Irish team named - Page 6 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 06-09-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emurf View Post
Why ?
Not you, just that it would be a typical response from one of the rugby haters.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend76 View Post
The only time a player had to actually play for his sham "club" in the professional era was when Leinster fecked up the paperwork and Felipe Contepomi had to play for Carlow.

by the way lads the SFI would love this

Webb-Ellis at Rugby, 1823, A more modern version of the great moment when he picked up the ball and ran with it
Fitzy alert......the webb ellis story is bollocks..

Quote:
"The "Rugby" Game
by Sean Fagan

The origins of rugby league in Great Britain go back long before the creation in 1895 of the Northern Union. To understand the history of the game itself, requires an appreciation of the common "rugby" ancestor shared by both the two rugby codes.

In 1800's, formalities were introduced to football rules in the seven major public schools of England. Six of the seven schools were largely playing the same game (including Eton, Harrow and Winchester) - while the seventh, Rugby School (founded in 1567) at Warwickshire, was playing a markedly different version of football.

The other schools moved ahead refining their rules and eventually their game became known as "association football" - soccer. How the Rugby School's game developed differently is lost in history and the true story is unlikely to ever be known.

The Rugby Football Union's (RFU) much revered tale of how in 1823 the young Rugby School student, William Webb Ellis, "in a fine disregard for the rules" picked up the ball and ran with it in a defining moment in sports history is now accepted by sports historians as being fanciful and a gross distortion of what is known.

There is no doubt that Ellis was a student at Rugby School from 1816 to 1825, but he was never mentioned by anyone as having done the actual deed ascribed to him. The first reference to Ellis appeared in a Rugby School magazine in 1875 (four years after Ellis' death) by an Old Rugbeian, M. Bloxham, who was endeavoring to refute claims that rugby was an ancient game.

Bloxham's story has always been in doubt because of the time that had passed since Ellis supposedly ran with the ball. Bloxham himself was not there and no living person could corroborate his version of events. In addition, examination of existing records and documented recollections does not show that the Rugby game dramatically changed after one event (i.e. Ellis or anyone else deciding to run with the ball).

Handling the ball was permitted in football in the early 1800's when players were allowed to take a mark and then a free kick, long before Ellis arrived at Rugby. In fact, most of the public schools allowed forms of handling the ball right up until the formation of the Football Association in the 1860's. The Association even considered whether to allow its continuation, before eventually deciding to outlaw it. The reverse picture that the RFU has painted that the rugby game was born from soccer the moment Ellis picked up the ball and ran with it is clearly, even with very little examination, false.

What is known is that at Rugby School by the 1830's running with the ball was in common use, the goal posts had been extended to 18 feet high (with a cross-bar at 10 feet above the ground) and there were forms of scrummaging and line-outs. The inclusion of the crossbar was accompanied by a rule that a goal could only be scored by the ball passing over the bar from a place kick or drop kick. Apparently, this was done to make scoring easier from further out and to avoid the horde of defenders standing in the goal mouth.

Players who were able to "touch-down" the ball behind the opponents goal line were awarded a "try-at-goal" - the player would make a mark on the goal line and then walk back onto the field of play to a point where a place kick at the goal was possible (a conversion). There was also an "off-your-side" rule used to keep the teams apart and passing the ball forward was not allowed. The rules were first seriously agreed upon and documented when former Rugby students and clubs wanted to commence formal competitions outside of the Rugby School in 1862. Many of the clubs that formed around this period would later become rugby league clubs.
More background on origin of the sport here...
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rugby-222...-vs-league.htm
Old 07-09-2007, 07:56 AM

FFS SFI I would have expected ye to be all over that one...here I am doing yer job for ye, slapless fools.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:17 AM

French rugby league, Vichy government etc, etc.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:52 AM

Many Munster-contracted players play week in week out with their clubs if not involved with the Munster set-up at that time or are just coming back from injury. Anthony Horgan went back to Con in early 2006 for a good long run to get his confidence back. Keith Earls is currently off in France with Garryowen at clubs competition. In terms of the frontline players. It was much more common even 3-4 years ago than it is now. It would still happen but only rarely
Old 07-09-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raZor View Post
Says the self proclaimed legend, self praise is no praise, no praise at all.

You said Contepomi was the only player to play for the club in the professional era, which is in fact wrong.
what i actually said was

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend76 View Post
The only time a player had to actually play for his sham "club" in the professional era was when Leinster fecked up the paperwork and Felipe Contepomi had to play for Carlow.
I didn't say "Contepmomi was the only player to play for a club" i said he was the only one who HAD to play for his "sham" club

I do see how this could be taken out of context

again i was answering a silly question, so forgive the silly answer