The Hurling Thread - Page 1729 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 16-06-2019, 01:39 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
get ready for Anthony "Lookit" Daly's insight at half time.
An awful f**king dope.
Old 16-06-2019, 01:44 PM
Senior PROC Member

Lads, worth listening back to newstalk conversation just now. Michael Lyster is on and he was speaking about his time on the Sunday Game and how the panellists used to drive him crazy, refusing to call out cynicism in hurling. Cyril Farrell gets rightly name-checked.
Old 17-06-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarlofPearl View Post
I don't think they will win an AI either but I am curious as to the too many average hurlers though, how many do they have compared to us?
I think that KK panel have a load of average hurlers as measured against the standard that's required to win an AI. Judging them over the last few years up to last Sat I would say the likes of Deegan, Billy Ryan, Aylward, Richie Leahy, Blanchfield, John Donnelly, Bill Sheehan, Alan Murphy, Enda Morrissey while all obviously decent hurlers are not good enough to get their county over the AI line. That's just my opinion of course.

Hugely reliant of TJ (and to a lesser extent Fennelly) for scores and just not enough other quality forwards around. Even the young pretender (Mullen) still has a lot to prove. The word is he's fond of the good life and not yet mature enough to step up.

And while Paul Murphy is probably worth his place in the team, that's more a reflection of the other defenders on the panel - Murphy isn't half the player he was in his prime.

How many average hurlers do they have compared to us? After yesterday's abject performance, that's a moot question. But bad and all as we were I'd still strongly fancy us to take them if we meet in an AI quarter final.
Old 17-06-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvhurling View Post
I think that KK panel have a load of average hurlers as measured against the standard that's required to win an AI. Judging them over the last few years up to last Sat I would say the likes of Deegan, Billy Ryan, Aylward, Richie Leahy, Blanchfield, John Donnelly, Bill Sheehan, Alan Murphy, Enda Morrissey while all obviously decent hurlers are not good enough to get their county over the AI line. That's just my opinion of course.

Hugely reliant of TJ (and to a lesser extent Fennelly) for scores and just not enough other quality forwards around. Even the young pretender (Mullen) still has a lot to prove. The word is he's fond of the good life and not yet mature enough to step up.

And while Paul Murphy is probably worth his place in the team, that's more a reflection of the other defenders on the panel - Murphy isn't half the player he was in his prime.

How many average hurlers do they have compared to us? After yesterday's abject performance, that's a moot question. But bad and all as we were I'd still strongly fancy us to take them if we meet in an AI quarter final.
I'd agree with that. Kilkenny will never be a one man team but TJ Reid almost has them at that level. Keep him relatively quiet and they'll struggle.

However, even if Reid not available, not sure if I'd fancy our chances if O' Dwyer was reffing the game.
Old 17-06-2019, 10:58 AM

Should E Murphy have been booked for his great save as he went in feet high on the wexford player.
Old 17-06-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel CNC View Post
I'd agree with that. Kilkenny will never be a one man team but TJ Reid almost has them at that level. Keep him relatively quiet and they'll struggle.

However, even if Reid not available, not sure if I'd fancy our chances if O' Dwyer was reffing the game.
ah lads - take Hoggie out of the Cork team and it would be open season!
Old 17-06-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesball View Post
Should E Murphy have been booked for his great save as he went in feet high on the wexford player.
According to Brian Gavin in the Paper Murphy should be given "the benefit of the doubt". To have a chuckle on a Monday read Gavin analysis of any KK match. A FOX NEWS motto springs to mind.

– Séan Ó Faoláin
Old 17-06-2019, 11:18 AM

A lot of talk walking out of Ennis yesterday around the place about how the AI is Tipp's to lose. Don't see it that way. I personally think that Cork, Limerick, Kilkenny and Tipp are fighting this out. I can't see Dublin or Wexford being a real threat to the AI title this year...

If Kilkenny win Leinster, I see Cork taking Wexford in a 1/4 and all of sudden we've momentum coming into a KK or a Tipp or a Limerick...

Hope we give the likes of Dalton, O'Mahony, Joyce, Cahalane, Kingstin game time vs Laois/Westmeath.
Old 17-06-2019, 11:21 AM

Cork have conceded 4-40 in last two games, some may point that we werenot
at full power but surely defenders take great pride in keeping scores to a minimum no matter what the occasion, Id say Tipp with their age profile will want to win munster final and go direct route,
Old 17-06-2019, 11:21 AM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvhurling View Post

One thing Kilkenny have that cork done have is a strong spin to the Defense and without one I can’t see cork winning an all Ireland