tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Paddy Jackson - still looking for a new team - Page 41 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #401  
Old 15-06-2019, 11:26 AM
CaptainSensible CaptainSensible is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 5,825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingin View Post
This could turn out pretty bad for Diageo and the alcohol lobby in the long run. They've inadvertantly shone a light on alcohol industry links with sport. Alcohol sponsorship is a contentious issue in the UK and here in Ireland but the lobbyists have been fighting tooth and nail to keep the alcohol sponsorship in the game. A big pull was Diageo being huge backers to Ireland's catastrophic rugby world cup bid. They've been working hard to dilute the alcohol bill and to remove any notion of limiting sponsorship of sports teams and events. By pandering to the wishes of a crowd of Twitter warriors they may just have opened the discussion around alcohol sponsorship in sport, and undid the work of their lobbying arm.
I doubt it to be fair, simply because it is London Irish and not a big fish. How many people would have known or given two shits about London Irish up to this furore, in Diageos eyes they are probably using LI to advance the opposite what you express, namely we do take our responsibilities seriously and our action against LI show this.

Of course the above is horseshit as there is no way they would pull the plug on a well supported or prominent team like the Irish national team for the above reasons, because that would have a seriously negative impact on their sales, playing god and sitting on their high horse with regards to London Irish enables them to get some cheap publicity and as you say pander to the twitter crowd but at no real cost simply because it is London Irish with their 2-3K supporters or whatever it is.
Reply With Quote
  #402  
Old 15-06-2019, 11:38 AM
jimmym jimmym is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 21,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSensible View Post
I doubt it to be fair, simply because it is London Irish and not a big fish. How many people would have known or given two shits about London Irish up to this furore, in Diageos eyes they are probably using LI to advance the opposite what you express, namely we do take our responsibilities seriously and our action against LI show this.

Of course the above is horseshit as there is no way they would pull the plug on a well supported or prominent team like the Irish national team for the above reasons, because that would have a seriously negative impact on their sales, playing god and sitting on their high horse with regards to London Irish enables them to get some cheap publicity and as you say pander to the twitter crowd but at no real cost simply because it is London Irish with their 2-3K supporters or whatever it is.
That is true, Can you imagine them doing the same if it was the irish national team and the knock on efffect if you pardon the pun of no diageo products sold in aviva stadium bars,
Reply With Quote
  #403  
Old 15-06-2019, 01:02 PM
jimmym jimmym is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 21,144
Default

Somebody made a valid point on another thread about donal og been back on rte ,he wrote a letter in support of tom Humphries, should rte have allowed him back? Does it go against their principles?
Reply With Quote
  #404  
Old 16-06-2019, 08:15 AM
Lee Bushwacker Lee Bushwacker is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ireland and Europe
Posts: 26,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
That is true, Can you imagine them doing the same if it was the irish national team and the knock on efffect if you pardon the pun of no diageo products sold in aviva stadium bars,
👍
Good stuff J.
It would be interesting to see the Diageo reaction if Jackson were to be recalled to the Irish XV. Unlikely I know but it would put the cynical turds in a huge moral/financial dilemma.
Reply With Quote
  #405  
Old 16-06-2019, 08:41 AM
doppellanger doppellanger is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: eins zwei drei feen funf
Posts: 9,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
Fergus slattery has spoken of how he completely disagrees with Diageo,
Eddie o sullivan fears jacksons career could be over now,That would be totally unjust, Fergus finlay is some tosser he says he was disgusted with their laddish behaviour and the amount of drink consumed yet he applauds Diageos decision,
Actually, this is probably the tack Diageo should have taken. They should have said the youngfellas didn't drink responsibly and given that as the reason, side-stepping all the rapey misogynisty stuff.
__________________
The irony of it all: http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com...ad.php?t=56443
Reply With Quote
  #406  
Old 16-06-2019, 09:43 AM
TheEarlofPearl TheEarlofPearl is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 12,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
Fergus slattery has spoken of how he completely disagrees with Diageo,
Eddie o sullivan fears jacksons career could be over now,That would be totally unjust, Fergus finlay is some tosser he says he was disgusted with their laddish behaviour and the amount of drink consumed yet he applauds Diageos decision,
It won't be over at all because he will always have an option to go back to France, he would still be with Perpignon if they weren't relegated.
Reply With Quote
  #407  
Old 16-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Philby Philby is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 20,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
I can see why having to read through that piece of verbal diahorrea might drive the reader to extreme actions.

"At no point did Mr Jackson intervene to challenge other members of the group on the use of the word “brassers” or otherwise"

Hang him.

http://dermotfeenan.com/index.php/blog/
Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old 16-06-2019, 11:54 AM
longbigandjuicy longbigandjuicy is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,144
Default

Will he make the world Cup squad?
Reply With Quote
  #409  
Old 16-06-2019, 11:56 AM
TheEarlofPearl TheEarlofPearl is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 12,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbigandjuicy View Post
Will he make the world Cup squad?
No.
Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old 16-06-2019, 11:57 AM
jimmym jimmym is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 21,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbigandjuicy View Post
Will he make the world Cup squad?
Oh god I'd love if he did
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




Artists’ Film International (AFI) - Part 1

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼







All times are GMT. The time now is 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.