tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Google Chrome - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 03-09-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Click and hold the back button for a second, the history appears.
Love ya!
Old 03-09-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Beltram View Post
looks nice feels good, but no activex or java?

thats a big no-no for me
Ok, no activex but neither does firefox and why would you want it anyway. And of course it has Java. The V8 engine is a completely rewritten web 2.0 optimised JVM. Actually compiles the java script down to machine code before running it.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastesLikeChicken View Post
Ok, no activex but neither does firefox and why would you want it anyway. And of course it has Java. The V8 engine is a completely rewritten web 2.0 optimised JVM. Actually compiles the java script down to machine code before running it.
I need java or activex for www.logmein.com

I have tried the beta java that is needed for chrome, but does not seem to work.....
Old 03-09-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Beltram View Post
I need java or activex for www.logmein.com

I have tried the beta java that is needed for chrome, but does not seem to work.....
Ah gotcha!! Thought it was strange you would have missed something like that.
Now that you mention it, I'm gonna need logmein support also. If I have any luck I'll let you know.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:36 PM

Ok, got logmein working. Install the latest java from java.sun.com/javase/downloads/ea/6u10/6u10rcDownload.jsp#6 u10JREs, copy all the dlls in your firefox directory to c:\windows\system32.

Works fine...
Old 03-09-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Star Hardkore View Post
Safari had that first, it's called private browsing

As for google chrome... I tried it out last night. Not very impressed with it as it jammed a few times and there were some rendering problems. I also don't feel comfortable using a browser made by a company who's revenue is almost exclusively from advertising. They also own DoubleClick who are notorious for tracking cookies. I just don't trust the browser.

Then there's the Firefox extensions I can't live without such as NoScript!, AdBlock+, Greasemonkey, IEtab, Download Statusbar, FireFTP. I'll be sticking with Firefox, they have made huge progress with speed and memory usage in v3.
Would the fact that it's open source not prevent this kind of thing?
Old 03-09-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widebhoy View Post
Yeah, I think it will completely. Extensions will come - the api is pretty digestable.

I don't agree that the memory and speed increases were all that spectacular with FF3.

Personally, so far, Chrome is a hit for me.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:51 PM

Yeah, I'm very happy with it. Only problem is some of my websites don't display to my satisfaction, more cross browser compatibility heartache for me!
Old 03-09-2008, 08:49 PM

From Pocket-lint.co.uk...

Google's brand new browser, surprise-launched as a beta release yesterday, has already nabbed an impressive 1% of the global browser market.

According to web traffic analysis company, StatCounter, the new browser, called "Chrome", has reached around the same level of users as Opera has - but within 1 day of launch.

The stats quoted are based on a sample of 18.5 million page views globally on Wednesday 3 September.

"This is a phenomenal performance", said Aodhan Cullen of StatCounter, that describes itself as a rival to Google on website analytics. "This is war on Microsoft but the big loser could be Firefox."

But John Lilly, CEO of Mozilla was positive about the competition: "As much as anything else, it'll mean there's another interesting browser that users can choose".

"With IE, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc - there's been competition for a while now, and this increases that. So it means that more than ever, we need to build software that people care about and love. Firefox is good now, and will keep on getting better."
Old 04-09-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widebhoy View Post
As far as I could gather, only parts of the browser are open-source such as the rendering engine, etc. They are released under the BSD licence. Other parts of the browser are not open-source, as evidenced by the fact that google have a EULA on it.