tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
"Great touch for a big man" - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 10-09-2008, 10:17 AM

Default "Great touch for a big man"

Tall people are really awkward in general aren't they?

I remember in the 80s when I was primarily a Gaelic Football follower, there were a few cracking little nippy corner forwards.

That sort of player seems to have become more sidelined in recent years but surely quality ball into space for speedy forwards to run on to is still a great option to have?

For all big forwards offer, they aren't half slow getting to the ball played along the deck.

Cork are supposedly looking for more big, ball winning forwards in the hurling team and, yet, surely the problem is that such guys are also awkward as fuck and frequently not great natural hurlers?

I would say around six foot is the ideal height, anything much more than that and you get into gangly and weak and/or very clumsy and slow.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolaKubes View Post
Tall people are really awkward in general aren't they?

I remember in the 80s when I was primarily a Gaelic Football follower, there were a few cracking little nippy corner forwards.

That sort of player seems to have become more sidelined in recent years but surely quality ball into space for speedy forwards to run on to is still a great option to have?

For all big forwards offer, they aren't half slow getting to the ball played along the deck.

Cork are supposedly looking for more big, ball winning forwards in the hurling team and, yet, surely the problem is that such guys are also awkward as fuck and frequently not great natural hurlers?

I would say around six foot is the ideal height, anything much more than that and you get into gangly and weak and/or very clumsy and slow.
are we talking hurling or football?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
are we talking hurling or football?
Especially football.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:39 AM

well you look at the Kilkenny side last Sunday and they are all tall men, strong, agile and they have a fantastic touch. Then you looked at Shanahan and Prendergast at the other end and they were the complete opposite, slow, awkward and with the touch of a blind rapist.

In football, Gooch is your classic nippy forward, but even he is still 6 foot. Tommy Walsh then is your big strong footballer with a great touch, Donaghy too to a lesser extent.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolaKubes View Post
Especially football.
I remember a lot of lovely little corner forwards in the 80 and early 90's, but there have been a few in the naughties too. Dolan, Browne, Gooch, Canavan spring to mind. I'm not sure it holds.

What is true is that player are becoming stronger and fitter, and even the likes of the Gooch has to become physical to get by
Old 10-09-2008, 10:53 AM

john cleary
socks down
face of constipated determination
he was a small guy
Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 AM

John O Driscoll wasn't the tallest guy either, come to think of it, himself and especially John Fitzgibbon could have been in the Coolest Corkman list
Old 10-09-2008, 10:16 PM

I remember John O'Driscoll playing for Ireland vs the Aussies in the compromise rules age 17. He was outstanding. But for injury he would have been a great inter-county forward, he had it all.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:31 PM

The height is important particularly more so in hurling as we see with Killkenny it allows them to jump higher with a better reach to catch the sliotar in the one hand, and then off they go and send the sliotar over the bar for a point or bear an attack down on goal.

You need different builds in different positions, obviously in defense you would prefer a big build of a player some what like 'sully' whereas up front you may opt for the smaller player such as Joe Deane who is only 5'7

The West Cork PROC social group
Old 10-09-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
I remember John O'Driscoll playing for Ireland vs the Aussies in the compromise rules age 17. He was outstanding. But for injury he would have been a great inter-county forward, he had it all.
Thats some memory seeing as it didnt happen