tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Is it just me, or does Vista look a lot like Mac OSX? - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 13-06-2007, 12:11 PM

And some other operating systems, worked on by some people round here. have a real big problem with.
Old 13-06-2007, 05:18 PM

Perfect illustration of just how expensive Apple hardware is today in John Lewis:

The HP also has a built in TV digital and analogue tuner.

(yes, I do realise it's odd taking pictures of these things but it makes remembering stuff much easier...)
Old 13-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proinsias View Post
That's a total misnomer.

And Otto, you have to pay for every Apple "upgrade". Microsoft don't charge for the service packs. In fact, you have to pay an awful lot of money for each upgrade.
You are comparing upgrades to updates again.
Apple don't charge for updates, they charge for upgrades.
Microsoft don't charge for updates, they charge for upgrades.

SP2 is an update, going for XP to Vista is an upgrade.
Going from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 is an update, going from tiger(10.4) to leopard(10.5) is an upgrade.
Old 13-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's a total misnomer.

CUrrently, the Mac hardware is almost 100% the exact same stuff you'll get off a dell, toshiba, samsung, sony, IBM all the others. Standard hard drive (in fact, many standard manufacturers would spank them in the reliability of this if my experience of apple hard drives is correct)
Are you saying the specs of the machines are the same or the actual hardware components are the same manufacturer?

The new OS 10.5 will apparently include see more games headed for mac, i think they done a deal with EA and are making an announcement at the E3 expo.

I notice the windows machine there is advertising Abode Reader and Internet Explorer as features. Thats a deal clincher
Old 14-06-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Perfect illustration of just how expensive Apple hardware is today in John Lewis:

The HP also has a built in TV digital and analogue tuner.

(yes, I do realise it's odd taking pictures of these things but it makes remembering stuff much easier...)
trying not to get involved with this but can't bite my lip, HP laptops are a pile of shite... last job I was in bought 3 and they were all out of commision within a year due to hardware problems! Lot to be said for build quality and how assembly is done and care taken of components etc..
Old 14-06-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango View Post
trying not to get involved with this but can't bite my lip, HP laptops are a pile of shite... last job I was in bought 3 and they were all out of commision within a year due to hardware problems! Lot to be said for build quality and how assembly is done and care taken of components etc..
True but then again, look at the difference in specs and John Lewis give a full 2 year parts and labour warranty with every computer they sell for free.

I have to say, I can't find anything on the net that compares long term reliability of brands and both felt reasonably solidly built.
I'm not going to assume that the Apple is automatically better built cause I'm now on to my second iPod after the first one died from a foot high drop onto a thick mat.

That said, I've seen an awful lot of problems reported with Sony laptops on the net, not so much on HP.
Old 14-06-2007, 09:41 AM

I'm also trying to find the most reliable laptops I can and to be honest, it's fraught with difficulties. Take this example:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/10...ability_audit/
Rescuecom was also quick to claim that even Gateway's reliability is "solid". It said the same of HP and Dell, claiming those vendors' product reliability was merely "potentially less so" than Apple or Lenovo. Which is a bit like saying: Lenovo machines are more reliable than Dell's. Only they might not be...
Old 14-06-2007, 03:09 PM

Only the high end lenovos.. lo end are problematic to say the least.. And their support is BRUTAL!

If I was going PC I'd have to go Dell.. Most reliable I've come across in my experience.. Only a Mac owner since january so can't comment yet on reliability! (but have been happy out with it once I found how to copy and paste!!)
Old 14-06-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango View Post
Only the high end lenovos.. lo end are problematic to say the least.. And their support is BRUTAL!

If I was going PC I'd have to go Dell.. Most reliable I've come across in my experience.. Only a Mac owner since january so can't comment yet on reliability! (but have been happy out with it once I found how to copy and paste!!)
On my work Dell laptop, I've had to get both the motherboard and the hard drive replace.

My home Dell overheats on a regular basis, shutting itself down at the most inopportune times. All three of those problems are apparently endemic across their respective laptops. I know two other guys working with me who had their hard drives replaced and half a dozen more who have had to get their motherboards replaced. The D600 series is riddled with inate design problems.

After that sort of experience, forgive me for being a bit reserved about getting one.
Old 14-06-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:

My home Dell overheats on a regular basis, shutting itself down at the most inopportune times.
I'll allow you to make use of my ultra-revolutionary, patent-pending laptop cooling hardware if you like.

Of course, you fill it with cold water. I can't stress that enough.