The Hurling Thread - Page 1864 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 07-02-2020, 07:49 AM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinger View Post
Exactly. Non enforcement of the rule (if it exists) has led to the current situation. Go back to how it was. Two lads contest the clash with no one else within 14 metres (exclusion zone). If one of the lads in the clash puts his foot forward and gets a belt it's his own fault.

Nothing soft about the situation as it was 20 years ago (as you have described it) and as I remember it.

Enforcing the rule won't rid the game of all rucks but will stop the ridiculous situation whereby the referee tries to resolve a ruck by creating another one.

Hurley68 as I understand hurled in the 60s and 70s when this was the practice. I don't think he'd claim those lads were soft. He and Highway Man by referring to softness and woke (whatever that is) may have missed the point.
I am talking about the black card and not rucks or throw ins
card will ruin hurling,as we know and love it.my view anyway
Old 07-02-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinger View Post
I'm sorry. I don't understand this post.
I didn't put that very well.

A free is awarded to a particular team , play is stopped and the team with the free has the advantage.

In a throw in situation neither team has been awarded anything and there is no advantage.
Players will try to get as close as they can to the throw in so that they will be able to influence the outcome. This will lead them to edging closer and resulting in another melee.
I don't think referees can concentrate on getting the throw in right with two players jostling for possession while at the same time trying to keep everybody else away from the play.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Cork View Post
I didn't put that very well.

A free is awarded to a particular team , play is stopped and the team with the free has the advantage.

In a throw in situation neither team has been awarded anything and there is no advantage.
Players will try to get as close as they can to the throw in so that they will be able to influence the outcome. This will lead them to edging closer and resulting in another melee.
I don't think referees can concentrate on getting the throw in right with two players jostling for possession while at the same time trying to keep everybody else away from the play.
The solution is simple. The ref should get the ball in his hand, take a quick sconce around and sprint to a pair or remote players. Leave the two players jostling (and the surrounding pack) in his wake. End result....brisk restart in play with the unlikely outcome of another ruck.
Why the refs insist on throwing the ball in from where they picked it up has always confused me....unless there’s a particular rule stating that it should.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrass View Post
Is this the current football black card with sin bin or the old one?
Current I presume.

Surprised how it’s started to get backing all of a sudden in past couple days.
Former ref Barry Kelly backing it now too
Old 07-02-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeeper_79 View Post
Current I presume.

Surprised how it’s started to get backing all of a sudden in past couple days.
Former ref Barry Kelly backing it now too
There is merit in looking at anything that may improve the game.
Hurling is generally in a good place just now but that doesn't mean that nothing should be done to help it stay that way.

The competitions at the very start of the year are a useful way to trial suggested changes to see how they work.

I don't think anybody wants to take the physicality out of the game but certainly a level of cynicism has crept into the game as the pressure to win at all costs increases.

I would like the definition of a foul to be clearly restated.
When a player wins possession but is boxed in by two or three defenders when is that a foul ? More often than not it is given against the player with the ball even though he is being physically restrained from moving.

I give this instance because it is what I call a modern foul , where defenders hunt in packs rather than simple man to man marking. In previous generations players stayed in their own positions and marked their own man and usually didn't have the fitness to travel all over the pitch as players do now.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace404 View Post
The solution is simple. The ref should get the ball in his hand, take a quick sconce around and sprint to a pair or remote players. Leave the two players jostling (and the surrounding pack) in his wake. End result....brisk restart in play with the unlikely outcome of another ruck.
Why the refs insist on throwing the ball in from where they picked it up has always confused me....unless there’s a particular rule stating that it should.
Can't see that working as you will be moving play closer to the goals of one team and maybe giving one team an advantage, unless the ball was moved to the sideline to throw in by the linesman and the ref operated the exclusion zone.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:48 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Cork View Post
I am not so sure it need ruin the game. Hurling can learn from some of the mistakes made when football introduced the black card.

Hurling has changed and evolved enormously in recent years and this includes the art of fouling and disrupting play.
Watch a game from twenty years ago and a current day game and you realise how much the game has changed and maybe the rules which applied before are not entirely fit for purpose now.

Hurling is a physical game and I don't think the black card will change that, it certainly hasn't made football less physical but maybe a little less cynical.
I have seen lots of comment on here and criticisms of the type of fouling that is happening in the game now.

At the very least there needs to be a look at what needs to be stamped out of the game and what needs to be encouraged.
The black card need not be the answer but it is as good a place as any to start when looking at what is right and what is wrong with the game.

Cynical fouling of several different types is a problem in the game.

All changed when Cork were going for a three in a row in 2006. Everything conspired against Cork that day and the game of hurling hasn't been the same since. They left the grass grow longer than usual, certainly didn't Corks fluid game. Officials strangely blinded that day to the kk boys piggybacling the Cork lads. The 2007 final was worse with the stuff they were let get away with. Cody the bitter bastard changed the game that day and subsequently got on the refereeing board to thwart the rules as much as he could. The game has never been the same since.