will work on android (I've a kit for the car and my stereo at home run off ipods) then ill buy the HTC desire HD, as im out of contract with my 3GS. Im not aware of a single benefit the iphones have over any other phone
Old 08-12-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Overpriced is fair.

But come on, there are a million iphone ripoffs out there now.
Absolutely, but that's the market. It's always been like that. One company comes up with a decent design, every other company does something similar. I've countless examples of this, ranging from Nokia's Communicator, to the Apple Newton, the RAZR, Nokia's User Interface in the late 90s and so on.
Quote:
I'm not saying they invented the look and feel, I'm saying Apple's designs capture the public's imagination and then almost everyone else heads off and copies them ad nauseum.
Apple copied a lot of stuff from other companies too though.
Who exactly is copying whose operating system here:

Quote:
I've had other smartphones, I dont think anyone does the whole package as well as apple. Yes you pay through the nose and the return on investment there is questionable but for me the nicetys of iphone versus competitors I've had was worth it.
Maybe not.

But what they're doing is not technologically innovative. What is innovative is their marketing and their user interface design. Their user interface design is innovative, but not that innovative.

Put a touch screen on this, clean it up a tad and you have exactly the same UI:

That's from 2001.

There is a mantra that Apple are the UI kings.

People forget that Nokia were the kings of it less than 5 years ago.

I know this area intimately as one of the products I used to work on there was a phoe with an 'interesting' UI. In fact, there was, at one stage, a very strong possibility that I would be working on the hardware user interface platform design team. I decided to turn down that offer...
Old 08-12-2010, 06:23 PM

look, i work with computers every day, in fact my job spoils me a bit, cause i love tech.i have a high end n-videa/intel powered viao lappy and the latest mac at my disposal, and use em both.i prefer p.c. on price and spec, in my job they are better for what i do.

so i cant be accused of being an apple/steve jobs follower. you get the drift.

However, the iphone is pure genius , i love the interface, the way if feels, the way it works. it suits me. down to the ground.
the galaxy and the nokia, while great peices of kit, each with their merrit dont suit me.

a phone is a personal thing, and now they are far more than just ones phone,rather more like a digital extension of ones self.so to say 1 is better than the other is a bit stupid. i used em all, they are all good.
it just depends on what one "suits"

if it was down to out right camera power, i would have the sony u1 satio 12mp/blitzed the galaxy and pissed all over the n8 in reader reviews,
that been said, while they may have better mega pix than the i phone, they put nothing into the lense optics.
the 4 takes a stunning photo at 5 mp,and in hd.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkyabadself View Post
I have a 3GS iphone. Its a decent phone but I've a few problems with Apple.

The iphone has no flash player, no removable battery, fixed storage that costs you a fortune, around twice the price for a 32Gb vs an 8Gb, where as a 64Gb micro SD card costs around €50.

The iphone claims to have multitasking when it really doesn't.

There is no drag and drop facility.

The cameras are 5h1t by comparison to all other smartphones.

They cost a fortune.

If itunes will work on android (I've a kit for the car and my stereo at home run off ipods) then ill buy the HTC desire HD, as im out of contract with my 3GS. Im not aware of a single benefit the iphones have over any other phone
iTunes Agent is what you need to get iTunes working with HTC kit.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:28 PM

one last point to all the "mega pixilllll " chasers.

the sony k 750i and the 850i, both old phones now take better photos at 3.2 mp than most modern phones.
reason? "carl zisse" optics .
Old 08-12-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the trip View Post
one last point to all the "mega pixilllll " chasers.

the sony k 750i and the 850i, both old phones now take better photos at 3.2 mp than most modern phones.
reason? "carl zisse" optics .
one more important point than that

Unless you plan on taking out a billboard to mount your lovely new photo on, you will NEVER need to take a picture at a higher resolution than 3 or 4 mega pixels.

Its amazing how the marketplace for both cameras (point and shoot) and phones has managed to use this as a primary selling point when it makes zero difference to 99% of the people.

Its the same as mary down the road wanting a 10zillion gig of ram quadrocore processor laptop (in pink of course!) that she uses for nothing other than going on facebook!