tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
IRA interrogated teenage rape victim - Page 2 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 14-10-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strict66 View Post
How does implementing British rule in a state they vowed to re-unify with Ireland register on this scale . ?
What do you mean by re-unify? To suggest that NI can be re-unified with the South, suggests that it was once part of the same political entity. That's just not so, surely?

By core republican values I mean that one has to cherish all people as equal. To do that, one must respect the lives of ALL people - even those who disagree with you. Thus, republicans must try to change the monarchist system that prevails in NI whilst also respecting the rights of those loyalists who wish to keep that system. This means that they cannot wage war on such loyalists - and they certainly cannot kill them. Therefore, I would argue, that Gerry Adams has changed from a guy who wanted to remove a line on a map, to a republican who wants to remove a line on a map.

The people who still wish to remove the line, by violent means, are not, a cannot be republicans.
Old 15-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Banned

The bold Gerry tries to dodge the bullet.....

Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams has said he "totally refutes" allegations about a meeting he had with a woman who claims the IRA forced her to confront her alleged rapist.

Maíria Cahill said she was raped as a teenager and was later interrogated by the IRA about her rape claim.

The man she accused, Martin Morris, has consistently denied her claims and was acquitted of all charges.

Mr Adams said he had "met Maíria in good faith".

'Concerned'
The Belfast woman is a member of one of the republican movement's best-known families.

Her great uncle, Joe Cahill, was one of the founders of the Provisional IRA and a long-time associate of Mr Adams.

Mairia Cahill detailed several meetings she said she had with Gerry Adams about her abuse allegations
In the programme, Ms Cahill detailed the first of several meetings she had with Mr Adams about her abuse allegations.

Mr Adams said on Wednesday that the meeting was held "at the behest of her cousin and my late friend Siobhan O'Hanlon, who was concerned for Maíria's welfare".

"When I learned of the allegation of abuse from Siobhan, she told me that Maíria was refusing to go to the RUC," he said in a statement.

"Siobhan and I met with Joe Cahill who was Maíria's uncle. We told Joe of the allegation and asked him to speak to Maíria about reporting this to the RUC. He did so. Maíria did not want to do this at that time.

"I have contacted my solicitor with regard to the allegations made against me in the Spotlight programme."

Ms Cahill waived her right to anonymity to speak to BBC Northern Ireland's Spotlight programme, broadcast on Tuesday night.

'Face-to-face meeting'
Ms Cahill said that in 1997, when she was 16, she was subjected to a 12-month cycle of sexual abuse, including rape, by a man who was believed to be a member of the IRA.

Ms Cahill described how the IRA questioned her repeatedly, often several nights a week, for months about the abuse allegations, before summoning her to a meeting with her alleged abuser in early 2000.

In the programme, Ms Cahill outlined a meeting with Mr Adams where she raised her allegations.

"The most disturbing thing of that conversation for me was then he said: 'Well, you know Maíria, abusers can be extremely manipulative.'

"And you know, he kind of put his hand on his chin and he sat forward a wee bit, and he said: 'Sometimes they're that manipulative', that the people who have been abused actually enjoy it.

"I was absolutely horrified. And I, at that point, got very, very angry and said to him: 'Well I didn't enjoy it'.

"And at that the meeting was over for me, there was no point.

"He apologised on behalf of the republican movement for what had happened to me."

Two of those Ms Cahill identified in the programme as having led the IRA internal inquiry into the allegations are well-known figures.

Padraic Wilson was once the leader of the IRA in the Maze Prison, and is now considered a supporter of the peace process.

Seamus Finucane is a brother of the solicitor Pat Finucane, who was shot dead by loyalists.

Ms Cahill later went to the police, and a case was brought against the alleged rapist and those said to have been involved in the IRA inquiry.

All charges were dropped, and the accused rapist was acquitted after Ms Cahill withdrew her evidence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-29636716
Old 15-10-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
The man denied the allegations and was later acquitted in court.
Be all and end all of it really.
Old 16-10-2014, 08:48 PM

Let's look at the facts. Gerry protected his own paedophile brother who was convicted of rape allegations by his own daughter, Gerry's niece! - What more would you expect from a hypocrite. It's interesting that while the IRA were running their kangaroo court in the above case ten years earlier the Sinn Fein president had been made aware of the abuse allegation against his brother – where was the kangaroo court for Liam Adams?
Old 16-10-2014, 08:50 PM

Y'know I can't help but wonder if this Kanjaroo court had come to a different verdict and passed their own well documented brand of justice would we be even hearing about this.
Food for thought thinks I.
Old 17-10-2014, 06:49 AM

If this involved the British Army and the R.U.C.you would hear the screams for an enquiry from Gerry.
Old 17-10-2014, 08:00 AM

It is absolutely astounding what Gerry Adams gets away with.

Deny every accusation - no matter what the evidence.

And it works. Guaranteed to get re-elected at the next general election.

Makes you wonder.
Old 17-10-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulgorm View Post
It is absolutely astounding what Gerry Adams gets away with.

Deny every accusation - no matter what the evidence.

And it works. Guaranteed to get re-elected at the next general election.

Makes you wonder.
Now lets be fair here Poulgorm Gerry is traveling a well beaten track in Irish politics which takes in everything from corruption to the glorification of political violence and the covering up of child abuse.

If it hasn't bothered the electorate before why should it bother them now.
Old 17-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Banned

What everyone seems to forget is that Morris wasn't acquitted. The victim eventually refused to give evidence due to pressure from so called Republicans.
Old 17-10-2014, 11:11 AM

Gerry should hang his head in shame. Discussing carry on.