tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
The Aston Villa Thread - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 10-09-2010, 12:10 PM

Well, Gerard has put his "pied dans la bouche" by saying in effect that Villa's place in the Premier League is "between 7th and 12th". (Talk about trying to lower expectations!) He's also not going to be at the Stoke match on Monday night because he's clearing up some issues with the French Football Federation and there are rumours that he plans to continue to live in France.
I think someone should buy him a copy of "How to win friends and influence people"!
Old 13-09-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philby View Post
That wouldn't be a wise move (assuming McDonald would be willing to stay on and work with "The Frenchman" (copyright Ian St John)
McDonald and Thompson both out of the running.

Gary McAllister being mooted now.

Potentially a fine appointment especially as a successful role as assistant could set him up nicely for the manager's role himself in a few years time.
Old 18-09-2010, 08:47 PM

Whether Villa fans are angry or not with O'Neill for leaving the club so close to new season kick off I don't know? but have to say I'm impressed that there hasn't been a word from O'Neill since, many ex players/managers would be bad mouthing right away if they were in a similar situation.
Old 20-09-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starpilot View Post
Whether Villa fans are angry or not with O'Neill for leaving the club so close to new season kick off I don't know? but have to say I'm impressed that there hasn't been a word from O'Neill since, many ex players/managers would be bad mouthing right away if they were in a similar situation.
I hope you're right although he might be saving it for the autobiography!
Most Villa supporters I've been in touch with - even if they have some sympathy with the likely reasons for his departure - are quite peed off with him checking out the week the League was due to start.
Old 22-09-2010, 09:05 PM

The Houllier revolution begins! 3-1 against Blackburn in the Carling Cup on a night when both Chelsea and Manchester City crash out and Liverpool are making heavy weather of disposing of Northampton. Spurs were hockeyed by Arsenal last night. So three serious rivals gone - and maybe four if Liverpool can't win their game. Of course Man U and L'Arsenal are still there and Newcastle must fancy their chances after disposing of Chelski.
Old 22-09-2010, 10:12 PM

hopefully arsenal will draw utd in the next round then it's Up For Grabs.
Old 26-09-2010, 05:59 PM

Two out of two for Monsieur Gerard after what sounds like a hard-fought win against Wolves at Molineux. (I didn't get to see any of it and only got to hear about 10 minutes of the first half.)
With the way the other results fell this weekend, Villa find themselves in fifth.
However, October looks like being a difficult month with Spurs, Sunderland and Small Heath away and Chelsea at home.
Heskey looks as though he's been replaced by a body-snatcher though and I suspect that if MON had been on the touchline, Petrov would not have been replaced and we might have struggled to hang on for a draw.
Old 27-09-2010, 09:49 AM

What a winner from Heskey!! Aggy ain't fit though and our Ashley runs a liitle bit headless at times!!
Old 16-10-2010, 08:01 PM

Not a bad result today against the freescoring League front runners. It was hard to watch at times but whilst Chelsea had the bulk of both the possession and played the sweeter football, Villa could have been 2-0 up after 10 minutes and might have won it at the death when Hokey Cokey hit wide after working very hard to win the ball.
There also seemed to be an attempt to play through midfield and down the wings rather that relying on hopeful 50 yard punts.
There is little evidence of true top four quality but if there is a rub of the green in the draws, one of the two remaining cups on offer might just end up in the Villa trophy cabinet.
UTV!
Old 13-11-2010, 04:36 PM

I'd have taken a draw at 12.45 so, all in all, it was a good result and sounds as though it was also a good performance.
There is something there, however, about not being able to hang onto leads. It was the same the other night against the might of Blackpool. Fortuitously, James Collins got a late late winner.
There are some great young players coming through, partially because of the huge injury crisis and I hope we'll be able to hold onto them.