tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Retrieving files from a usb - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 29-03-2020, 10:56 PM

Default Retrieving files from a usb

I tried to save a pdf to my usb and for whatever reason a message popped up stating my usb needed to be formatted. I have been using the usb for a while now, and I have some work files (recently worked on) that unfortunately have not been backed up to the cloud. If not the whole usb, I would like to retrieve at least these newly worked on files.

A friend told me to try a recovery software package (recuva) but I only got the following message when trying to scan: Unable to determine file system type.

I've read that i could try a quick format of the usb, and then use recuva to retrieve the files. Is this an option?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 30-03-2020, 11:14 AM

A bit dodgy. Formatting will probably over write everything and Recuva can not read files that are over written.
Sometimes you can access a damaged usb/disc by using
something like
EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition - Free download,
but it's a bit technical and you have to be sure you do not go near your hard drive.
The other option is to try the USB in as many different pc's/laptops/ tablets etc., so might work.
I have has a usb spend some time in the washing machine, sometimes it can be read, sometimes not,
best of luck
Dave
Old 30-03-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphilp View Post
A bit dodgy. Formatting will probably over write everything and Recuva can not read files that are over written.
Sometimes you can access a damaged usb/disc by using
something like
EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition - Free download,
but it's a bit technical and you have to be sure you do not go near your hard drive.
The other option is to try the USB in as many different pc's/laptops/ tablets etc., so might work.
I have has a usb spend some time in the washing machine, sometimes it can be read, sometimes not,
best of luck
Dave
Cheers Dave, I have tried my usb in other laptops/desktops but to no avail. I'll try again in some other devices, otherwise I'm pretty stuck! A friend from VM Ware suggested Ontrack (file recovery business) and they said they would be able to do it, but at a cost of £250 + vat!! That's out for me, the files aren't THAT precious.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:45 AM

If you can get your hands on a Linux laptop or PC they can be very good at recovering files