tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Mac not booting? - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 AM

Default Mac not booting?

Hi-lo. Intel Macbook Pro, Running 10.5.3

She froze last night while herself was on the internet, would not even allow a force close. Now after the grey apple start up screen, the screen just goes blue. Now she will only boot in safe mode.

I've tried resetting the NVRAM (Command+option+p+r) to no avail. I have no OX software handy either.

Any suggestions/advice, besides feck it out the window and buy a PC, will be gratefully received.

Edit: It is also now telling me that I have no wi-fi card installed. Is this because of safe boot, or another issue?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:51 PM

my guess is you need a new hard drive.. not crazy expensive to take care of but youll loose everything you didnt have backed up
Old 05-01-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankeechops View Post
Hi-lo. Intel Macbook Pro, Running 10.5.3

She froze last night while herself was on the internet, would not even allow a force close. Now after the grey apple start up screen, the screen just goes blue. Now she will only boot in safe mode.

I've tried resetting the NVRAM (Command+option+p+r) to no avail. I have no OX software handy either.

Any suggestions/advice, besides feck it out the window and buy a PC, will be gratefully received.

Edit: It is also now telling me that I have no wi-fi card installed. Is this because of safe boot, or another issue?
What happens when you run First Aid on it in Disk Utility?
Old 06-01-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus-me View Post
my guess is you need a new hard drive.. not crazy expensive to take care of but youll loose everything you didnt have backed up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bin Hex 12 View Post
What happens when you run First Aid on it in Disk Utility?
hard drive and verify disk both seem to pan out ok... (Frankee had it down to me)...

manage to get it booting in safe mode so data can be recovered... I'm half suspecting the drive myself but least he can back up the data and the rest is simple enough to sort....just replace drive and re-install...
Old 06-01-2013, 05:53 PM

Typical tech way when ye don't know what's wrong with something
Old 06-01-2013, 06:52 PM

before replacing the drive, can you not just back up and then reinstall the OS? - archive and install - or even better a fresh install. it could just be a corrupted OS, which does happen on Apples.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:56 PM

I have the data backed up now so I'm going to try a fresh OS install and see where that gets me.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:10 PM

I would run disk utility, repair disk permissions before doing a clean install.

The symptoms described suggest something is up with your hard drive. Once you are backed up and safe in the knowledge that you have all your information, run disk utility and clear any errors if any, the same goes for disk permissions.

Drop me a PM if you need a bootable software dis, also have a bootable diagnostic diskwarrior which could help you get out of a bind.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 AM

don't bother reinstalling yet. Boot it to safe boot - go to system preferences - users.
Then click on your user and find login items. delete them all n restart, thats whats most likely causing it to get stuck on the bluescreen.

Now if that doesn't work do a reinstall and make sure to update the os to 10.5.8 loads of fixes in there for other crap you thats happened along the way
Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 AM

This is always worth a try http://applejack.sourceforge.net/