tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Eircom / Vodafone constantly dropping bb connection - Page 2 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 23-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Senior PROC Member

Yea I am using a laptop and an iPhone (previously an iTouch). Still though the issue isn't the wireless as the laptop and iPhone both see the wireless router, it's the internet connection back at the exchange that's the problem. That means it's either too congested or more likely they have some kind of a program running that trips IPs up on a rotational basis in order for everyone to get coverage for a while.
Old 23-08-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldstein View Post
Just curious as to how many others this happening to in the Cork area? It's driving me insane at this stage.

Been going on about 2-3 weeks. My phonecalls to (Vodafone in my case, but I know of several Eircom customers that this is also happening to) started about 10 days ago and the problem is unchanged, they told me an eircom crew had been assigned to the fault and were due to report back before the 17th August.

Rang Vodafone...Result: Eircom have been in the area today and they've fixed the exchange, the problem is "definitely fixed now, it will not go down again, save for some large system wide outage"
I forgot to say, that this is 1 of the reasons I went back to Eircom for broadband, all the other providers all start blaming Eiircom, who have 100% control of our landlines. These other providers regularly pass the buck, saying it's Eircom's fault, and nothing to do with them. (and we are a customer of theirs)
While this could be true, at least with Eircom, you are dealing 1 organisation and they can't blame anyone.

I have also found it easier to get through to Eircom's support. When I was with UTV, it was regularly a 30 minute plus process on hold.
Old 23-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Senior PROC Member

Hence why I am moving back................ .
Old 23-08-2010, 03:25 PM

When ye say dropped. Is it picked up again straight away or is the bb cutting out and staying out for a short period?

Mine cuts out but once I restart the router it's fine again.
Old 23-08-2010, 03:50 PM

hmm one other possibility [maybe slight but just maybe] is a dns flush

at cmd prompt type
ipconfig /flushdns [notice there is a space between ipconfig and the forward slash] This will clear and [hopefully] refresh the dns cache..

it may not be much help but ye never know.. what I am thinking [and btw when ye say vodafone? I take it ye mean the hard line vodafone?] from what folk are saying it very much sounds like it's a line problem.

part of the issue [and it makes absolutely no difference about eircom and there fucking fibre optic we are so uber coolio] prt of the issue is the lines and how those lines are made up from the exchange.

We had the newer line part way and then the old type line, [pre broadband red/green/black/white/grey?{or whatever it was}] so whats happening is like giving the horse a free run and then whooooooaaa boy then away ye go then whoooa as it's a mish mash of new line/old line/new line/old line.... We had exactly the same problem for around two years till about 3-4months ago when I finally lost the head with them and they ran a complete new line of cable.

prior to it we were lucky to get 1.5meg - now we have a steady 3meg and judging by the line tests I've done we could easily handle the 7meg..

just out of interest what are your line sync figures? ye need to look in your router and it will give ye them = what your looking for is the following

DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
Speed: 3072 kbps /384 kbps
Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 63 dB /31 dB
DSL Noise Margin: 9 dB /18 dB

It's the last two and the mode that are really the important ones - especially the dsl noise margin - the lower that is the better - hmm seems though as my line attenuation is looking bad - thats quite high really, must look at that
Old 23-08-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynny51 View Post
When ye say dropped. Is it picked up again straight away or is the bb cutting out and staying out for a short period?

Mine cuts out but once I restart the router it's fine again.
It drops for short durations, it could be a minute, or 5 minutes, then works again, for another short duration and then drops again.

In short, there are several "drops" in the space of even 30 minutes. Constant restarting usually works but it's not ideal.

I will try Smeggle's "DNS flush suggestion" and report back later on.

Smeggle I take your point about the cable, but this was not an issue at all up to about a month ago.

Advice appreciated btw.
Old 23-08-2010, 04:19 PM

Smeggle it's not a modem cache problem, it's a problem with the exchange according to eircom customer support. I've been having the same problem the past 3-4 weeks, it's got really bad the last 10 days, dropping out for over an hour at a time. I'm sick to death of ringing them, they keep blaming my modem. Pfft!
Running diagnostics test when it drops, I get either PPPoE, Authentication or IP failing, mainly the former.
When I test web access, it pings out. Even though they've admited a problem and that they're getting loads of complaints....each time I ring up and get a new "techie" they still try to convince me it's my modem. Muppets!

If you are not an eircom customer and using their phone lines with a different ISP and have a problem, you're fucked! You're put at the bottom of the complaints list, this my friends is a fact!

Last edited by fytaan; 23-08-2010 at 05:18 PM..
Old 23-08-2010, 04:24 PM

Alright lads, cheers for replies.
The fault has effected parts of Douglas/Rochestown and large areas south of that also - Carrigaline / Crosshaven / Ringaskiddy and surrounding areas. Been in touch with people online and offline in the area with both Eircom & Vodafone who are having this very same issue.

I had confirmed it wasn't a fault on my end a couple of weeks ago - been here many times in the past with various Eircom issues but not with this specific dropping problem. Changed routers, disabled wifi, changed dns servers, did all the standard resets, purges etc early on just to be sure. Even completely disconnected the modem and plugged it straight into the main incoming socket on its own - same thing, no internet connection at all when this happens - The external connection coming in is what is disconnecting / dropping for no reason. This particular problem (and every other one I've ever personally experienced) wasn't on my end.

Vodafone confirmed this too saying it was an Eircom issue so they're not fully independent of Eircom yet in some exchanges even though they do have some equipment there, possibly a local complication I'm guessing. Eircom have acknowledged a "serious issue in the area" in the last few days.

I'm hearing rumours that they have really fixed it today
...but I'm not holding my breath, I'll keep an eye on it throughout the evening.

I'll say this for Vodafone (This apparently Eircom related fail aside): I'm getting double the speed Eircom were giving me (Both supposedly 7.6Mbps) and the speed is consistent with VF, with Eircom it was crippled by contention to the point of being unusable at times, although it had improved somewhat before we switched over to VF. 4 times the download limit too, all for a couple of euro cheaper than Eircom (Can't get UPC by the way). I also hear Eircom have started charging people who switch over to "next generation broadband" for going over their download usage limit.

Smeggle, appreciate the input, stats below:
Modulation: G.DMT
Speed: 7168 kbps /384 kbps (This is stable and consistent at 5.9 - 6.0Mbps real speed)
Attenuation: 21dB Up / 12dB Down
Noise Margin: 18dB Up / 11.8dB Down
Power: 2.6dBm Up / 18.1dBm Down
Old 23-08-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Smeggle, appreciate the input, stats below:
Modulation: G.DMT - thats means adsl 2
Speed: 7168 kbps /384 kbps - should be expected in cork
Attenuation: 21dB Up / 12dB Down - thats good!
Noise Margin: 18dB Up / 11.8dB Down - up is slightly high by otherwise ok
hmm that indicates your line is ok as Fytaan says it has to be an exchange problem...ceratinly looks that way especially if your getting the same issue with different routers..

@fytaan - the reason I gave those cache resets is you never know - I have seen a corrupt cache cause similar issues. no harm in totally ruling them out...
Old 23-08-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggle View Post
hmm that indicates your line is ok as Fytaan says it has to be an exchange problem...ceratinly looks that way especially if your getting the same issue with different routers..

@fytaan - the reason I gave those cache resets is you never know - I have seen a corrupt cache cause similar issues. no harm in totally ruling them out...
Smeggle here are my router stats, if you can pass comment on these:

DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
Speed: 3072 kbps /384 kbps
Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 21 dB /11 dB
DSL Noise Margin: 23 dB /17 dB

I did the DNS Flush as suggested. It hasn't dropped so far since 6pm.
So maybe the issue at the exchange has finally been resolved.