tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Ubuntu - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 30-04-2008, 01:13 PM

Default Ubuntu

guy in my class just installed it today...

after seeing it in action, at the next convenient time, i'm wiping my hard drive, partitioning it, installing XP and Ubuntu, and i'm only gonna use XP when necessary... Ubuntu will be my default...

i'm really impressed with it...

anyone else use it?
Old 30-04-2008, 01:25 PM

yup. use it here, on my laptop.

no dual boot.. just pure ubuntu.
Old 30-04-2008, 02:04 PM

Indeed. No half foot in the water. Dual boot me hole. What "those" people do is just always end up going in to XP, but they get to say they have Linux installed.

No dual boot. Booooooo.

What in the world would you need XP on there for?
Old 30-04-2008, 02:05 PM

By the way, posts/blogs entries like these ones are written at a rate of 23 a minute or something like that.

The majority are still stubborn as fucks though. Scared/Fear and Laziness. Full spectrum of excuses though, the scardie cats.
Old 30-04-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellboy View Post
guy in my class just installed it today...

after seeing it in action, at the next convenient time, i'm wiping my hard drive, partitioning it, installing XP and Ubuntu, and i'm only gonna use XP when necessary... Ubuntu will be my default...

i'm really impressed with it...

anyone else use it?
If you are happy with it please spread the word and use shipit to get some cds for your other classmates or just share some around. Kubuntu may also be of interest to you. If you do plan to dual boot install XP first, then ubuntu.
Old 30-04-2008, 04:54 PM

A friend of mine said i should install ubuntu for djing/ music production software. I have vista at the moment and was thinking of going back to xp pro. Should i just wipe it and install ubuntu instead? How easy is it to get used to it? And how do i get programs designed to work with windows eg Serato, Reason etc to work with ubuntu? Sorry but i'm very new to this ubuntu lark!
Old 30-04-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
A friend of mine said i should install ubuntu for djing/ music production software. I have vista at the moment and was thinking of going back to xp pro. Should i just wipe it and install ubuntu instead? How easy is it to get used to it? And how do i get programs designed to work with windows eg Serato, Reason etc to work with ubuntu? Sorry but i'm very new to this ubuntu lark!
from what i saw, it's an absolute piece of piss...

I don't think that serato or reason will work with ubuntu as they were designed for windows, but you'll probably find equivalent software that will work on ubuntu... and will work better too...

best advice would be to use a dual boot setup where you have XP and ubuntu, so you can test the water first...
Old 30-04-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
you can give it a twirl by running the livecd which will not install on your computer it will just run from the CD. So long as your network card or wireless card is supported you can grab new packages from tinernet while running it or see whats available. I don't know what serato and reason are so I have no idead if they would work.

If you do have space and don't need your laptop asap and have an xp recovery cd/install cd and key then just backup all your important data and fire away with the wipe and install.
Old 30-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon View Post
you can give it a twirl by running the livecd which will not install on your computer it will just run from the CD. So long as your network card or wireless card is supported you can grab new packages from tinernet while running it or see whats available. I don't know what serato and reason are so I have no idead if they would work.

If you do have space and don't need your laptop asap and have an xp recovery cd/install cd and key then just backup all your important data and fire away with the wipe and install.
Well the laptop is about 4 days old so theres absolutely nothing on it. Can windows based software run on ubuntu? I only need it for running djing / production software, but any software i have is for windows...
Old 30-04-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Well the laptop is about 4 days old so theres absolutely nothing on it. Can windows based software run on ubuntu? I only need it for running djing / production software, but any software i have is for windows...
Hmm is it vista ( it may have some sick twisted restore partition on the disk if it is ). Some windows software will run on a program called wine. You can see on their website the apps that will. Orrrrr if your machine is reasonably fast, you can run vmplayer or virtualbox with windows ( a type of virtual machine ) where you can run the software there. But production software sounds heavy? is it mega intensive?