tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
saorview - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 18-05-2011, 04:42 PM

Check out this site for your saorview needs.

http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-digit...ombo-kits.html

They have all the latest Saorview information on their blog
http://www.tvtrade.ie/blog/category/saorview/

I have bought from them in the past and would have no hesitation recommending them.Normally delivers within 48hrs.
Old 18-05-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpForABaa View Post

I have bought from them in the past and would have no hesitation recommending them.Normally delivers within 48hrs.
Buying a combo box for satellite and Saorview is getting the worst of both worlds.
Old 18-05-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:

Great website, but add 21% vat on all displayed prices, meaning that it's expensive for most things, for non trade customers.
The Humax Foxsat Receiver (Freesat) 500gb for example, costs 321 (incl delivery) on tv trade, but only 299 on www.satelitetv.ie
Old 19-05-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bin Hex 12 View Post
Buying a combo box for satellite and Saorview is getting the worst of both worlds.

I do understand why you are saying getting the worst of both worlds. I thought this is the best solution for the person who does not want a monthly bill.

The Combo Digital & Satellite TV receiver that they advertise rolls all available free to air channels (UK & Irish) including free HD channels onto the one receiver box and is also compatible with Saorview.

What would you suggest is a better alternative for the person who does not wish to subscribe to Sky or UPC?
Old 19-05-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
What would you suggest is a better alternative for the person who does not wish to subscribe to Sky or UPC?
I outlined it earlier in the thread. Get a Freesat+ box for satellite and, as for Saorview recording etc, I'd hold off for a few months yet, as it's still only testing and when they go live with High Definition and codes for things like series link, and that, it'll be the time to judge the products available then.

If Humax or Technomate ever get around to releasing a combo Freesat and Freeview HD box that'll be worth buying more than likely but, at the moment, the combi boxes are too troublesome the lack of an EPG is crap.

I go rid of UPC about three years ago - I have Saorview on my tv – I use the programme guide to set reminders and, when watching the Irish channels, the Freesat box is recording the UK stuff – inelegant but effective and free.
Old 21-05-2011, 11:00 PM

RTE's first live HD broadcasts will be on next weekend.

Munster v Leinster Magners League Final on Saturday 28th and Cork v Tipp Munster Hurling Championship Quarter Final on Sunday 29th.
Old 22-05-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazzTT View Post
RTE's first live HD broadcasts will be on next weekend.

Munster v Leinster Magners League Final on Saturday 28th and Cork v Tipp Munster Hurling Championship Quarter Final on Sunday 29th.
Will it be a separate channel or will the existing channels just become HD ?

I want to know if I need to re-tune. Thanks
Old 22-05-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulgorm View Post
Will it be a separate channel or will the existing channels just become HD ?

I want to know if I need to re-tune. Thanks
RTE2 is the high definition channel so if you're currently getting that digitally you don't need to retune.
Old 22-05-2011, 10:26 AM

You won't need a re-tune.

Unlike on Sky, there won't be separate SD and HD versions of channels. (Because unlike with Sky boxes, every Soarview TV/box can decode HD content, so there's no need for a separate SD channel). RTE2 on Soarview now is already 1080i (although all the content has been upscaled SD until now).

Eventually, RTE2 HD will be moving to a second mux (the current mux is full, and when they need to add new channels this year, they'll do some reshuffling), so you'll need a retune then, but not for Saturday.

No mention of whether the Champions League Final will be in HD. Would be nice.
Old 22-05-2011, 02:59 PM

Do you install these saroview boxes yourself? Will they pick up the Free to Air Channels?

I have the full Sky package at home, but this is for up stairs, so Im hoping to get the free to air channels so I can have some diversity. I thank you in advance.