The Hurling Thread - Page 1731 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 17-06-2019, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash of the titans View Post
Agreed. What Cork would do to have some really top class defenders. Padraig Walsh and Huw Lawlor were excellent for Kilkenny on Saturday.
Yet you had a poster here dissing them and biging up ours.
Old 17-06-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarlofPearl View Post
Just think that KK defenders are generally a very solid unit. I suppose there is an over reliance of TJ in attack but I wouldn't write Colin Fennelly off yet. He is the type of player who could have a poor season but then be unmarkable against Cork in a semi.
Old 17-06-2019, 08:12 PM
Senior PROC Member

Posters on here talking about a semi final v Kilkenny are wide of the mark.
If Limerick and Tipperary both reach the semi finals (which is highly likely) they can't play each other which means we would play the Munster champions.
We will probably have to beat both Limerick and Tipperary to win the all-ireland
Old 17-06-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I believe Galway were wrongly eliminated Imo, and I feel the gaa will move to rectify this next year if it happens again that four teams finish level, with the odd one of the four desrvingly getting eliminated next time out, yes Galway only beat Carlow by four points but Wexford only beat Carlow lets remember.
If you eliminate the Carlow results from the equation, the league table stays the same with Galway 4th.
Wexford only beating Carlow seems to be a stick to beat Wexford with, but equally wouldn't it be very harsh for an unbeaten team to be eliminated when you see 2 teams in Munster with 2 losses going through?
However Galway did have bad luck in the scheduling on two counts - having 2 tough away games in the space of 6 days. Also by playing Carlow at home it meant two tough away games. Wexford also had the latter but made hay with it by trashing Carlow and drawing the two tough away games.
Old 17-06-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue View Post
Posters on here talking about a semi final v Kilkenny are wide of the mark.
If Limerick and Tipperary both reach the semi finals (which is highly likely) they can't play each other which means we would play the Munster champions.
We will probably have to beat both Limerick and Tipperary to win the all-ireland
you´re right- Interesting how Wexford will approach Leinster final now. I know that for them a Leinster title is not to be sniffed at but they surely cannot afford another battle with Kilkenny and then have to face us two weeks later.
A fault with the system is that in the future you will see more games like Limerick v Tipp yesterday. Worked well for Cork yesterday but I would say Clare not too happy with Limerick´s attitude. You could actually have a team deliberately losing match to knock a major rival out.
Old 17-06-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarlofPearl View Post
Who was that now?
Old 18-06-2019, 07:54 AM

Dublins revival places a black mark against ger cunninghams managerial
credentials,
Old 18-06-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
Dublins revival places a black mark against ger cunninghams managerial
credentials,
Good coach, dreadful manager. Throwing the Baby out with the bath water in Dublin was never going to work. You can see by the impact conal keaney has had since Gilroy brought him back how much he still offers the Dublin forward unit.
Old 18-06-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingin View Post
Good coach, dreadful manager. Throwing the Baby out with the bath water in Dublin was never going to work. You can see by the impact conal keaney has had since Gilroy brought him back how much he still offers the Dublin forward unit.
Yeah Keaney is one of the best players of the last 20 years. Anyone who couldn't appreciate that isint fit for management.
Old 18-06-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash of the titans View Post
Agreed. What Cork would do to have some really top class defenders. Padraig Walsh and Huw Lawlor were excellent for Kilkenny on Saturday.
I'd put a small caveat at least on that. Wexford were playing with 4 forwards for most of the game. A lot easier to be a defender in that kind of scenario.
Look at Jack O'Connnors point towards the end, at the time I was thinking why he didn't try to work a goal, then for the replay the camera panned out and I think there was 5 KK defenders and no other Wexford forward in the shot.
Walsh got a great score, fair enough but he was marking nobody for the most part. 4 KK defenders scoring a point says a bit about the kind of space they had.