tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
The new Apple Macbooks - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 15-06-2009, 09:37 AM

Default The new Apple Macbooks

I don't get it.

How come they're such shockingly poor value for money?

2 years ago, they were actually quite competitive. Just had a sconce at the new ones though and I was surprised at how expensive they were.

For example, the new white one (cause that's one I could possibly afford), is £750, which is £60 more than the last white one. As far as I can tell, they've added 40gb to the harddrive and 130MHz to the speed of the processor. Nothing else appears to have changed. I bought the old one for £830 two years ago, the rest of the market has moved on since then.

For £20 more than I paid then, I now get 40gb more memory, a slower processor and..... a new case.

For £150 more, I could get 90gb more HDD space and a further 400MHz added onto the clock speed.

Seriously though, what's the story? These new macbooks are horrifically uncompetitive from a hardware point of view. Even Sony are cheaper than them now and Sony were the worst rip off out there.

What's the story here? How come they're getting away with being such a rip off?
Old 15-06-2009, 11:13 AM

They look shiny. And Apple have good marketing department. Their main target market don't know what a MHz is, or care to know. More money than sense.
Old 16-06-2009, 07:11 PM

Haven't they got the new intel chips, and I think the graphics cards are updated. But I thought they were reasonable, I mean my Hp cost me €1200 last year. got a new mac this year, way cheaper, way better. They're the best in the business.
Old 16-06-2009, 09:07 PM

mac os is ten times better than windows. it never crashes and you never have to reinstall the os. im using mac's for years and i never had to re install the os whereas i cant remember how many times i had to re install windows as i had to do it so many times
Old 16-06-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha_m View Post
Haven't they got the new intel chips, and I think the graphics cards are updated. But I thought they were reasonable, I mean my Hp cost me €1200 last year. got a new mac this year, way cheaper, way better. They're the best in the business.
No and no.
Still using the Nvidia 9400 graphics card.

I don't believe that you got better spec on your hardware on the Apple, even if it is a year later. What are the exact prices and specs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamKracker View Post
mac os is ten times better than windows. it never crashes and you never have to reinstall the os. im using mac's for years and i never had to re install the os whereas i cant remember how many times i had to re install windows as i had to do it so many times
10 times? Yes, it is nice and works well, but 10 times? My old Apple crashed a few times and Apple have a nasty habit of putting out an expensive "upgrade" to the software ever 18 months or so. You've installed them, right? They're technically supposed to be an upgrade.

I've not had to reinstall my windows machine in the 6 years I've had it. Admittedly, I've had to do a good bit of tapping around to keep it going well but it's fine.

Anyway, it's the hardware cost I'm griping about. The cost of the hardware on Macbooks has plummetted over the past 2 years, I could buy a netbook with similar specs for a third the price. How come the price of almost the exact same laptop I bought 2 years ago (and had stolen a year and a half ago) is still broadly similar?
Old 17-06-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by How bad boy View Post
No and no.

I don't believe that you got better spec on your hardware on the Apple, even if it is a year later. What are the exact prices and specs?
10 times? Yes, it is nice and works well, but 10 times? My old Apple crashed a few times and Apple have a nasty habit of putting out an expensive "upgrade" to the software ever 18 months or so. You've installed them, right? They're technically supposed to be an upgrade.

I've not had to reinstall my windows machine in the 6 years I've had it. Admittedly, I've had to do a good bit of tapping around to keep it going well but it's fine.

Anyway, it's the hardware cost I'm griping about. The cost of the hardware on Macbooks has plummetted over the past 2 years, I could buy a netbook with similar specs for a third the price. How come the price of almost the exact same laptop I bought 2 years ago (and had stolen a year and a half ago) is still broadly similar?

good stuff

enjoy the netbook
Old 17-06-2009, 06:39 AM

I haven't gotten one.

I had intended on getting one but I repaired the broken fan on my old Dell instead. Funds are a bit tight at the moment.
The girlfriend is looking to get an Apple though.
Old 17-06-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
No and no.

Expensive upgrade? Upgrade to Snow Leopard is $29. When windows upgrades does it not cost like €300?? The new Macbook Pro's have come down a lot in price but are still on the expensive side.
Old 17-06-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cronin View Post
Expensive upgrade? Upgrade to Snow Leopard is $29. When windows upgrades does it not cost like €300?? The new Macbook Pro's have come down a lot in price but are still on the expensive side.
There is no cost for upgrades/service packs to windows operating systems.

Buying a different windows operating system is indeed very expensive, however I have not paid Microsoft a penny in 6 years with my XP machine.
On the other hand, over the same time, if I wanted to keep my Apple up to date, I would have had to shell out $129 for Panther in October 2003, $129 for Tiger in 2005 and $129 for Leopard in 2007. So that argument doesn't wash.

Anyhow, I don't really want to get into a discussion about the merits of the OS, cause it's the price of the hardware that's the problem, the price of which has plummetted over the years, without a corresponding response by Apple.
Old 17-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
There is no cost for upgrades/service packs to windows operating systems.

Buying a different windows operating system is indeed very expensive, however I have not paid Microsoft a penny in 6 years with my XP machine.
On the other hand, over the same time, if I wanted to keep my Apple up to date, I would have had to shell out $129 for Panther in October 2003, $129 for Tiger in 2005 and $129 for Leopard in 2007. So that argument doesn't wash.

Anyhow, I don't really want to get into a discussion about the merits of the OS, cause it's the price of the hardware that's the problem, the price of which has plummetted over the years, without a corresponding response by Apple.
Apple are cagey out.
They know that MAC users think that they are superior to PC users and will pay a premium to distinguish themselves from scum like us.

What pisses me off is that Microshit seem to have all the laptop producers pre-installing Vista on their machines.

In my case, it is virtually impossible to "downgrade" to XP. Drivers not available etc.

So i'll have to wait for Windows 7 - and pay for same, I suppose.

God damn it.