tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Microsoft embarassing u-turn on windows 8 - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 08-05-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Curious Lozenge View Post
came out with some magnificent shit alright tbf

wasn't that the 98 launch? or XP? ...ye can't beat this classic...

Old 08-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Senior PROC Member

All I can say is any security conscious organisation hasn't upgraded yet from XP.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
All I can say is any security conscious organisation hasn't upgraded yet from XP.
why so? W7 is as secure if not more so in some areas .. Vista they had soem reason W8 as it's a complete and utter locked down balls of a setup but W7 is on par with XP any day...

3.1/95/XP/W7 best stuff they ever did imho...
Old 08-05-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
Again, simply not true. A huge amount of our customers are on Windows 7 - some of them are security paranoid.
Windows 7 is orders of magnitude more secure than XP - even Vista has a smaller attack vector than XP.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:36 PM

Bill Gates has a point when it comes to enterprise use of tablets. Android and iPad tablets are currently consumer devices and not good enough for working properly on.

They still have a huge advantage there.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Senior PROC Member

Tlc

Your fucking lights are still on because energy companies aren't paranoid about security. They are conscious of it and refuse to upgrade until they are certain they aren't going to have a hacker turn the lights off.

They won't take the risk
Old 09-05-2013, 03:51 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastesLikeChicken View Post
Good Lord, where do you guys pull this shit from? MS have some of the greatest minds in CS working for them. Mark Russinovich, Bart de Smet, Anders Hejlsberg works there FFS.

There is some amazing work coming out of the Dev Div & Tools sections. Reactive extensions, LINQ, MVC - async/await in C# 5 is probably the coolest technology I've seen in decades.

and people still berate them for a single window in a single release of a single OS.
Bizarre...
3 people does not a company make; when they go to a Graduate Fair, do you figure they are in the Top 3 ? if you say yes, I'd reccomend you go to 1 or 2
Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastesLikeChicken View Post
Again, simply not true. A huge amount of our customers are on Windows 7 - some of them are security paranoid.
Windows 7 is orders of magnitude more secure than XP - even Vista has a smaller attack vector than XP.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:55 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by How bad boy View Post
Bill Gates has a point when it comes to enterprise use of tablets. Android and iPad tablets are currently consumer devices and not good enough for working properly on.

They still have a huge advantage there.
It will get there eventually; what company would go for business's over consumers first

Microsoft are the old reliable; if anything I would figure Amazon to take a stab at business - especially given their cloud knowledge which hosts alot of companies already.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkonian83 View Post
It will get there eventually; what company would go for business's over consumers first

Microsoft are the old reliable; if anything I would figure Amazon to take a stab at business - especially given their cloud knowledge which hosts alot of companies already.
It's a great strategy, if done right.

Blackberry do it, for example.

IBM conquered the world of the PC by doing it.

I've yet to see a decent replacement for outlook and of the office replacements, none are quite as good as Microsoft's in my opinion.
It's not good enough to match them, you have to be significantly better, as it's an absolute pain in the hole to change over, so that change had better bloody well be worth it.
Hell, that's the entire selling point behind Lotus Notes (which I have to use occasionally):
"Lotus Notes, because we're stuck with this shit and fuck you, employees"

Amazon has nothing for business right now, and Google's offering is, honestly, a little amateurish. I use it for my own little side business, but there is no way in hell I would use it for a proper business. There are nice plugins for Open Office, but other than that, it's really not so good. Cloud only solutions are not good enough either, must have desktop integration. Same issue Chrome faced at the start, which Google are addressing.

Microsoft would be fools to release Office for Android or iPad, if they wish to retain the business sector in the new world of fondleslabs. And until then, they really do have a USP for Windows 8 on a touch device. I literally couldn't work properly on an Android tablet or iPad and I'm only a manager, not a tech guy (any more). All I need is word, excel, powerpoint and outlook...