tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
&%$@ing Eircom... - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 15-09-2007, 10:22 AM

Angry &%$@ing Eircom...

What is it with this crowd of ejits....sure they go out of there way to annoy the crap out of a person..

Ok Rant over.. problem is this:

I have an SMC Barricade 7904 WBRA2 Adsl router - worked fine untill a few weeks ago though over the last two months it was steadily getting worse trying to connect out on it. yesterday I went to the suppliers and had it changed for a new unit and still no joy in connecting out on broadband with it.

I've had more calls into there BB support that I near enough know everyone there now.

I use there crappy Netopia router and it'll connect but my own router no way (I'm using there router at the moment and it is just so slow)..

So I check the settings and recheck even look at there support site for basic router setup @ support.eircom.net/click on Broadband support and what do I find? The following;
Basic Modem Config:
Username: eircom
Password: broadband1
Encapsulation: PPPoE
Multiplexing: LLC Based
VPI: 8
VCI: 35
Primary DNS: 213.94.190.194 Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.236
I'm like Huh? WTF are you guys on? Encapsulation: PPPoE - Do you even know wtf Encapsulation is? Thats a protocol you dimwits.

So I'm talking (Nicely) To there support eh encapsulation is wrong... No sir the encapsulation is PPPoE

ME: No it isn't - it's either LLC or VC MUX - PPPoE is the protocol for the connection which is 'Encapsulated' in ATM (Bit more complicated than that though).

So this guy argues that my Router is wrong (It's not btw)

So how the fuck can anyone set up a router if they can't even get the basics right?

So basically I can connect out with there Netopia junk router but not my own..

What the hell? What is going on? Are you blocking third party routers?

Answer: No

So how come I can connect with a netopia router and not my own?
Your router is wrong (It's not btw)

Anyone else having issues with third party routers? Other than the SMC models (Or if you have SMC any problems?)

This is driving me nuts....

Annoying bastards - can't even writeup simple settings correctly

NB: Oh Yeah the Encapsulation setting btw is LLC not PPPoE ....
Old 15-09-2007, 12:48 PM

Got a friend who has his own router and is using eircom. no problems for him
Old 15-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Banned

Maybe you should try and contact SMC instead of frustrating yourself with eircom.

You connecting via a wired connection to the SMC or wireless?
Old 15-09-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto_the_bus_driver View Post
Maybe you should try and contact SMC instead of frustrating yourself with eircom.

You connecting via a wired connection to the SMC or wireless?
Setup is via standard rj45 (wired in other words) after that you can connect either way wireless or wired..

but thats no good if you can't get a dsl signal.. it's weird dsl came up on it about an hour ago for about 5 minutes but still no i.p. address or connection.

Was speaking with another technician who found that if your using a Belkin router then you have to use PPPoA not PPPoE - so I tried that and still no go.

Theres nothing wrong with the router - as is say I replaced that with anew unit yesterday....
Old 15-09-2007, 03:47 PM

I had similar trouble with the exact same router. I t worked fine for a few months then it started dropping the connection. I eventually had to go back to using the netopia router. I'm with didgiweb now. Thank god I dont have to deal with eircom anymore (well except for during work buts thats a different story)
Old 16-09-2007, 11:07 AM

its not eircoms problem.

basically whats happening is that eircom have been upgrading their dslams & exchanges, and the old firmware on your router is having difficulty syncing to the new hardware on the other end, very common problem, i deal with this all the time at work (not eircom)

what u gotta do is go back to your router manufacturer and look for a updated adsl firmware driver and hope it sorts it out.

if that fails, you can try getting a replacment / upgrade from the router manufacturer, something with a different chipset in the hope the other chipset will not have any compatibility issues with the dslam.

if you cant get a new firmware or different router - your goosed!
Old 16-09-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Beltram View Post
its not eircoms problem.

basically whats happening is that eircom have been upgrading their dslams & exchanges, and the old firmware on your router is having difficulty syncing to the new hardware on the other end, very common problem, i deal with this all the time at work (not eircom)

what u gotta do is go back to your router manufacturer and look for a updated adsl firmware driver and hope it sorts it out.

if that fails, you can try getting a replacment / upgrade from the router manufacturer, something with a different chipset in the hope the other chipset will not have any compatibility issues with the dslam.

if you cant get a new firmware or different router - your goosed!
Interesting you should say that - I tried a firmware upgrade though haven't on the new unit as yet.. will try it again.. see what happens...
Old 17-09-2007, 01:23 PM

best way to know 100% is to get another brand router to test on the line, record your results and report them to your router manufacturer, they will have to do somethign then, usually just upgrade your router for free.