tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
bush ignored katerina warnings (surprise surprise) - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 02-03-2006, 06:41 AM
Banned

Default bush ignored katerina warnings (surprise surprise)

Quote:
Video shows Bush Katrina warning

Video has been obtained by a US news agency showing President George W Bush being briefed by officials on the eve of the Hurricane Katrina disaster.

The confidential video obtained by the Associated Press shows very strong warnings being given to Mr Bush about the potential strength of the storm.

It appears to contradict subsequent suggestions by the Bush administration that the threat had been unclear.

Critics say more could have been done sooner to evacuate the city.

Quote:
I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees
George W Bush, speaking after the disaster
Speaking by video link from a room in his Texan holiday ranch on 28 August last year, Mr Bush is shown telling officials: "We are fully prepared".

He does not ask any questions as the situation is outlined to him.

Along with the video, AP obtained transcripts of seven days of briefings relating to Katrina.

Clear warning

The footage does the president no favours, the BBC's Justin Webb reports from Washington.

It shows plainly worried officials telling Mr Bush very clearly before the storm hit that it could breach New Orleans flood barriers.

In the past, the president has said nobody anticipated a breach but the video shows Michael Brown, the top emergency response official who has since resigned, saying the storm would be "a bad one, a big one".

"We're going to need everything that we can possibly muster, not only in this state and in the region, but the nation, to respond to this event," Mr Brown says.

He also gives a strong, clear warning that evacuees in the Super Dome in New Orleans could not be given proper assistance.

'Very, very grave'

Another official, Max Mayfield of the National Hurricane Center, tells the final briefing that storm models predict minimal flooding inside New Orleans during the hurricane.

But he adds that the possibility of anticlockwise winds and storm surges could cause the levees at Lake Pontchartrain to be overrun afterwards is "obviously a very, very grave concern".

His concern was borne out by events when levees collapsed, letting in the floodwater disastrously.

The president, however, said four days after the storm: "I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees."

Mr Bush later accepted he shared some of the responsibility for the flawed response to Katrina and the White House talked of the "fog of war" rendering decision-making difficult.

Michael Brown told AP this week that he did not "buy the 'fog of war' defence".

"It was a fog of bureaucracy," he said.
"oh we didn't expect it to be this bad, sure i thought it was only going to be a bit wet and wind, nothing that an umbrella couldn't handle"

era fuck off ya dimwit
Old 02-03-2006, 10:20 AM

Thats just typical of the Bush adminstration- could'nt find their own arses with both hands -....and these people are in control of a nuke arsenal? They made a bollix of Iraq and now they can't even prepare for or handle a disaster in their own country- In Denial methinks.....nope theres nuthin wrong here.....??

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Old 02-03-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginfizwithatwist
Thats just typical of the Bush adminstration- could'nt find their own arses with both hands -....and these people are in control of a nuke arsenal? They made a bollix of Iraq and now they can't even prepare for or handle a disaster in their own country- In Denial methinks.....nope theres nuthin wrong here.....??
no they are only trained to find oil, sorry no just steal oil instead
Old 02-03-2006, 01:02 PM

Well his ratings over here are at the lowest ever!somethin like 57% are unhappy with him! Well I think its their own damn fault the ignorant dumb yanks for voting him back in for a second term !
Anyway at least we have only 3 more years of the A-hole and he can never be president again {thank fudge} or in his case you`d never know how he could change policy and fix yet another election!!!!
Old 02-03-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker lyons
there are contingencies for a 3rd term if there is 'extraordinary' reasons like WAR...
no there isn't...

Twenty-second Amendment to the United States Constitution

Section 1

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

Section 2

This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years from the date of its submission to the States by the Congress.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
when was this written in?

tucker

The United States Congress proposed the amendment on March 21, 1947. It was ratified by the requisite number of states on February 27, 1951.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
after roosevelts 3rd term?

tucker

yep , he was the reason for it , they didn't want to anyone to be president for life...
Old 02-03-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
get-out in the patriot act.
thats only an act, can't override anything in the Constitution...
Old 02-03-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
damn you and your head full of stuff

you couldnt tell me where me basil brush socks are can ya? i bought em last week and dunno where i put em in me room

tucker

President bush confiscated them... it seems the smell was counted as a weapon of mass destruction...