tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
The obligatory new Apple Macbook thread - Page 12 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 27-07-2011, 10:20 AM

here How Bad Boy that was an outstanding post up above (the one that got posted twice). fair play indeed.

but i am not sure why we have moved the conversation so far down the line of mobile phones. perhaps that is the area of expertise, so conversations inevitably get sidetracked.

on the conversation of phones 'Apps' - Apple do have a huge lead in this. And if Apps are the way forward in terms of both content consumption and creation - then there is no way Apple will be knocked off their perch.

It would be like saying that someone will knock iTunes from its position as market leader in downloads. it just won't happen, bar a massive shock to the industry.

re The Cloud.

apple have launched first - and integrated it into all their iOS apps and OSX 10.7. that integration is the key, not to mention the integration with the Appstore - all your updates for phone and laptop are done through here now - and it seems pretty seamless. you also have integration again with your media content through iTunes - and their cloud services on iTunes.

basically, you say the MS have a jump in the business side of things, especially with their online based office stuff. that is great, but Apple will then have all the casual/general user market tied up - and if that is the case - that user base is surely far larger than just the business base, so Apple will dominate again?
Old 27-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Senior PROC Member

Ahh HBB
The Box I installed it in is a desktop , optiplex 745 .

It couldn't be more generic really , so I reckon everything will work
I think there was even an option to buy them from Dell at the time with Linux pre-installed .

Now , Just need the BIOS password so I can turn on the third SATA Port to activate my 2TB Drive that I squez in with a shoehorn and world Domination is next

Muahahhahahhahah
Old 27-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd26 View Post
The broadband issue is a massive one. Cloud services will not work in Ireland until it's sorted out.

As for the question of trusting those three companies with data...

I don't think major corporations or government bodies are likely to put their sensitive data into the cloud. However, what you may see is businesses putting certain web and application servers into the cloud with a secured connection from the cloud into their private network for data storage.

For smaller businesses, it's not actually that different from what has always happened. Many businesses have stored their data with hosting providers anyway.

I would trust Apple, Google and Microsoft to do their best, which is probably better than I could do if I was securing data myself. Although, they obviously become a bigger target, while if you're hosting your own, you are more than likely not even going to be found for an attack.

I wouldn't trust Facebook in the slightest. They have a proven record of playing free and easy with the data they hold. Not sure about Amazon.

Give me a chance will ya , I'm working on it ....
Old 27-07-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyton View Post
As for the "Cloud" would everyone here feel happy with storing all their doc's online, in one of Apples or Google's or MS's servers? Especially now that company's like Sony have been pwned by tinternet peoples like LulzSec and anonymous? And at that, would you think it prudent for any business to put all their stuff in the hands of someone else?
It's quite normal in corporate situations, at least in my industry. EMC's Documentum is widely used and a pretty excellent example of a cloud implementation, I can access any of the documents I need anywhere in the world, and with local mirrors, in the office, it's as fast as a local server. I can (almost) work on the documents live, but it's missing that bit.
The Sony one was an example of a private cloud, it actually illustrates just how difficult security is and, IMO, makes the advantages of dedicated cloud storage providers stronger, not weaker. Most companies have shit security policies, those cloud providers who can demonstrate good security procedures can actually sell better security solutions to companies, rather than companies having to have entire data security outfits and reinventing the wheel every time.
Quote:
However, what you may see is businesses putting certain web and application servers into the cloud with a secured connection from the cloud into their private network for data storage.
Exactly, that's what it's going to be, IMO.
Quote:
I wouldn't trust Facebook in the slightest. They have a proven record of playing free and easy with the data they hold. Not sure about Amazon.
I barely trust Facebook with the information I've provided them on my page. It makes me slightly uncomfortable, TBH. I certainly wouldn't host my email with them.
But oddly, I have no bother with my email with both Microsoft and Google. I'm less sure about Apple, TBH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by umma08 View Post
here How Bad Boy that was an outstanding post up above (the one that got posted twice). fair play indeed.

but i am not sure why we have moved the conversation so far down the line of mobile phones. perhaps that is the area of expertise, so conversations inevitably get sidetracked.
I like a good meandering conversation
Quote:
on the conversation of phones 'Apps' - Apple do have a huge lead in this. And if Apps are the way forward in terms of both content consumption and creation - then there is no way Apple will be knocked off their perch.
I disagree. There are very few apps for the iPhone that you can't get on Android. Some, but not that many. Their lead is much smaller than you think.
Quote:
It would be like saying that someone will knock iTunes from its position as market leader in downloads. it just won't happen, bar a massive shock to the industry.
Errah, besides from anti-trust issues, it doesn't make much money, except for the App store bit. And the video bit, but that's run by Netflix, so it's hard to tell how much they make. Besides, my Android phone works just fine with it, using a plugin.
Although those legal problems could be serious, lot of labels are unhappy about iTunes and there are very strong rumours of an anti-trust case being prepared against Apple for it:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ntitrust_probe

Quote:
re The Cloud.

apple have launched first - and integrated it into all their iOS apps and OSX 10.7. that integration is the key, not to mention the integration with the Appstore - all your updates for phone and laptop are done through here now - and it seems pretty seamless. you also have integration again with your media content through iTunes - and their cloud services on iTunes.
It is seamless for the current state of affairs.
But you're within the Apple ecosystem. Most people are not and the majority of iPhone owners are not. Microsoft, if they can get the seamless integration with their phones, or if anyone else can do it better than iTunes, then they are in trouble. On the PC, iTunes is not a great piece of software. I don't want Bonjour. Stop trying to get me to install MobileMe and Safari. Do you really need to start the Apple Mobile Device Helper, the Apple Mobile Device Service, the application updater, iPod Service, iTunes Helper, and 3-4 other processes???

Quote:
basically, you say the MS have a jump in the business side of things, especially with their online based office stuff. that is great, but Apple will then have all the casual/general user market tied up - and if that is the case - that user base is surely far larger than just the business base, so Apple will dominate again?
No. Apple have a decent percentage of a subsegment of the mobile market. This is where most of their profits come from. If you take that out, their profits look far less impressive. I suspect that's why the laptops are so highly priced, a few years ago, they weren't making massive profits on this sector, perhaps they want to rebalance.

The mobile phone market is extremely fickle and dynamic. It only takes 2-3 years from the master of the market to the next failure. Nokia had 40% of the global market, a large percentage of the market profits and was dominating. It still had about 70% of the global smartphone market, down from nigh on 100% of the market in 2005.
It has dropped over 12% of global market share (still at about 28%, which is still No.1 and about 33% of the global smartphone market) and has laid off a scarily large percentage of its R&D.

I've seen it over and over again in this industry.
Apple sold 20M iPhones, some estimates have the average profit per unit at $300. I'd say it's closer to $200, but still, those would have contributed well over half the quarterly profit.

If the Android phones are outcompeting it on a phone level, then those supernormal profits (and they are exceptional) are going to be extremely difficult to sustain.

They're probably not making a massive profit on the iPads, they're selling them for cheaper than the iPhone but the component costs are likely to be higher, mostly because of that screen and the battery, which are usually the most expensive parts on any phone.

So I don't think this profit burst will last, especially when Samsung and other companies are coming out with this, with more powerful processors: