tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
The Hurling Thread - Page 1755 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 09-07-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelonaplain View Post
Surely Antrim has a bigger problem given a large proportion don’t play Gaelic games? Not sure all the money in the world would solve that.
If only a 3rd of Antrim were "open" to GAA, that's over 200K. A bigger population than any traditional hurling county outside of Cork and Galway.

Down should be just as big a focus too.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
If only a 3rd of Antrim were "open" to GAA, that's over 200K. A bigger population than any traditional hurling county outside of Cork and Galway.

Down should be just as big a focus too.
The truth is that there is a base there and it's as strong as east cork but it's in pockets of the glens. Catholics in Belfast traditionally played soccer but if big money was poured into schools and clubs in belfasts, gdas in the schools and clubs, loads of free helmets and Hurley's, street league set up etc then the glens could provide the tradition and backbone for Belfast and Antrim hurling that Dublin lacked after a similar investment. Imagine a Belfast with hurling! They should plough millions into it because a strong Antrim would be an amazing asset to the Gaa.
As for Down I don't see how it would work. It's like Kerry with a concentration of clubs in the Ards peninsula. I cant see hurling taking off in any major catholic population base in Newry as gaelic football is the principal sport. Belfast is different as it is raw material.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:08 PM

The Waterford U20s are atrocious
Old 10-07-2019, 10:22 AM

there were worse than that.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:38 AM

Very worrying times for Waterford as every team this year seems off the required level. Long year ahead there to try lift spirits or things could really go into decline
Old 15-07-2019, 11:21 AM

What All Ireland final would ye like to see lads?

I’d love a Limerick vs Wexford final, like back in ‘96

Think Wexford will certainly put it up to Tipp

I can’t stick Davy but I like the Wexford people so would love to see them do it. A few months back I’d have said they wouldn’t get out of Leinster but recently there seems to be a more positive element to their play added to the confidence gained I think they’re in a position to push strongly
Old 15-07-2019, 12:15 PM

Limerick V Wexford

I was there in 96 so it would be sweet, however looking at finals is dangerous when there is still a semi to be played.

KK are always a handful so they deserve respect and I'm sure Kiely won't be looking any further than that.
Old 15-07-2019, 12:26 PM
Senior PROC Member

I would love to see Wexford win the all-ireland, it would be great for the game, and based on their performance in the Leinster final I give them a great chance
Old 24-07-2019, 11:56 AM

Still pissed off that we're looking at AI semi final weekend without being involved.
Always slow to write off KK but feel that Limerick are going to cast Cork's performance in an even harsher light by disposing of them fairly handily.
Limerick don't have Hoggie or Alan Cads but have enough to trouble a fairly ordinary defence and you can be sure that KK half backs and midfield are going to be in for a much tougher 70 minutes than they experienced last Sunday week.
Doubt that Kiely will be caught like a cow looking into a field if one of his players not even close to performing on the day.
Old 24-07-2019, 01:15 PM

Limerick -3pts @ 11/10 is like stealing money from the bookies.