tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Gareth Bale's lack of grace - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 14-05-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly sham View Post
In fairness you can't blame him for not openly admitting to being able to speak it, he'd run the risk of reporters leading him into answers. Torres & Pochettino took this approach with English reporters.
I thought earlier on in Bale's move they mentioned formal Spanish lessons with other non native signings.
If he was disciplined enough and had private lessons daily he'd have the language skills to field reporter's questions. Almost two years in a foreign country and only being able to say penis and vagina and understand people when they slow down retard is not good enough! No wonder the other players don't pass the ball to him. They know damn well he is a right lazy bastard both on and off the field
Old 14-05-2015, 12:20 PM

Look at the Bayern Munchen coach.

Speaking perfect German. You can be sure he put the effort in to learning the language.
And he was able to curse with a bit of class the other day.
Old 14-05-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philby View Post
What an innocuous set of quotes to get your knickers in a twist about.
Innocuous... how? The quote sums up the man's general demeanour and makes for cringe worthy reading... why so called professionals draw this kind of attention on themselves I'll never know. Did he think people reading this would go: Baley boy is a cool witty guy... no you sound like a gormless fool!
Old 14-05-2015, 06:00 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin lovin life View Post
When asked if he was fluent yet, Bale replied: 'In swear words I am. I certainly understand the team talk as long as the manager doesn't talk too quickly.

'Learning a language is something anyone would love to do and I’ve got a great excuse to do it,' Bale added.

The fucker is the world's most expensive player so why wouldn't he have daily classes in Spanish? It's not like he can use the excuse of not been able to afford it. Whilst his remark about Ancellotti and swear words makes him sound juvenile and a bit thick.

Stupid fcuking question really. A person doesn't attain fluency in a language in the time Bale has been in Spain. Beckham's Spanish was nearly as shit when he left Real Madrid as the day he signed.
Players are offered daily classes but it's being out and about that helps you to attain fluency. Grammar books,c.ds. and one to one conversations aren't enough.
Learning a foreign language in the country can be a "bitch". Ask Eric Cantona!
Old 14-05-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bushwacker View Post

Stupid fcuking question really. A person doesn't attain fluency in a language in the time Bale has been in Spain. Beckham's Spanish was nearly as shit when he left Real Madrid as the day he signed.
Players are offered daily classes but it's being out and about that helps you to attain fluency. Grammar books,c.ds. and one to one conversations aren't enough.
Learning a foreign language in the country can be a "bitch". Ask Eric Cantona!
Horse shit! Fluency in a foreign language can be attained in 6-12 months assuming you're taking classes as well as being out and about immersing yourself in the culture. Being out and about as you put it is not enough. Sure people can be out and about for years and still not speak the language. I should know because i speak a foreign language fluently
Old 15-05-2015, 10:58 AM

Cool

Quote:
Horse shit! Fluency in a foreign language can be attained in 6-12 months assuming you're taking classes as well as being out and about immersing yourself in the culture. Being out and about as you put it is not enough. Sure people can be out and about for years and still not speak the language. I should know because i speak a foreign language fluently

What are you on about? I never said that being out and about was enough.
Read my post again.
You aren't the only one who speaks another language fluently. My experience with Spanish was that being out and about was crucial for me and when I finally went to do a university diploma in the language, I was put into the top level.
6-12 months? for a person with a flair for languages possibly yes but for most people it isn't enough. Michael Robinson has been living in Spain since the mid-1980s but his Spanish in no way reflects this.

Last edited by Lee Bushwacker; 15-05-2015 at 11:17 AM..
Old 15-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Senior PROC Member

He's paid to play for Madrid. If they thought him being a fluent Spanish speaker was a requirement you can be sure they'd have bought him a rosetta box set and a tutor.

Bale's problems are his price tag, Ronaldo, the fans and the fact that at Madrid he is not special. The world's most expensive player carries with it its own pressures even though God knows I wouldn't mind the financial burden. Ronaldo and the other egos at the club and their incredible individual abilities mean he is just one of the squad at Madrid where he stood out in the premiership at Spurs. That makes it harder to justify the price tag. The fans never bought in to the purchase of him. I think he made the move a season or 2 too early. Not because I am a Spurs fan but because I think he was too young to take a club like Madrid on.

He will go to United according to van Gaal and he will probably help to win them the premiership next season.
Old 15-05-2015, 11:16 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
He's paid to play for Madrid. If they thought him being a fluent Spanish speaker was a requirement you can be sure they'd have bought him a rosetta box set and a tutor.

Bale's problems are his price tag, Ronaldo, the fans and the fact that at Madrid he is not special. The world's most expensive player carries with it its own pressures even though God knows I wouldn't mind the financial burden. Ronaldo and the other egos at the club and their incredible individual abilities mean he is just one of the squad at Madrid where he stood out in the premiership at Spurs. That makes it harder to justify the price tag. The fans never bought in to the purchase of him. I think he made the move a season or 2 too early. Not because I am a Spurs fan but because I think he was too young to take a club like Madrid on.

He will go to United according to van Gaal and he will probably help to win them the premiership next season.

He's had a very disappointing second season and doesn't appear to be trying to fit in off the pitch. The Real Madrid players have always welcomed talented newcomers. Spain seems to be too much like living in a foreign country for Bale.
If United sign Depay, I'd be surprised if the Welshman came to Old Trafford tbh.
Old 15-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Senior PROC Member

Yea the living in a foreign country bit is why I think he should have waited. I don't think he was personally ready for the move and his game is suffering as a result. I see 'Arry has suggested he move back to Spurs - that's that finished anyway
Old 15-05-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Innocuous... how? The quote sums up the man's general demeanour and makes for cringe worthy reading... why so called professionals draw this kind of attention on themselves I'll never know. Did he think people reading this would go: Baley boy is a cool witty guy... no you sound like a gormless fool!
#1 - These quotes are 6 months old.

#2 - To be an effective footballer you don't need to be anywhere near fluent in the language.

You could probably get up to speed very quick indeed on the core instructional/communicational words that are used on the pitch

e.g. pass, shoot, cross, come, go, stay, track, give etc.

#3 - I don't see anything wrong or cringeworthy in this, at all

Quote:
'Learning a language is something anyone would love to do and I’ve got a great excuse to do it
#4 - This is a little juvenile...but in the locker room "bantosphere" things are often a little juvenile. In football you're not generally dealing with the most erudite of men.

Quote:
'In swear words I am. I certainly understand the team talk as long as the manager doesn't talk too quickly.
#5 - Corcaigh32's post is spot on in all aspects. I just hope his final sentence is misguided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post