tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Wenger - Page 7 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 26-10-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound View Post
Both of their Euro records aren't up to snuff.
True,

Ferguson needs a second title at least or his European record is poor.

..I getting confident on this year.

..and Wenger needs to stop getting bullied by the big boys.
Old 26-10-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvis View Post
Football clubs are all about re-investing the money coming into the clubs to maximise the production on the pitch.

Ferguson has done this extremely well and consistently well since the additions of the likes of Steve Bruce back in 1987 and McClair. ..and consistently since then.

If anything, perhaps Wenger has been too conservative with his outlay, ..Arsenal could possibly be more dominant in England and Europe with a bit more panache with the chequebook and with the resources available.
Fair enough, but United have had far far more money than anyone else. The playing field isn't level.
Old 26-10-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
I don't think Arsenal had the money up until the last few years to be fair.

The money issue is real, its is the single most important factor in modern day soccer. BIg money has given Chelsea 2 titles. Its given United their current squad.

At the same time, money is part of the game and always was.

If Arsenal could pay £1 million for a full back in 1980 and have marble toilets then we don't have to worry about their financial state.

..Arsenal are so rich they look down on the Stock Exchange.
Old 26-10-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvis View Post
If Arsenal could pay £1 million for a full back in 1980 and have marble toilets then we don't have to worry about their financial state.

..Arsenal are so rich they look down on the Stock Exchange.
United are richer and have been in the modern era, I couldn't tell you about before.

I will tell you one thing though, Ronnie Whelan once said that Liverpool had to keep winning in Europe in the early/mid eighties to compete with United financially, even though United were in the doldrums. Not sure how much validity that holds but thats what he said.
Old 26-10-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
United are richer and have been in the modern era, I couldn't tell you about before.

I will tell you one thing though, Ronnie Whelan once said that Liverpool had to keep winning in Europe in the early/mid eighties to compete with United financially, even though United were in the doldrums. Not sure how much validity that holds but thats what he said.
I'd imagine that's spot on. Even when manyoo were shit, they had more bandwagoning duckwits supporting them than any pther team. The munich crash garnered alot of support for them the world over...and more especially in Ireland and the UK. Their recent succes has only added to this. You have lads like Kola flinging themselves into champion sports to buy the 8 new kits each year. Multiply that by a few million and it's a shed load of cash.
Arsenal haven't got anything like that and never will. Their fanbase comes from a) geography, b) a small amount of London bandwagoning and c) people they've won over from their recent playing style...which is fantastic.

I know that if I was a kid now, I'd support Arsenal for the very same reasons I picled he team I do support - Lovely style of football, not the biggest team but competing against them in spite of that.
Old 26-10-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Blackwater View Post

I know that if I was a kid now, I'd support Arsenal for the very same reasons I picled he team I do support - Lovely style of football, not the biggest team but competing against them in spite of that.
Yeah, you'd be first on the bandwagon
Old 26-10-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound View Post
Both of their Euro records aren't up to snuff.
True

But Fergie has 3 European Trophies, even if two are lessor ones

Arsenal have had many years under Wenger where they didn't even get near the last 8 or 16, Fergie's team more often or not hit at least the last 8 in the Fergie/Wenger era
Old 26-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEG View Post
True

But Fergie has 3 European Trophies, even if two are lessor ones

Arsenal have had many years under Wenger where they didn't even get near the last 8 or 16, Fergie's team more often or not hit at least the last 8 in the Fergie/Wenger era
So what you are saying is its essentially bald man comb fight, Wenger being Picard and Fergie being Bobby Charlton with the combover.

Meanwhile heavy metal hair-do'd duo Bob and Brian stare down from the clouds and smile
Old 26-10-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
So what you are saying is its essentially bald man comb fight, Wenger being Picard and Fergie being Bobby Charlton with the combover.

Meanwhile heavy metal hair-do'd duo Bob and Brian stare down from the clouds and smile
heh heh heh

Pretty much

Steve Staunton = Me
Old 26-10-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEG View Post
Yeah, you'd be first on the bandwagon
Aren't you a manyoo fan?