tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Alcohol Minimum Pricing - Page 2 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 09-11-2017, 10:50 AM

"Originally Posted by :

“We have consistently argued that if the Government feel that pricing is an instrument that should be used to reduce consumption then they should increase the excise duty on alcohol and ring fence any extra revenue generated for alcohol abuse prevention, education and treatment measures.
“We are also supportive of ending the practise of below cost selling and banning the advertising of such.” concluded Sinn Fein Deputy Ó Caoláin."

Great idea. Reminds me of what they do in America with weed. They tax the shit out of it and use the extra money for rehab and education. Not to mention the money used to fix water mains and roads etc.

•In Nevada, revenue from a 15% tax on wholesalers gets funneled into the state’s education budget, while a 10% tax on retail sales gets put into the state’s rainy day fund.
•Colorado, the first state to legalize recreational marijuana sales, has raised more than $500 million in tax revenue since January 2014. This comes from a 2.9% state tax on all marijuana sales along with an additional 15% excise tax and 10% special tax for adult-use weed sales.
•In Oregon, the state tax on recreational marijuana is 17% and local governments can vote to add municipal tax of up to 3% on each sale. The largest portion of this revenue goes to education, with the rest going to law enforcement, addiction treatment, and cities and counties around the state.
•Washington levies a 37% tax on adult-use weed purchases. Legal sales of recreational marijuana in Washington state began in July 2014.
•In Alaska there is a $50 tax on each ounce of marijuana buds or flowers and a $15-per-ounce tax for the remainder of the plant.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playwide View Post
It's a nasty drug.
Tax the fuck out of it.
Something to be said for this arguement. People need to see and treat alcohol for what it is - a drug which has half this country fucked.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri LeHat View Post
Something to be said for this arguement. People need to see and treat alcohol for what it is - a drug which has half this country fucked.
Increasing the price won't change that. It's already more expensive then most countries outside Scandinavia.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo Creed View Post
Increasing the price won't change that. It's already more expensive then most countries outside Scandinavia.
Needs to be dont in combination with other measures, education, regulation, etc. A price increase is needed. Its a drug not a grocery item.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri LeHat View Post
Needs to be dont in combination with other measures, education, regulation, etc. A price increase is needed. Its a drug not a grocery item.
I could get on board if the tax was ring-fenced to pay for that but it doesn't and won't happen. It's a revenue making exercise for the government and an attempt to push people back into over priced pubs under the pretence of a health measure.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:14 AM
Senior PROC Member

How many alcohol distribution points are there within 5 km of you? Shops, petrol stations, pubs, off license?

How many rehabilitation places within 30km?

That is the issue.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo Creed View Post
I could get on board if the tax was ring-fenced to pay for that but it doesn't and won't happen. It's a revenue making exercise for the government and an attempt to push people back into over priced pubs under the pretence of a health measure.
Yes - the money needs to be ring-fenced or it is just a sham.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethelred View Post
How many alcohol distribution points are there within 5 km of you? Shops, petrol stations, pubs, off license?

How many rehabilitation places within 30km?

That is the issue.
No it's not. That would only make sense if everyone who consumed alcohol needed rehab. The vast majority of people who consume alcohol don't need rehab.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:05 PM

Alcohol is a depressant.
It is widely available in a country where suicide is happening all too often.
Alcohol can be linked to aggression, anger,anxious or depressed moods.

The Government have brought in a law stating "L" drivers need a qualified driver with them due to 11 deaths on Irish roads by lone "L" drivers.

But fuck all is done about the 1000+ people a year who die in Ireland due to alcohol abuse not mentioning the broken homes and kids produced by it.

It's one nasty drug so tax the fuck out of it.
If you want a pint. Pay also for the destruction it causes.

Fair is fair.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playwide View Post
Alcohol is a depressant.
It is widely available in a country where suicide is happening all too often.
Alcohol can be linked to aggression, anger,anxious or depressed moods.

The Government have brought in a law stating "L" drivers need a qualified driver with them due to 11 deaths on Irish roads by lone "L" drivers.

But fuck all is done about the 1000+ people a year who die in Ireland due to alcohol abuse not mentioning the broken homes and kids produced by it.

It's one nasty drug so tax the fuck out of it.
If you want a pint. Pay also for the destruction it causes.

Fair is fair.
This came up in another thread yesterday too. If you are going down that route (and it's not without it's merits might I add) then get ready to draw up a long list . It should include everything from your laptop, mobile phone , chocolate , coffee and even the clothes on your back.

Alcohol probably sticks out like a sore thumb to you because you can see first hand and very visibly the destruction it causes . However it is not the only product available to consumers that causes destruction and human misery.