tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Apple iPhone - Page 6 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 22-06-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_kenefick View Post
If you buy the iPhone from the US it supports GSM and that's great for us if you can get it unlocked. However, the current iPhone supports EDGE for high speed internet access.... not HSPDA as supported by Vodafone and 3 in Ireland. So it's a very expensive phone whose full potential will never be realized. People should wait for the European version which will support HSPDA due out towards the end of 07 beginning of 08.
Unlocking is unlikely to be possible for a while. There's still some N-Series Nokia phones that can't be unlocked on the high street.
Old 22-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Banned

Yeah i'd say if you tried to unlock your iPhone and then rang apple for help they wouldn't be long telling ya to fuck off.
Old 26-06-2007, 11:54 AM

Funny
http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/06/...lineups.begin/

http://myspace.com/paddypaws123
Old 26-06-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Apple’s iPhone launch - a disaster in the making?

Not to burst yer bubble Mr. paws (well maybe a lickle bit ) sim card swap doesn't look likely!

http://www.tomrafteryit.net/apples-i...in-the-making/

Apple’s iPhone launch - a disaster in the making?

Published June 25th, 2007 in Telecoms and apple. Tags: apple, Telecoms.
apple Telecoms
The new Apple iPhone is a very desirable bit of kit, no doubt about it. Even at the $499 (4GB) or $599 (8GB) asking price.
I spoke to a contact in Apple about the iPhone which they are launching with AT&T this coming Friday and, from what he said, the launch sounds like it has all the makings of a disaster in the works!
First off the phone is sold brick-locked - in other words the iPhone is dead when you get it. You have to bring it home, hook it up to an Internet connected computer , and activate it online.
Remember, there are 1m of these puppies pre-sold. What happens when 1m people all try to log in to the site to activate their phones around the same time. How well will the activation server infrastructure hold up?
Presumably, if you have a PC, this process also involves the installation of iTunes and Safari (Macs come with these installed).
Then there is the issue of the iPhone being sim-locked. And I don’t just mean that the phone is locked, nope, the sim is locked physically into the phone! It can’t be removed.
Seemingly there is a way to map your existing number to the sim in your iPhone - this will be part of the activation process. But you can’t take your sim out of the phone for any reason. What happens when you want to upgrade to a new phone? No idea. Presumably this will be straightforward if your new phone is another iPhone - but if it is not…
Joy, oh joy, I can see lots of potential for support issues right there.
Keep in mind also that the phone is not being sold to business customers - the AT&T shops are only going to sell the phones to consumers.
Consumers with a good credit record. If you have any history of bad debts, you can forget about getting an iPhone! They won’t sell you one.
Why is the credit record important? Well, if you buy an iPhone, you are signing up to a two year AT&T contract with a minimum spend of $60 per month! $60 per month for two years is $1440. So, after the initial purchase, you are committing to give Apple and AT&T at least another $1440.
So, if you are a technically minded consumer, have access to an Internet connected computer, can logon to the activation site, have a good credit history and a steady income for the next two years, it should be no problem.
I’d hate to be working for AT&T or Apple’s support next weekend!
UPDATE: - I see AppleInsider are reporting that the first shipments of the iPhone have arrived in the US under unprecedented security.
Old 26-06-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango View Post
Not to burst yer bubble Mr. paws (well maybe a lickle bit ) sim card swap doesn't look likely!
Era I’m over it man anyway waiting for next gen Apple products is a must. Case in point, the gen 1 iPod. Mechanical wheel my ass! Gen 2 came out shortly after with an electrostatic wheel and much more storage which was considerably better.

Also, OSX. OSX wasn't up to par until Panther came out.

http://myspace.com/paddypaws123
Old 28-06-2007, 01:40 PM

Browser seems to be a bit lacking:
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...questions.html

What does [the Web browser] lack? Java, Flash, stored passwords, RSS, streaming audio or video (except for some QuickTime videos).

If that's true it's a bit crap.

It can work with Active Sync (which is good) but only via IMAP using SSL. Which isn't really that fantastic.

Also reports are that the 8 hours of talk time and 250 hours of standby time are true. Which is good. Not knock your socks off amazing but near the top of the class for this sort of device.

The SIM is physically locked into the phone, it isn't possible to take it with you. I suspect the EU anti-competition people might have something to say about that.

There's no stereo bluetooth support which is pretty cruddy nowadays, it's getting to pretty much be standard on almost every phone with BT.

No voice dialing either. Or MMS, but who would miss that, it was only mildly useful at best. Songs can't be used as ringtones, can't download new ringtones. That's incredibly shit.

Also, there's no recording video on it using it's camera.

Can only view Word, excel and PDF, no editing. Bit of a negative there.
WiFi appears to be pretty good, EDGE is crud from all reports. No suprise there. Can't use it as a wireless modem either, which is poor compared to almost every phone out there.

People are reporting that even simple things like making calls take too many taps. The keyboard is also getting mixed reviews. The UI works as it does in the ads though.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:16 PM

holy shit!!

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/07/04...fit-for-apple/

---------------------------------------
CMJ Print
https://www.facebook.com/Choc-A-Bloc...7028939951391/
Old 05-07-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comic View Post
That's pretty good but then if you look at the article, that's a very high end estimate.

Just to put it in persepctive, on average, Nokia sell approximately 1 million handsets every single day.

It's impressive and the iPhone is going to make good money but I think it's not quite all it's cracked up to be, certainly in comparison to other manufacturer's offerings.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:15 AM

O2 are poised to be the sole distributors in the UK (and I'd guess Ireland). Tying themselves to a single operator with a mediocre market share doesn't seem the best move. Great for O2 though.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungle View Post
O2 are poised to be the sole distributors in the UK (and I'd guess Ireland). Tying themselves to a single operator with a mediocre market share doesn't seem the best move. Great for O2 though.
Tis working alright for AT(where's the bloody ampersand on this keyboard)T

Their network was known as pretty shabby, yet they've got hundreds of thousands of new subscribers paying approximately $1000 a year for the contract on this phone.
Also, O2 aren't that enthuastic about internet, they were the last to come out with 3G out of the major networks. Which ties in nicely.

One thing that'd be interesting is what happens with the internet connection. I can't think of too many networks in europe that support Edge properly as they're tied up with 3G. So what are Apple going to do? Back to GPRS for a high end techy device? I've used Google Maps over GPRS. It ain't pretty, about a minute per movement. You really need HSDPA for that.

The only network they're a good match for, in the UK at least is Orange. They do have EDGE running on their network.