Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 19-05-2019, 07:14 AM

Munster are a club in decline, mediocre players & managment . Big signings needed as a lot of the home talent is not going to win a champions cup. Settle for mediocrity & u are in trouble.
Old 19-05-2019, 02:03 PM

don't think any realistic Munster fan would have expected more than a champions cup semi final and pro 14 semi final or maybe a final appearance if Leinster were avoided, at the start of the season..you could even argue that with the players they over achieved a little

Looking forward to next season i hope van grahn gets the coaching support he needs and with a few signings in the summer Munster will be competitive again next season

No major issues in the pack but with duncan casey and sherry retiring they might need a signing at hooker and personally think they could do with a big overseas name at 7. Would hope the likes of Liam o Connor, Wycherley and Coombes push on again in pre season and will get more games next season.

The backs is where most of the work needs to be done..i dont think scannell is up to the level required so would like to see a big signing at 12..matthewson is staying til xmas and with hart and williams also leaving id imagine another 9 will be brought in..Carberry will be away alot so i suppose its blyendaal and JJ with bill johnston as cover for the first few months of the season
Old 19-05-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogee View Post
don't think any realistic Munster fan would have expected more than a champions cup semi final and pro 14 semi final or maybe a final appearance if Leinster were avoided, at the start of the season..you could even argue that with the players they over achieved a little

Looking forward to next season i hope van grahn gets the coaching support he needs and with a few signings in the summer Munster will be competitive again next season

No major issues in the pack but with duncan casey and sherry retiring they might need a signing at hooker and personally think they could do with a big overseas name at 7. Would hope the likes of Liam o Connor, Wycherley and Coombes push on again in pre season and will get more games next season.

The backs is where most of the work needs to be done..i dont think scannell is up to the level required so would like to see a big signing at 12..matthewson is staying til xmas and with hart and williams also leaving id imagine another 9 will be brought in..Carberry will be away alot so i suppose its blyendaal and JJ with bill johnston as cover for the first few months of the season
I don't agree they overachieved at all, they had a team that's well capable of getting to the European semifinal but with Beirne and Carbery added.
Old 19-05-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by How bad boy View Post
I don't agree they overachieved at all, they had a team that's well capable of getting to the European semifinal but with Beirne and Carbery added.
carberry didnt play since jan..earls missing for semi final..first 15 are competitive but no strength in depth..throw in the poor form of murray and pom and stander since xmas and without those 5 playing well munster are going nowhere..how many of munsters first 15 would start for leinster or saracens?
Old 20-05-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moccork View Post
Munster are a club in decline, mediocre players & managment . Big signings needed as a lot of the home talent is not going to win a champions cup. Settle for mediocrity & u are in trouble.
And throw in a shit youth development system, especially compared to Leinster. We're years off the pace, even if they tried to address it right now.
Old 21-05-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:

Nick McCarthy (scrum half) is signed from Leinster
Old 21-05-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:

I think Scannell is grand as your nuts and bolts 12, a decent backs coach could use him as a foil for Carbery, he's not a crash ball runner like Jones seems to be doing with all the centers regardless of their skillset.

BillJo confirmed as gone.

It might also be time to consider Murray may never recover his form, in which case do we move his benchmark lower and judge if he's playing ok? Similar to what happened to Will Genia and Aaron Smith?
A post WC, NIQ in that position might not be a bad option depending on the progression of the likes of Stafford from the Academy.
Old 21-05-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdagap View Post
And throw in a shit youth development system, especially compared to Leinster. We're years off the pace, even if they tried to address it right now.
I thought this was a worrying article:

https://www.the42.ie/dave-johnston-m...39088-May2019/

Basically Dave Johnston felt that he didn't get near enough opportunities and that he was terrified of making a mistake, even in training. I think you could write off the game time to him not being good enough but the fear of making an error really seems to ring true when I watch Munster play.