tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Smoking - Page 9 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 13-06-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSensible View Post
It would actually be worse than that Johnjoe, because as you rightly point out they'd have to spend the 1 billion a year for quite a few years regardless because of smoking related illnesses but they'd also be missing out on the 2billion plus in tax revenue for those years. Simply put the country can't afford people to give up smoking, it is something the anti smoking brigade blindly ignore and yet they call smokers stupid!!!
The average smoker spends between €200-€300 a month on fags? let's say €250, that's €3000 a year, if the smoker didn't have that outlay on fags they could either spend the money on something else, still contributing to the economy, or, if they kept it in the bank, they would be paying interest on the DIRT accumulating, so, it's a little simplistic to say that the savings on the health budget would be outweighed by the cost of the revenue lost. Maybe there would still overall be a loss to the economy but we would have a healthier population and the health system wouldn't have choking smokers tying up all those resources as is currently the case.
Old 13-06-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSensible View Post
The government take in over 2 billion each year from taxes on smoking, what you should be asking is where will the government get the extra money if everyone gives up smoking.
It's estimated to cost the state between 1-2 billion per annum for treating people with smoking related illnesses, so that really questions your maths that the state benefits financially from cigarettes

And secondly, I would gladly pay extra taxes so that people would give up cigarettes. When you look at the diseases associated with cigarettes such as cardiovascular disease, cancers and mouth and respiratory diseases, they place an enormous strain on a health service already under a lot of pressure.
Old 13-06-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNO View Post
The average smoker spends between €200-€300 a month on fags? let's say €250, that's €3000 a year, if the smoker didn't have that outlay on fags they could either spend the money on something else, still contributing to the economy, or, if they kept it in the bank, they would be paying interest on the DIRT accumulating, so, it's a little simplistic to say that the savings on the health budget would be outweighed by the cost of the revenue lost. Maybe there would still overall be a loss to the economy but we would have a healthier population and the health system wouldn't have choking smokers tying up all those resources as is currently the case.
Granted if the money was spent on other goods there will be a multiplier effect which will contribute to the economy but it really all depends on what goods it is spent on and whether the business that receives it pumps that back into said economy (hard to quantify the magnitude of this effect), however the government take 84% on each pack of cigarettes so right there in your example every smoker is paying them 2,500 euro per year. I think the dirt argument is a bit simplistic as rates on deposits these days are practically zero. But one other thing I'm not sure about and that is if the health spend on cigarette related diseases (Dob above suggests nearer 2 billion than 1 billion) is a net or gross figure because a lot of smokers will have health insurance and thus the system will recoup funds in this way (that might explain some stats saying a 1 billion spend and others 2 billion). I'm not arguing a case for smoking (I also think it is a disgusting habit) but merely pointing out the net cost to the state is not what people make it out to be and just because people don't like something is not a reason to ignore all the facts as opposed to just concentrating on those which validate their argument.
Old 13-06-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOB View Post
It's estimated to cost the state between 1-2 billion per annum for treating people with smoking related illnesses, so that really questions your maths that the state benefits financially from cigarettes

And secondly, I would gladly pay extra taxes so that people would give up cigarettes. When you look at the diseases associated with cigarettes such as cardiovascular disease, cancers and mouth and respiratory diseases, they place an enormous strain on a health service already under a lot of pressure.
Dob my maths was based on a fact sheet someone else put posted from the HSE. Now you sound if you have experience in these diseases be you a doctor or unfortunately may have lost someone close to you. I don't have a problem with smokers being ostracised but where do you stop or conversely where do you start? Right now the regulations have more or less made passive smoking redundant which is a good thing but what about the obesity problem we have, granted someone overeating doesn't directly affect someone else's health but it does affect their wallet as I believe the cost to the health service for obesity related diseases is relatively similar yet the state recoups practically nothing vis a vis the taxation system. I'm sure such related diseases also place a huge strain on the health services. Should we place the same regulations as smoking and make obese people eat outside and should they also pay a fat tax? I know these measures would be seen as extreme but raising awareness about exercise and healthy living/eating etc doesn't seem to be having much of an effect as the problem is only getting worse.
As an aside ironically a lot of the girls will tell you they reckon the best way of dieting is to take up smoking( appetite suppressant)!!!
(Yes I know there is a difference between healthy eating and eating less)
Old 14-06-2014, 12:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Wild Man View Post
Nobody cares, pointy, you fucking cunt
Lol
Old 16-09-2019, 10:27 PM

Just reading the vaping thread and found this. I had a mad burst of cravings over the weekend for a cigarette, first time in a very long time.
I started at 15 and I gave up smoking at 30 when it dawned on me that I'd been smoking half my life.
Allen Carr book did it for me. Best thing I ever did, I'm not far off two decades smoke free and not a single pull of a fag in all that time.
I do enjoy walking past someone occasionally and getting that whiff of tobacco smoke, it's like these receptors in my brain are lighting up like mother fuckers and that split second hankering for a smoke returns.
Old 17-09-2019, 06:39 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingin View Post
Just reading the vaping thread and found this. I had a mad burst of cravings over the weekend for a cigarette, first time in a very long time.
I started at 15 and I gave up smoking at 30 when it dawned on me that I'd been smoking half my life.
Allen Carr book did it for me. Best thing I ever did, I'm not far off two decades smoke free and not a single pull of a fag in all that time.
I do enjoy walking past someone occasionally and getting that whiff of tobacco smoke, it's like these receptors in my brain are lighting up like mother fuckers and that split second hankering for a smoke returns.
im the opposite, smoked for 32 years, vaping now 5 years and no cig in nearly 4 but the smell of a cig makes me sick, cant even walk behind someone who is smoking tbh
Old 17-09-2019, 03:22 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert chapman View Post
im the opposite, smoked for 32 years, vaping now 5 years and no cig in nearly 4 but the smell of a cig makes me sick, cant even walk behind someone who is smoking tbh
Same. Off them over two years. Cold turkey.

Now the smell of one makes me nauseous. Can barely believe I smoked.
Old 17-09-2019, 03:53 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post

mad isn't it, and I loved my cigs 😀
Old 17-09-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post

Colleague was the same but after five years, whilst on holiday abroad, smelled a cig whilst passing outside table at bar and legs practically went from under him such was the sudden craving . He actually begged guy at table for one.