tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Venezuela the Socialist Dream Crumbles - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 PM
How bad boy How bad boy is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: MassiveJockNerdLandia
Posts: 20,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution Cork View Post
No crisis hmmm the rise of inequality in the States is becoming unprecedented, some would say that this is in fact a crisis but it depends on your perspective.
Big difference between absolute and relative poverty
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Some user Some user is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mire View Post
There is another country with a very different political and governing philosophy to the north of Venezuela that is also unbelievably wealthy yet is struggling to keep the machinery of government going and basic services operating, with abject urban poverty, a public health and crime crisis, wanton violence, horrendous inequality, and crumbling infrastructure. Its government is currently closing down some services because it cannot fund them.

Today, that country received a warning from the German Bundesbank suggesting it gets its house in order and to sort out its failing democratic structures. Class.
Spin, spin sugar.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-10-2013, 11:23 AM
leesider leesider is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Down under with a view to above!
Posts: 2,239
Default

They should all really be taking a leaf out of Bertie's book, the only true socialist among the lot of them!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Revolution Cork Revolution Cork is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by How bad boy View Post
Big difference between absolute and relative poverty
Nice words, must pass that onto the people living in the tented camps in America. Out of touch doesn't even describe your comment.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Stacky Stacky is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 35,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution Cork View Post
Nice words, must pass that onto the people living in the tented camps in America. Out of touch doesn't even describe your comment.
No need to have a go at the native Americans.

They have suffered enough.
__________________
"Nationalism is an infantile sickness. It is the measles of the human race."Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-10-2013, 02:14 PM
How bad boy How bad boy is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: MassiveJockNerdLandia
Posts: 20,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution Cork View Post
Nice words, must pass that onto the people living in the tented camps in America. Out of touch doesn't even describe your comment.
The amount of absolute poverty in the USA is way, way below that of Venezuela. On extreme poverty figures alone, Venezuela has 8.5% of the population living on the edge of survival. The equivalent figure in the USA is 1.5%.

This is despite having the fifth largest oil reserves in the world (although PDVSA has managed to reduce production in the past 8 years, and it is very, very heavily dependent on exports to the USA).

Non-oil exports are down 37% in the past year, down to a paltry 3.7% of exports. Oil made up the remaining 96.3% of exports.

That's a staggering destruction of everything that isn't related to oil.

7% of the Venezuelan population don't have access to clean water, 9% don't have access to proper sanitation. 70% of municipalities are deemed by the UN to have insufficent water and sanitation. Only a third of all wastewater is treated.

The equivalent stats for the USA are: less than 1% don't have access to proper sanitation (set to a far higher standard than Venezuela is judged). Less than 11% of public water is considered to be below the standards mandated by federal standards. Untreated wastewater is extremely rare in municipal systems and is usually only found in storm sewer based systems.

To compare the level and rates of poverty in the two countries is laughable.
__________________
The Wrongest Man On The Internet (TM)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Revolution Cork Revolution Cork is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by How bad boy View Post
The amount of absolute poverty in the USA is way, way below that of Venezuela. On extreme poverty figures alone, Venezuela has 8.5% of the population living on the edge of survival. The equivalent figure in the USA is 1.5%.

This is despite having the fifth largest oil reserves in the world (although PDVSA has managed to reduce production in the past 8 years, and it is very, very heavily dependent on exports to the USA).

Non-oil exports are down 37% in the past year, down to a paltry 3.7% of exports. Oil made up the remaining 96.3% of exports.

That's a staggering destruction of everything that isn't related to oil.

7% of the Venezuelan population don't have access to clean water, 9% don't have access to proper sanitation. 70% of municipalities are deemed by the UN to have insufficent water and sanitation. Only a third of all wastewater is treated.

The equivalent stats for the USA are: less than 1% don't have access to proper sanitation (set to a far higher standard than Venezuela is judged). Less than 11% of public water is considered to be below the standards mandated by federal standards. Untreated wastewater is extremely rare in municipal systems and is usually only found in storm sewer based systems.

To compare the level and rates of poverty in the two countries is laughable.
I was not comparing both countries , that is what you have done, read before you post.I stated that there might be a crisis in the States due to inequality, which has also been pointed out by such eminent people as Warren Buffet etc... You are probably more qualified than him though so you would know better.

What is Americas position on the HPI considering it is considered the richest country in the world? What about Ireland's position, maybe the UK.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Stacky Stacky is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 35,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution Cork View Post
I was not comparing both countries , that is what you have done, read before you post.I stated that there might be a crisis in the States due to inequality, which has also been pointed out by such eminent people as Warren Buffet etc... You are probably more qualified than him though so you would know better.

What is Americas position on the HPI considering it is considered the richest country in the world? What about Ireland's position, maybe the UK.
Rev_Y this is about the absolute shambles and mismanagement of the Venezuelan economy by State enforced failed Socialism.

The Venezuelan people deserve better.

Even the very basics will do at this stage.
__________________
"Nationalism is an infantile sickness. It is the measles of the human race."Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-10-2013, 02:52 PM
oul'doll oul'doll is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Up my arse.
Posts: 36,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some user View Post
Spin, spin sugar.

Great track.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Revolution Cork Revolution Cork is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Rev_Y this is about the absolute shambles and mismanagement of the Venezuelan economy by State enforced failed Socialism.

The Venezuelan people deserve better.

Even the very basics will do at this stage.
What is better exactly? Living longer, education, Health or is it being in a country with a small elite, with little prospect of you ever entering that elite, while at the same time you starve in a sea of ignorance. I know what I would choose.

That's basic Stacky but it's well beyond you to even contemplate that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




Mystery & Imagination Harry Clarke Watercolours

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼






tester
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.