Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password
Closed Thread

Old 30-01-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelrebel View Post
It's on Sat week the 7th!!! Not tomorrow

I'm going to go along to Emmet Place tomorrow and meet any people that have been misled by the mistakes in the Echo and Examiner. At least, I can explain to to them what happened and ask them to come along on the 7th.

Are the 08 Panel training in Moureabbey Tomorrow at 9am (as reported in Echo) or Na Piarsaigh's ground as reported by PROC ? Anybody know as I was going to go along to offer some support.

I was interested to read the opinions of the two pro CB guys that posted today. They both used the argument that Ring and Lynch would turn in their graves. They both offered similar arguments - Players should play and managers should manage - Gerald is a legend - Players should have no role in picking managers. If Gerald is fired what happens if the players don't like the next manager, If Frank is so bad then what about all the AI's that Cork have won while he's been there -etc etc etc.

There is no doubt that there are a lot of people in Cork who will agree with these two posters and the CB are appealing to this type of person for support -

Frank's PR firm (speaking as Gerald) have appealed to the grass roots -

' A lot of GAA people will be called on to make big calls in the next
few weeks, the men and women who represent clubs are going to determine what set of values will shape Cork Hurling for the future. And for me thats worth fighting for. The people who mark the fields, wash the jerseys, ferry kids to matches have a very important role in all of this'

You can imagine how this type of appeal will resonate with people like Rebelbell and CathalAnseo - Frank and the Executive are trying to portray this as a noble battle to save the soul of Cork GAA.

Most journalists (Examiner and Echo excluded) and many informed figures such as John Allen, Donal O Grady and Tony Considine would see the issue as Frank and his executive seeking to re-assert their authority and ignoring the wishes of the 08 panel, the obvious ineptitude of Gerald and the best interests of Cork Hurling.

I think that the players proposed meeting with Club Chairmen is unlikely to make any progress because the Chairman - for the most part - would be old-school and of similar attitude as the posters referred to above.

Its hard to see the intervention of HQ as making any progress either as it seems Geralds position is not up for discussion.
The only likely opportunity here would be if Padraig Duffy were to bring Kieran Mulvey in again. Mulvey would probably acknowledge that Frank failed to respect the spirit of his binding recommendation.

It does look if Frank is happy that his position is unassailable - but has he made a huge miscalculation here?

He can probably keep the clubs and delegates on his side but what happens when it becomes apparent that the Cork Public are behind the players and that Cork's position in the elite of hurling is gone for a very long time.
The Footballers will have to come out if its not settled before c/ship time and then it will esculate further. Unless solved then it will be a very long time before a Cork Hurling or Football (male) Team will be playing at Croke Park.

The loss of revenue provided by Cork Supporters and the likely loss of sponsorship in the present economic climate will be a huge problem for Cork GAA and HQ.
Its only then that the real cost of backing Frank will be appreciated by Cork and Croke Park Officials.

If the public are really at the point where they are not prepared to entertain any more of Frank's conduct then he might finally be toppled. I think that Frank will be deposed this time.
Old 30-01-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEG View Post
wise words from PROC
Indeed, but no mention of whether the FOOTBALLERS will be in attendance. I really believe it would be a great move to have them head the march.

Not sure how wise it is to have the hurlers present. It may look like they're influencing people to march by their presence rather than their cause...

The only reason I would like to see people of public profile present is to add a certain amount of credibility to the proceedings.

I also fear the situation where this march is perceived as calling for people's heads (albeit inevitable that the success of the march would yield the dismissal of Gerald). Many people on here agreed that this march would be portrayed in a positive manner as being one in support of the Blood Brothers and their re-instatement as the men to lead Cork hurling for as long as they may be successful... It is imperative that banners and chants etc. present on the day be in support of the Blood Brothers as opposed to being anti-Frank Murphy or anti-Gerald... The positive support for the BBrothers should speak loudly enough!

Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 30-01-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Monty View Post
Indeed, but no mention of whether the FOOTBALLERS will be in attendance. I really believe it would be a great move to have them head the march.

Not sure how wise it is to have the hurlers present. It may look like they're influencing people to march by their presence rather than their cause...

The only reason I would like to see people of public profile present is to add a certain amount of credibility to the proceedings.

I also fear the situation where this march is perceived as calling for people's heads (albeit inevitable that the success of the march would yield the dismissal of Gerald). Many people on here agreed that this march would be portrayed in a positive manner as being one in support of the Blood Brothers and their re-instatement as the men to lead Cork hurling for as long as they may be successful... It is imperative that banners and chants etc. present on the day be in support of the Blood Brothers as opposed to being anti-Frank Murphy or anti-Gerald... The positive support for the BBrothers should speak loudly enough!

Just my 2 cents worth...
a good two cents aswell

I think the personal stuff is only gonna give opponents of the hurlers more reason to believe that they themselves are right

It is simply a matter of choice some of the stuff being said is pretty heavy on both sides

can't believe some of the texts i got on the radio after i mentioned the march a few times (but at the same time i've corresponded with people who oppose the hurlers stance, both here and elsewhere, who have been totally adult and reasonable)

My own opinion is that i believe the hurlers deserve our support but it's imperative that people respect the opinions of others (again, this is only my feeling; and i'm no hurling expert or authority on the dispute)
Old 30-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Banned

that`s crap. stevieg your blog is sh*t
Old 30-01-2009, 10:20 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellycat1 View Post
that`s crap. stevieg your blog is sh*t
heh heh heh thanks!
Old 30-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Banned

no seriously - it is pure sh*te
Old 30-01-2009, 10:30 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellycat1 View Post
no seriously - it is pure sh*te
Tanx again!

With all the invasions of Cork websites and Cork blogs taking up so much time it's no wonder you know so little about hurling!

Then again, down here we tend to be good at more than one thing and many of our greats (JBM, Dennis Irwin, Noel Cantwell, Dinny Allen, Sean Og etc etc) are quite versatile

Old 30-01-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEG View Post
Tanx again!

With all the invasions of Cork websites and Cork blogs taking up so much time it's no wonder you know so little about hurling!

Then again, down here we tend to be good at more than one thing and many of our greats (JBM, Dennis Irwin, Noel Cantwell, Dinny Allen, Sean Og etc etc) are quite versatile
Oi, leave i' ou'

'e aint wuuth it Stevie.
Old 30-01-2009, 10:34 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
Oi, leave i' ou'

'e aint wuuth it Stevie.
The punk is just about to make my day

Old 30-01-2009, 10:36 PM

Ha ha ha, brilliant!
Closed Thread