Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old Today, 04:42 PM

So, Lads, How do ye think we'll do next season ?

The main issues for me are :-

1. Recruitment - I think that the lads coming in (Botha, Beirne & Haley) will just about balance the 3 lads we are losing (GG, Zebo & Copeland) - I know nothing about Botho but JVG knows him well and we have to assume he's quality.

2. Return from injury - That's an area where I see big gains - we have Taute, Farrell & Cloete coming back and they will make a huge difference. Arnold & Scannell did very well but are a few years off their peak. I dunno whether Farrell and Taute can play together ? Cloete is a superb 7 IMO, brilliant at the BD. I see Boomer doing well too. We look like losing JOD for a long time and TOD needs to recover.

4. Young lads stepping up to the plate - we had Wootton and Arnold come through last season and I hope we'll see FitzGerald, Nash & Johnston make their mark. Darren O Shea needs to perform as we'll need 4 decent 2nd rows.

5. Outhalf - The old bug bear. We've struggled here since ROG retired and unless Tyler can get fit and do the business, we need to invest big. I can't see Johnston be ready for a year or two and I doubt that JJ will ever get to the desired level.

6. Coach - JVG has had his settling in time and we will need him to produce. We need more creativity and the skill-set from our backs in the Pro 14 semi was abysmal. It's time for the management ticket to perform.

There's a lot of boxes to be ticked but we are not that far away and I'd be reasonably optimistic that a trophy isn't too far away.
Old Today, 04:52 PM

It will be ok as long as we don't get that massive barrage of injuries around the same time post Xmas. The team were very leggy and it showed. Should really have gone out to Toulon save for a wonder try and Arnold absolutely beasting himself for 80 minutes. How he didn't ruin himself during that I'll never know!

Botha will be a handy signing, all the more important now that JOD is out for a while. DOC needs to push on too, but there are plenty of options there now TOD to come back also and Oliver floating around.

There's a gap for back up 9 too, if Hart isn't deemed worry then JVG needs to play the new lads can't keep throwing Williams in for such little return.
Old Today, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly sham View Post
It will be ok as long as we don't get that massive barrage of injuries around the same time post Xmas. The team were very leggy and it showed. Should really have gone out to Toulon save for a wonder try and Arnold absolutely beasting himself for 80 minutes. How he didn't ruin himself during that I'll never know!

Botha will be a handy signing, all the more important now that JOD is out for a while. DOC needs to push on too, but there are plenty of options there now TOD to come back also and Oliver floating around.

There's a gap for back up 9 too, if Hart isn't deemed worry then JVG needs to play the new lads can't keep throwing Williams in for such little return.
I'd forgotten DOC as an option in the 2nd row. He played well once he recovered from injury. I think he could do well next season.

We've signed the Garryowen SH, Neil Cronin on a one yr deal. He played a few games a while back. He's the brother of the Leinster Hooker. We'll see if he can make the step up.

Botha will be used a lot IMO. I'm disappointed to see CJ and POM going to Oz as IMO they needed a break as they were s little stale after the Lions Tour.
Old Today, 11:05 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry K O Bama View Post
So, Lads, How do ye think we'll do next season ?

The main issues for me are :-

1. Recruitment - I think that the lads coming in (Botha, Beirne & Haley) will just about balance the 3 lads we are losing (GG, Zebo & Copeland) - I know nothing about Botho but JVG knows him well and we have to assume he's quality.

2. Return from injury - That's an area where I see big gains - we have Taute, Farrell & Cloete coming back and they will make a huge difference. Arnold & Scannell did very well but are a few years off their peak. I dunno whether Farrell and Taute can play together ? Cloete is a superb 7 IMO, brilliant at the BD. I see Boomer doing well too. We look like losing JOD for a long time and TOD needs to recover.

4. Young lads stepping up to the plate - we had Wootton and Arnold come through last season and I hope we'll see FitzGerald, Nash & Johnston make their mark. Darren O Shea needs to perform as we'll need 4 decent 2nd rows.

5. Outhalf - The old bug bear. We've struggled here since ROG retired and unless Tyler can get fit and do the business, we need to invest big. I can't see Johnston be ready for a year or two and I doubt that JJ will ever get to the desired level.

6. Coach - JVG has had his settling in time and we will need him to produce. We need more creativity and the skill-set from our backs in the Pro 14 semi was abysmal. It's time for the management ticket to perform.

There's a lot of boxes to be ticked but we are not that far away and I'd be reasonably optimistic that a trophy isn't too far away.
Personally,i think we are 4 or 5 years behind Leinster,in terms of squads.We are barely putting out a strong 15 just to cope with them,let alone a squad to rotate for internationals,Pro 14s and HC.The one advantage that Leinster hold over us is finance.Munster is crippled with debt.Whereas the ladyboys have nothing to worry about in that sense.We need a changing of the oul guard as well in the backroom.Garret Fitzgerald and the others need to make way for new blood.I think we will always be held to ransom by our stronger players and they will move on.Fair dues to Leinster they seem to be able to manage to keep everyone happy(at least for now).Anyways medium to longterm we haven't a feckin chance.French clubs are getting richer and stronger along with Scottish and Welsh provinces getting there houses in order.Its probably only a matter of time before the 'Limeys' catch up again.So,in short lads......We're doomed!