tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Is an apple mac a viable operating system for a college student ? - Page 5 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 17-09-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastesLikeChicken View Post
It is getting very popular now for Non-MS Software Development. Because of its BSD kernel it has loads of yummy tools for web development and server management.

Totally, corp wide deployments are to be found I'm sure but are the exception rather than the rule. This may change though.
Wouldn't Linux be far better for this, especially from a cost point of view?
Old 17-09-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proinsias View Post
Wouldn't Linux be far better for this, especially from a cost point of view?
Well, from a cost perspective yes certainly but from a technical perspective not at all. However "ATTENTION LINUX PEOPLE - THIS IS JUST MY OPINION" Linux just doesn't have a slick UI yet. Gnome is someway there but KDE-4 is a ridiculous hodge-podge of stuff.
Old 17-09-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
It is getting very popular now for Non-MS Software Development. Because of its BSD kernel it has loads of yummy tools for web development and server management.
Text editor with syntax highlighting and a browser?
Old 17-09-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Well, from a cost perspective yes certainly but from a technical perspective not at all. However "ATTENTION LINUX PEOPLE - THIS IS JUST MY OPINION" Linux just doesn't have a slick UI yet. Gnome is someway there but KDE-4 is a ridiculous hodge-podge of stuff.
Business is all about cost. Bottom line.

And software development is technical.

You're not going to be worried about a slick UI. Anyway, compiz-fusion kicks the ass off OSX for 'GUI slickness' I'm afraid to say.

IMO, a Linux would make way more sense than OSX for development of non-MS software ...
Old 17-09-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thread_killer View Post
Text editor with syntax highlighting and a browser?
Yes, in 1970. Software development has become a lot more grown up than that nowadays. What about your compilers, debuggers, source control, documentation, design, bug tracking, deployment, db interfacing etc.... Not to mention getting your head around the 100's of different libraries that modern, long-trousered developers use without the help of intellisense and integrated documentation.....

The days of hacking software together using vi and gdb are long gone I'm afraid. Gimme eclipse any day of the week.
Old 17-09-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
Answer to original Question

In Short Yes

The Mac and Mac OSX are viable for a Student .
You may be able to find a compelling reason for getting or not getting one depending on your individual circumstances and needs, but it is a viable option.

Worth noting that if current trends continue in the PC/Mac market , you might fnd yourself ahead of the game come 4 - 5 years time , as we might all be running OSX then.
Plus, with the Apple Education Store, students can get a discount akin to the Apple employee EPP2 discount- the one for friends and family. Somewhere in the 13-17%, IIRC.
Old 17-09-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Anyway, compiz-fusion kicks the ass off OSX for 'GUI slickness' I'm afraid to say.
Cool but I don't agree and I've been watching it for a while. Yes it has eye-candy and does the nice rotating desktop stuff and its hardware requirements are amazingly low. Just for my requirements, it doesn't have the manager wide consistency that a decent UI needs to have in order to be productive with it. Unfortunately, at the moment Linux is just too fragmented to ever really get this consistency that I would require to take it seriously on the desktop.
Old 17-09-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, in 1970. Software development has become a lot more grown up than that nowadays. What about your compilers, debuggers, source control, documentation, design, bug tracking, deployment, db interfacing etc.... Not to mention getting your head around the 100's of different libraries that modern, long-trousered developers use without the help of intellisense and integrated documentation.....

The days of hacking software together using vi and gdb are long gone I'm afraid. Gimme eclipse any day of the week.
I never new you needed a compiler, GDB or 100 different libraries for web development on OSX. Sounds hard.
Old 17-09-2008, 01:39 PM

So even though a Linux would be better for business for non-MS development for cost reasons, and for business cost is the bottom line, OSX is still better because it has a slicker GUI and 'manager wide consistency'. And Linux is too technical for the software developers? "From a technical perspective" like.

Doesn't seem to add up.
Old 17-09-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I never new you needed a compiler, GDB or 100 different libraries for web development on OSX. Sounds hard.
Sorry, I was talking more about development in general.