tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
the wine thread - Page 194 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1931  
Old 06-10-2019, 04:20 PM
doppellanger doppellanger is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: eins zwei drei feen funf
Posts: 10,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drucker View Post
Remind me again why it’s illegal to drive a car registered in another EU state here if you’re a permanent resident here-I’ve got all day.
Sounds like you've been at the EU Kool-Aid rather than the auld vino, m8.

On topic, is it a thing that if the summer is very dry then the white wines are dark? The local 2018s (Saale Unstrut) all seem to be darker than usual. Had a nice Grauburgunder Kabinett over the weekend.
__________________
The irony of it all: http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com...ad.php?t=56443
Reply With Quote
  #1932  
Old 03-11-2019, 02:30 PM
Happyhonkaman Happyhonkaman is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 20,630
Default

I was tipped off that Lidl have their Valpolicella Superiore reduced to €4.49 for yesterday and today, and it’s very drinkable stuff by all accounts

I picked up a case of 12.. they’ll go into mulled wine if no good
Reply With Quote
  #1933  
Old 03-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Great-Bit-O-Stuff Great-Bit-O-Stuff is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: contemplatio
Posts: 8,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
I was tipped off that Lidl have their Valpolicella Superiore reduced to €4.49 for yesterday and today, and it’s very drinkable stuff by all accounts

I picked up a case of 12.. they’ll go into mulled wine if no good
I love mulling wine at Christmas but it always gives me a banging headache the next day for some reason.
Reply With Quote
  #1934  
Old 03-11-2019, 07:11 PM
Happyhonkaman Happyhonkaman is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 20,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great-Bit-O-Stuff View Post
I love mulling wine at Christmas but it always gives me a banging headache the next day for some reason.
Love it myself.. you can smell it the minute you walk in the door at Christmas. Have been handed on a recipe that makes great stuff
Reply With Quote
  #1935  
Old 03-11-2019, 11:35 PM
Great-Bit-O-Stuff Great-Bit-O-Stuff is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: contemplatio
Posts: 8,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
Love it myself.. you can smell it the minute you walk in the door at Christmas. Have been handed on a recipe that makes great stuff
I use the sachets from Dunnes about two of them to a batch, tangerines with juice added and honey with a little bit of water and let it simmer for a while. I know I cheat with the sachets but couldn't be arsed with muslin and the like.
Reply With Quote
  #1936  
Old 04-11-2019, 08:39 AM
Happyhonkaman Happyhonkaman is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 20,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great-Bit-O-Stuff View Post
I use the sachets from Dunnes about two of them to a batch, tangerines with juice added and honey with a little bit of water and let it simmer for a while. I know I cheat with the sachets but couldn't be arsed with muslin and the like.
I'd say everyone does it differently, that's kind of the point!

I make it from scratch but I dont bother with the muslin, I fire everything into the pot and lade it out without the likes of the cinnamon

I roast oranges spiked with cloves first, then cut them into chunks on the tray to keep the juices, and pour the lot into a big pot. Then in with the wine, star anise, cinnamon sticks, freshly ground nutmeg and a splash of brandy. adding demerara sugar slowly to get it just beyond tart but not sweet.. simmer a while and Christmas has begun

mmmmm.. I can nearly smell it off that post
Reply With Quote
  #1937  
Old 04-11-2019, 01:50 PM
Great-Bit-O-Stuff Great-Bit-O-Stuff is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: contemplatio
Posts: 8,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
I'd say everyone does it differently, that's kind of the point!

I make it from scratch but I dont bother with the muslin, I fire everything into the pot and lade it out without the likes of the cinnamon

I roast oranges spiked with cloves first, then cut them into chunks on the tray to keep the juices, and pour the lot into a big pot. Then in with the wine, star anise, cinnamon sticks, freshly ground nutmeg and a splash of brandy. adding demerara sugar slowly to get it just beyond tart but not sweet.. simmer a while and Christmas has begun

mmmmm.. I can nearly smell it off that post
I like the idea of the roasted oranges, I might give that a go now!
Reply With Quote
  #1938  
Old 04-11-2019, 09:51 PM
an liathroid beag an liathroid beag is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 16,537
Default

Time for the annual wine run to France
__________________
A woman drove me to drink!-and I forgot to thank her!
Reply With Quote
  #1939  
Old 23-12-2019, 07:45 AM
Carmona Carmona is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 10,926
Default

The Christmas Wine list. (Hopefully Mangey_y gets a day-pass and can enjoy a sip or two)

What ye having for the old Yuletide meals, folks? So far I have a few Spanish lads up from the cellar, might add an Italian or two to vary.

Martelo 2014 - had one of these recently. A lovely wine, medium bodied. Maybe with the bird itself on the 25th.

Viña Ardanza 2009 - more old style, classic Rioja. Hopefully still fruity enough. The last two of these I had I thought one was a bit thin and disappointing and one was beautiful.

Miguel Meriño Vitola 2013. Just realised they're all Riojas!! Will definitely have to purchase something a bit different today or tomorrow. Either that or swap one of these for a Ribera del Duero. A friend gave us what should be a cracking bottle last week. It's a Villacreces 25. I know the standard one, in fact I had already got one ready to serve him, but this is a special anniversary number.

As for white...... Dunno, maybe a bottle of bubbly with the seafood on the 24th.

So, anything really special being popped this year then?

Wines, lads.
__________________
"What business doe's a woman have threating a man"

No comment.
Reply With Quote
  #1940  
Old 24-12-2019, 09:28 AM
Derek B Derek B is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 997
Default

"Really special" is stretching it but I picked up a few bottles yesterday.

A nice white Trebbiolo for the starters, a young Pinotage for something different, and 2 Riojas.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump







PROC Gig Guide
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stephanie Rainey
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

Saturday 20th February @ 7:30 pm



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.