tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Apple iPhone - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 10-01-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_didnt_do_nawtin View Post
No the point is that for €500 you can buy a far better phone (3G, audio/video players, WiFi, camera, installable software) that's not tied to a 2 year contract.
No, the point is that anyone who balks at the price isn't in their target market. Simple as.

And anyway, how do you know that you can buy a better phone when you haven't even had a chance to look at the iPhone yet?

I have no problem with people trying out a product and not liking it, but to dismiss something without even having seen it is pretty strange, non?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:44 PM

Not if a man who knows phones has given us a rather detailed lowdown on it and told us that it doesn't have some of the stadard features I can wander into Carphone Warehouse and fork over eighty snots for.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
No, the point is that anyone who balks at the price isn't in their target market. Simple as.

And anyway, how do you know that you can buy a better phone when you haven't even had a chance to look at the iPhone yet?

I have no problem with people trying out a product and not liking it, but to dismiss something without even having seen it is pretty strange, non?
From the specs that have been published, it's poor for the price. I also work in the industry.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:

The Nokia N95 is €550 without a contract. The N91 is going to be the same price The iPhone 8GB is €600 WITH a contract.

The Nokia N95 (due for release in just over a month) will have the next generation of Nokia's very, very successful Series 60 operating system. In fact, it actually looks relatively similar to Apple's one.

The true competitor is the N91 8GB. It's actually late, but anyway...

Things it has that the iPhone hasn't:
FM radio
3G
WMA support
It's going to be in shops within a month or two
Proper keys

Things the iPhone has that it doesn't:
Better looks
Thinner
Touch screen

It might be thinner, but it's significantly wider. Touch screen is usually of limited use and looks, well, sure it looks nice, but is that enough for price difference and the loooooong wait???
Old 10-01-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumble View Post
Not if a man who knows phones has given us a rather detailed lowdown on it and told us that it doesn't have some of the stadard features I can wander into Carphone Warehouse and fork over eighty snots for.
He may know his phones but he's off the ball about this particular phone. Going on his account, the only desireable feature of the iPhone is the fact that it has decent battery life. Pah.

He's missing two hugely important points. First, this phone runs a derivative of OS X. That coupled with the fact that the UI is Apple-designed means it's going to be a joy to use. I'd gladly pay a premium for a phone if it meant that I never again had to use the byzantine menu systems found on every Nokia/Siemens/LG/whatever else. I'd gladly pay a premium if it means that I just have to dock the damn thing to sync it. I'd gladly pay a premium to never again have to fuck around with phone software that has been designed by retards. And I will.

Second: there are plenty of wealthy, stupid people out there (like me) who'll buy this at least in part because it's a premium phone. In one fell swoop Apple has knocked every other high-end phone into the background. This is the phone that people will want, and this is the phone that those who can afford it will buy. That sort of premium brand recognition is something that all other phone manufacturers would kill for.

Look, at the end of the day the moral is this: always watch what the brokerage houses and the investors do. Nokia, for example, had their "strong buy" target price reduced yesterday as soon as the iPhone was announced. RIM's stock will be 10% lower by the time the FTSE closes today. Regardless of whether or not the iPhone is technically better, the markets have already decided that it's going to be a success.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proinsias View Post
The true competitor is the N91 8GB. It's actually late, but anyway...

Things it has that the iPhone hasn't:
FM radio - doesn't bother me - we podcast nowadays
3G - again, doesn't bother me. doesn't seem to bother anyone else either.
WMA support WMA? Hahahaha. No thanks
It's going to be in shops within a month or two
Proper keys you may have a point with this, but let's wait and see

And by the way, I'd be very surprised if a large number of people who were going to buy that Nokia didn't now hang on a few months more to pick up the iPhone instead. Obviously this'll be affected by the hassle for some people of having to change networks, but changing networks costs a lot less in the US than it does in the UK.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Boys Oh Boys Forum Users

Quote:
Second: there are plenty of wealthy, stupid people out there (like me) who'll buy this at least in part because it's a premium phone. In one fell swoop Apple has knocked every other high-end phone into the background. This is the phone that people will want, and this is the phone that those who can afford it will buy. That sort of premium brand recognition is something that all other phone manufacturers would kill for.
Oh get over yerself. Its not a question of affordabilty. 'Those who can afford it?' Yeah because 500quid is such a huge bundle of cash. FFS.Tis a case of value for money which it clearly isnt. If you want to be ripped off for the sake of snazzy presentation, then bigger mug you.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langer Dan View Post
Oh get over yerself. Its not a question of affordabilty. 'Those who can afford it?' Yeah because 500quid is such a huge bundle of cash. FFS.Tis a case of value for money which it clearly isnt. If you want to be ripped off for the sake of snazzy presentation, then bigger mug you.
It certainly is.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Boys Oh Boys Forum Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendredi View Post
It certainly is.
In relative terms. Tis less than a months rent and twouldnt buy you a table.

Personaly I think its too much for a phone.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:07 PM

It would take me about seven months to afford €500.

I'd rather stick with a 3G phone that's also easy to use, functional, and will not crack if dropped. Like I said, I can stroll into town later on should I feel the need and pick one up for eighty quid.