tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Beef Dispute - Page 2 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 11-09-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordes'a'Fopperies View Post
Is there a quote missing there? Who are you responding to?
Soundy.

You can reply as well lol.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
As far as I know the farmers are raising cattle for slaughter at between 50c and 1Euro below cost per Kilo - it is unsustainable.

The markets allegedly been flooded with imported beef from places where there are less stringent controls on animal husbandry.

Farmers are getting a lot less for the meat but I don't think that the cost of meat to the consumer has dramatically dropped.

Methinks the meat processors are making a fortune on this and don't want to cut the farmers in on a better deal.

As someone else said the thing the IFA should do is set up their own meat processing plant - they'd need to have customers lined up obviously. But at the moment Goodman and co seem to have a cartel running.
Meat in Ireland still relatively cheap and demand is more or less steady. Think in Europe, demand for red meat has dropped quite a bit and hence downward pressure on prices. Issue seems to be processors want to maintain profitability as per previously and let farmers take the full hit.
Don't think market has been flooded as quite difficult to source non-eu beef without proving strict compliance with EU regulations and paying hefty tariffs albeit moves afoot to allow more non EU beef into market from next year.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyAl View Post
Ahh so it is the EU's fault, free trade free travel and as you point out, greed on behalf of the processors.

No one saw this happening years ago I suppose. Lol.
Is that you Boris
Old 11-09-2019, 02:35 PM

Essentially, a group of producers are making a product for which demand is dropping. They believe that they should be getting a better price for what they are producing.

Once the supply of their product begins to dry up I'm sure the market will respond accordingly and increase the price they receive.

Alternatively, customers will switch to alternatives. These small businesses also produce a commodity which contributes significantly to our carbon emissions and therefore they should be made pay a carbon tax which is proportionate to the damage they inflict on our environment.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesball View Post
Should all the steak holders get around the table and sort it out.
How do you like yours?
Old 11-09-2019, 02:41 PM

Location: In the Jungle, the mighty Jungle, the Langer sleeps toniiiiight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drucker View Post
they should be made pay a carbon tax which is proportionate to the damage they inflict on our environment.
So should vegans...

Or anyone's bits really. I'd just like to see some bits.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:53 PM

I reckon someone is for the chop before it is sorted out.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drucker View Post
Essentially, a group of producers are making a product for which demand is dropping. They believe that they should be getting a better price for what they are producing.

Once the supply of their product begins to dry up I'm sure the market will respond accordingly and increase the price they receive.

Alternatively, customers will switch to alternatives. These small businesses also produce a commodity which contributes significantly to our carbon emissions and therefore they should be made pay a carbon tax which is proportionate to the damage they inflict on our environment.
Cattle also produce a lot of methane which is also a greenhouse gas.

I guess it's kind of hard to match supply and demand as it takes a couple of years to grow a cow and by then demand could have changed again.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:13 PM
PROC Member

Why cant farmers kill and gut their own cows?

In anatomy terms a cow is just a giant chicken.

Surely those brazian slaughter house workers would do a few cows in a farmers shed for cash as foxers?
Old 11-09-2019, 03:17 PM

Location: In the Jungle, the mighty Jungle, the Langer sleeps toniiiiight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Poogan View Post
Why cant farmers kill and gut their own cows?

In anatomy terms a cow is just a giant chicken.

Surely those brazian slaughter house workers would do a few cows in a farmers shed for cash as foxers?
Hygeine, you fucking heathen...

Or anyone's bits really. I'd just like to see some bits.