tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
You have to respect this new laptop? - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 20-10-2010, 08:47 PM

Default You have to respect this new laptop?

seriously guys, diss away, i personally think its an f ing quality update.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/
Old 20-10-2010, 09:04 PM

yep looks nice.. can see a few of them broken very easily...

when will ye macfags learn - style does not equal a good machine.....
Old 21-10-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggle View Post
yep looks nice.. can see a few of them broken very easily...

when will ye macfags learn - style does not equal a good machine.....
But style sells. Apple are proof of that. Apple were facing oblivion...Jobs comes back, invents new markets (Iphone, Ipod etc) that change the whole game. Apple are now worth more than Microsoft.

You have to give Jobs and Apple credit: they make the ultimate sleek machines and are masters of friendly user interfaces. Nobody else comes near. They come out with products which currently don't exist - they create new markets and raise the bar for everybody else.

You don't have to like how Apple operate (I don't): but you can't deny them their success.

Job's a genius.
Old 21-10-2010, 08:49 AM

Why would you buy one of these over an iPad and vice versa.
Old 21-10-2010, 12:03 PM

Looks nice alright, but christ, the amount of marketing bullshit on the mac book air page is sickening.

(Rant imminent)

This little piece caught my eye:

Sounded interesting so i clicked it to find more about this "high resolution".

No mention of the actual resolution so annoyed by all this bullshit i clicked tech specs to find it was just 1366 by 768.

Got the impression from their description that it was something special,
so googled for 11.6" netbook and the first one that came up had the exact same resolution:

http://www.techspot.com/review/184-a...pire-one-751h/

Nothing really "wow" there apple, the only feat really is the thickness of the screen.

What really ground my gears though was this:

STEREO FUCKING SOUND?
REALLY LIKE?

Have they fuck all else to say about the laptop, that they have to use shit like this to fill all the gaps?

For the life of me I cannot remember any laptop that did not have stereo sound, no matter how old.
Old 21-10-2010, 01:37 PM

The 11 inch model is pretty overpriced, but it's not totally idiotically overpriced like the first generation.

Hmm, this laptop meets all the specs I've been yabbering on about in the other laptop thread on here this week.

It would definitely fit in a laptop bag with my other laptop and at 1kg, it really wouldn't add much weight. Plus, it looks like it might have enough oomph to do some decent number crunching, but I don't need a top end machine.

Hmm...
Old 21-10-2010, 03:10 PM

My girlfriend would love it..
Old 21-10-2010, 04:28 PM

you guys are funny. i love the word "macfags"

did you get from the Simpsons or Ricky Gervais?

there is a lot of marketing hype, but would really love to see a product that doesn't have it? have you read any tech ads over the last - let's say 25 years?

also re the resolution and screen hyperbole.

i think that fact that you are comparing it to laptops is a little unfair - a fair comparison would be against net books, or very small form laptops - due to the size and weight.

also i think that for media production - it would outperform a Ipad. simply due to the included keyboard.

oh and on style. i see your point about style not necessarily equalling substance - this topic has been a real bain of aesthetics for a while now.

do please back it up, as i am interested to see a pic of something that doesn't look good and yet goes well. as i would be able to show you many examples of the reversal.

- i was thinking maybe a lumpy chocolate milkshake, but surely you have a better example?
Old 21-10-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umma08 View Post
i think that fact that you are comparing it to laptops is a little unfair - a fair comparison would be against net books, or very small form laptops - due to the size and weight.
A $999 netbook? Are you serious????
Old 21-10-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umma08 View Post
you guys are funny. i love the word "macfags"

did you get from the Simpsons or Ricky Gervais?

there is a lot of marketing hype, but would really love to see a product that doesn't have it? have you read any tech ads over the last - let's say 25 years?

also re the resolution and screen hyperbole.

also i think that for media production - it would outperform a Ipad. simply due to the included keyboard.

oh and on style. i see your point about style not necessarily equalling substance - this topic has been a real bain of aesthetics for a while now.

do please back it up, as i am interested to see a pic of something that doesn't look good and yet goes well. as i would be able to show you many examples of the reversal.

- i was thinking maybe a lumpy chocolate milkshake, but surely you have a better example?
It's not something for media production, the processor is very meh. I think I'd be able to run pretty much all my CAD stuff on it, but I wouldn't dream of editing HD video on something with those specs.
Not that I edit video much...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastesLikeChicken View Post
A $999 netbook? Are you serious????
2x the price of pretty much every other net book out there.

It is not a netbook. The Register put it well when they called Netbooks Small Cheap Computers (SCCs) This is not small, (it's thin, but the lengthxwidth isn't small) and it's not cheap.

It's a sub-notebook, up against the E4200 series from Dell or something equivalent.

10" is the limit for a netbook, anything else is a full size laptop.