tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Searching on Windows XP: default search paths - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > PROC Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 PM

Default Searching on Windows XP: default search paths

This bugs me about Windows. If I'm browsing a folder that contains a very large number of files and I want to search within that folder when I go to search and select "file or folder", type my search term and then go to make my selection under "look in" windows makes me click into all the folders to build a path to the folder I want to search in. This is so time consuming if the folder is five or six layers deep especially if you close the window and want to search again a few minutes later.

Does anyone out there know some shortcut that if I'm in a folder I can just use a keystroke to search ONLY within that folder?

Sound!
Old 09-02-2011, 10:22 PM

when in that folder - right click and send a shorcut to your desktop. when ye need it just double click the shortcut and ye'll be in the folder..

if ye want or need multiple folders then when you have the shortcut sent to desktop, create a new folder and 'Move' the shortcut (Don't just highlight and drag them in). Doing that and you won't clutter your desktop up with shortcuts...
Old 09-02-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by After All View Post
Does anyone out there know some shortcut that if I'm in a folder I can just use a keystroke to search ONLY within that folder?

Sound!
I have the search in XP setup like this, i just click the search button on the Toolbar and the current folder appears in the "Look In" Field.

Theres a registry hack that will restore the Windows Classic Search (the same one Windows 2000 used).
No more annoying search wizard with animated dog.

Easiest and safest way to do it, is to download this Microsoft PowerToy called Tweak UI:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Tis on the right hand side of the page.

After you've installed and ran it....

Click "Explorer" in the list on the left,
(don't click the +).

Scroll down til you see "Use Classic Search in Explorer".
Tick it, and click okay.

So much better, than hitting about 10 arrows in the normal XP search just to fucking tell it what you want to search for.
The more Windows evolved, the more it began to treat its users like idiots!

Also, theres a nice modified version of Windows XP called TinyXP
which has this modification and many more welcome modications made to it, and a lot of un-needed shite removed from it.

It may be up your alley. I've used Rev '09 version for a long time now, and swear by it.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:20 PM

Simply click on the "Search" icon on the toolbar beneath the menu in the Explorer window.

The Search options will appear on the left of the window.

Choose "All files and folders" and the search boxes will appear with the location defaulting to the current folder.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 PM

Hang on - are ye talking about when you need to browse for a file when your say attaching something in an e-mail?

That one annoys me as well...not sure if there is a shorter way of doing that one.. least not a.f.a.i.k ....
Old 10-02-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggle View Post
Hang on - are ye talking about when you need to browse for a file when your say attaching something in an e-mail?

That one annoys me as well...not sure if there is a shorter way of doing that one.. least not a.f.a.i.k ....
I think the OP just means, searching within the current folder, without haviing to select the current folder from the root.