tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Best 7" or 10" tablet? - Page 6 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 11-03-2012, 03:53 PM

I suppose it should be made clear though that just because the Android OS has that feature, it doesn't necessarily mean that App developers will use it.
I lot of app devs just assume that their app will continue running in the background when in fact the OS will arbitrarily kill off any background apps it sees fit to conserve resources. When testing/debugging on their desk they don't really get to see this behaviour and assume that their app will always be running. Don't make the mistake of believing this is the fault of the OS, it's not..
Old 11-03-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-your-body View Post
Only some specific apps have been written to run in the background like InstaCast and Tom Tom for example.
This goes to my earlier point. It's not that they have been written to run in the background, it's just that they have been allowed (by Apple) to get access to the background threads, InstaCast uses the aforementioned audio thread.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastesLikeChicken View Post
This goes to my earlier point. It's not that they have been written to run in the background, it's just that they have been allowed (by Apple) to get access to the background threads, InstaCast uses the aforementioned audio thread.
Was thinking this to be the case too, but couldn't verify it. Nice one.

Dirty commie........

I'll let the crazy rant go this time!
Old 11-03-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
The apps freeze. There are a few threads in the system that are immune to that. The audio thread is one (that's how your music can play in the background) but it's extremely difficult to get your app onto one of those threads and good luck getting it past the App Store police.

You already do. Android gives you the best of both worlds. There is very little that the Android SDK prohibits you from doing (and anything that is prohibited is always available through the NDK (although some things may require root)).
In fact - every Activity in android has some explicit entry points just for these things (onCreate, onPause, onDestroy and critically onResume). In fact, the default prototype for onResume is

in a properly coded app, the icicle variable will contain the state information required to get your app back to the state it was in before it was killed.

Thanking you sir. I wonder if there's an actual app that can force Android apps into those various States?

Tis nice to get such insight like this from a dev like yourself.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Thanking you sir. I wonder if there's an actual app that can force Android apps into those various States?
I'm not sure what that would achieve though? Why would you want to force an app into one of these states? The OS has a well defined life cycle for apps, it's up to the apps themselves to detect and react to these life cycle changes. Forcing a state on an app would just lead to undefined behaviour. The operating system scheduler is really best placed to make these decisions.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:53 PM

I was merely thinking about keeping down resource usage in the case of apps that do not need to be active in the background.

In the case of programmers who have not implemented in their apps already.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I was merely thinking about keeping down resource usage in the case of apps that do not need to be active in the background.

In the case of programmers who have not implemented in their apps already.
The android OS will take care of this for you though.
If you really want to do this yourself get any task manager from the market (Advanced Task Manager is a good one) and try it out..
Old 11-03-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
The android OS will take care of this for you though.
If you really want to do this yourself get any task manager from the market (Advanced Task Manager is a good one) and try it out..

Cheers, will do!

Probably on an emulator for now.

Speaking of which, do you have any idea which android emulator is the best for PC?

Performance wise and that's not too difficiult to use.

Is the official SDK emulator the one to go with?

Cheers feen.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:47 PM

all this talk of app development!

i just found a gem of an app for the playbook (its actually an android app) called Noelle.

it allows me to send webtext messeges from my vodafone webtext account straight from the tablet. It logs me in automatically and stores contacts etc. delighted!

i apologise if this is not so new (for a quality-app starved playbook user, its a godsend).
Old 11-03-2012, 08:41 PM

Fuck apologiees, information ftw.

That sounds like a nifty app,
there's another one called JellySMS that's pretty much on every platform
and supports all the Irish providers and more....

http://www.jellysms.com

For a complete compatibility breakdown click here:

http://www.jellysms.com/supported-providers/

There can be a bit of downtime every now and then though, due to sites like o2 constantly changing their webtext.
If you're soley using vodafone you might be better off sticking to Noelle, not sure how they compare.