tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Irish comedy and making a living? - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > PROC Communities > The Comedy Forum
User Name
Password

Old 15-09-2012, 11:23 PM

Default Irish comedy and making a living?

HI. I'm wondering can anyone tell me whether it is possible to make a living in the Irish stand up comedy scene? Or would you want to be a Tommy Tiernan or Dylan Moran? Also any indication of what the money is like in it would be great. I assume there is not much to be made at the start and obviously if you're shit, but once you establish yourself to some extent and start touring Ireland, warm up or headliner, what is one looking at? Anyone have an idea of how much the average comedian makes? Any feedback would be great, I like to know as much as I can before I begin taking that step into the darkness.
Cheers

While I'm at it. Any sort of workshops going on around Cork?

Also I hope I don't come across as a money obsessed asshole that cares solely for the pursuit of riches. I'm going to give this a try anyway but it is something I would like to know.

Last edited by jaymurph; 15-09-2012 at 11:56 PM..
Old 18-09-2012, 02:24 AM

Maybe an easier question. How much would someone get for their set? More for headlining? by how much?
Old 19-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Boys Oh Boys Forum Users

1000e a night if you are good.
Old 22-09-2012, 10:47 PM

If you live in Cork then you will find it fairly tough going. Some comedians really committed move to Dublin as more venues mean more chances of getting gigs. The first 6 months you will make fuck all, most chances of getting gigs to begin with will be the small independent comedy clubs. The first few gigs at these clubs will be open spots so you wont get a penny, after a few months you might get a support slot and payment depends on the club and attendance numbers. When you finally get the headline slot you might be lucky to get €100-€200 and that is being lucky.
You will need to hit the big established clubs and you will be waiting a fair while to even get an open slot at these venues.
Very very few make a living at comedy in Ireland unless they are part of the agency (Lisarichards) which in my opinion has fucked up comedy here. If you get your foot inside the door you are on your way. You will have to try and attach yourself to a well known comedian who might help you along. The Irish comedy circuit is largely based on who you know and not how good you are Delemare being proof of this.
You should try out some of the proper competitions, you can get lucky with one or two of these comps. I would suggest (depending on your style of comedy) you get as much as you can (quality wise) up on youtube and get your name out there.
Over the years I have some amazing comics and most of these guys have packed it in they simply got fed up of gigging for free, I maintain if one particular guy had kept it up he would have made it very big both here and in the UK. You should also sign up to rent a comic on face book its handy for contacts.
There are no workshops in Cork at the mo I use to run workshops and so did Ashley Strand but no one at the mo.
Tiernan and Pat Shortt are unique in the sense that they made it without the agency. You should be gigging as much as possible certainly at least once a week so I would suggest you try ordinary open mic nights in Cork (thats if you are based in Cork) its a great way to work your craft, the audience isnt there for comedy so if you win the audience over then you know your material and presentation is good enough.
Old 24-09-2012, 06:15 PM

Thanks Pat that is exactly what I was looking for. I'll have a craic at it anyway in the not too distant future. Sure all in all I might just end up with a hobby beyond drinking. God know I could do with that.
Old 25-09-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymurph View Post
Thanks Pat that is exactly what I was looking for. I'll have a craic at it anyway in the not too distant future. Sure all in all I might just end up with a hobby beyond drinking. God know I could do with that.
Deffo give it a try out, if you any contacts give me a shout or if you ever want to meet for a coffee to go over your ideas give me a shout. Cork needs more comedians.
Old 27-09-2012, 01:00 AM

Sound Pat, I might just take you up on that offer. I have to clarify my ideas first anyway, I'm always procrastinating. Sure if I'm going to do I had better get started.