tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Best 7" or 10" tablet? - Page 5 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 11-03-2012, 11:04 AM

apple doesn't do app multi tasking either, and the thing remains a tad expensive.

to be honest one of the nicest features of the playbook is being able to video chat and check mail at the same time, or write an email and check things on the web, or watch a video and then half way through just check football scores etc etc.

but yes, i think if we were offered an iPad for free, or at a reduced price, we would snap hands off.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-your-body View Post
Seriously, there's just no other alternative with that kind of display.

Not even from the chinese!

Not even from Samsung themselves. edit: rumours of a higher res sammy galaxy display among the interwebz

want.

Still no memory card slot, or USB otg though, grumble grumble.

But that would be too selfless of apple wouldn't it.
Apple don't make their own displays, so there'll be half a dozen companies with an equivalent display by the summer.

I'd be interested to see the GLBenchmark results on the A5X, see what they're doing with the graphics processor.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umma08 View Post
apple doesn't do app multi tasking either, and the thing remains a tad expensive.

to be honest one of the nicest features of the playbook is being able to video chat and check mail at the same time, or write an email and check things on the web, or watch a video and then half way through just check football scores etc etc.

but yes, i think if we were offered an iPad for free, or at a reduced price, we would snap hands off.

You can multitask a good while now since iOS 4 came out....

Although with half the amount of RAM of the Playbook/Galaxy tab, you won't be able to have too much open I'd imagine.

The IPad 3 will have 1GB though suppossively.

But yeah the price of the playbook is unbeatable and tempting.

Just how much is android compatibility limited on the Playbook though?

I wouldn't care much for OS2, i might wait and see if Samsung supposively bring out this "Galaxy Tab 11.6" which is rumoured everywhere.

This is a nice little android trick also, load ubuntu in the background and VNC into it so you can see the GUI....

Last edited by jack-your-body; 11-03-2012 at 01:39 PM..
Old 11-03-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
You can multitask a good while now since iOS 4 came out....
It's not proper multi-tasking.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastesLikeChicken View Post
It's not proper multi-tasking.
as in the apps just freeze or go in standby when you switch to another?
Old 11-03-2012, 02:20 PM

Those BASTARDS!

Those filthy commie BASTARDS!

Old 11-03-2012, 02:25 PM

It would be nice to have the option of that Freeze feature in android though,

for apps that you do not want running in the background and using resources, like games etc...

Fucking hell though, downloading a torrent on an iPad must be a pain.l...

Old 11-03-2012, 02:47 PM

the android compatibility is there now for QNX, and seems pretty robust to be honest.

The porting is supposedly quite easy yet some apps transfer better then others, but i guess that is to be expected!

The one thing though now is that there are hundreds of Android apps being ported every week, and the vast majority of them are utter crap!

Its really f ing annoying to be honest, as you have to wade through all these new arrivals before you find a decent one. I guess i am getting about 2 good apps a week, the rest are either woefully simple, not well programmed or meant for other markets (language) etc etc.

with the QNX system - it is proper multi tasking. i can type a word document or send an email, while a movie or a video chat is active in the background. Indeed i can talk on the video chat to the missus, while searching the web for a link, and then emailing her the info - thats 3 different apps running seamlessly at the same time.

pretty impressive i reckon for 160 quid (seen them even cheaper now on ebay)
Old 11-03-2012, 03:10 PM

That's the job. Definitely seems the best value for that price range, and seems like everything you were expecting from it.

Okay I did a little more research on iOS multitasking and with a jailbroken device you can use the Cyida app "Backgrounder" for true multitasking.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=9284

It still puzzles me as to why iOS doesn't support this natively.

Only some specific apps have been written to run in the background like InstaCast and Tom Tom for example.

There's a really good video from an iOS developer here demonstrating how these apps can run in the background and how other apps "Suspend" using xcode developer tools....

http://www.jailbreakplus.com/nice-vi...tasking-works/
Old 11-03-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
as in the apps just freeze or go in standby when you switch to another?
The apps freeze. There are a few threads in the system that are immune to that. The audio thread is one (that's how your music can play in the background) but it's extremely difficult to get your app onto one of those threads and good luck getting it past the App Store police.

Quote:
It would be nice to have the option of that Freeze feature in android though
You already do. Android gives you the best of both worlds. There is very little that the Android SDK prohibits you from doing (and anything that is prohibited is always available through the NDK (although some things may require root)).
In fact - every Activity in android has some explicit entry points just for these things (onCreate, onPause, onDestroy and critically onResume). In fact, the default prototype for onResume is
Quote:
public void onResume(Bundle icicle)
in a properly coded app, the icicle variable will contain the state information required to get your app back to the state it was in before it was killed.