tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
FAO: Out da Lough Like: Moving Dumpland to Athlone - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 27-02-2006, 11:30 PM
qware_hawk qware_hawk is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 24
Default FAO: Out da Lough Like: Moving Dumpland to Athlone

So anyways, what with all the rioting in Dumpland at the weekend, I checked out Republican Sinn Fein's website. They have a proposal that might interest you (highlighted in bold):

____________________ ____________________ ____________________ __________________


http://www.rsf.ie/intro.htm

Éire Nua, d'Aois Nua
Republican Sinn Féin's proposal for a just settlement in Ireland is ÉIRE NUA (New Ireland) -- A four province federal Ireland, with a self-governing parliament in each of the four provinces: the nine-county Ulster, Connacht, Munster and Leinster. Each of these parliaments would deal with the governing of their province as part of the objective of the creation of an Ireland of self-governing communities in which people will control their own affairs.

This involves the total re-structuring of local government in this island, not only in administration but also in the nature and functions of local authorities themselves. This re-structuring would be on four levels in accordance with the principle of subsidiarity of function:

VOLUNTARY COMMUNITY COUNCILS for every 1,500-6,000 people in urban and rural areas with the right of audience at all District Council meetings.
DISTRICT COUNCILS: This basic unit of statutory government would serve the needs of communities of 10,000-40,000 (depending on local variations) and would have charge of public services to individuals and families in the sphere of social welfare, education, labour guidance, trading and employment practics, housing, planning permission, agriculture and fishing, small industry development etc.
REGIONAL COUNCILS: These would concern themselves with (a) public services with a high technological content, eg hospitals, major roads, telcommunications and third level education; (b) collection of local revenue and (c) economic, physical and educational planning.
PROVINCIAL ASSEMBLIES: The provincial legislature would allocate funds to the Regional Councils and co-ordinate regional plans.
Each district would have a local government office where the citizens could conduct all their normal business -- housing, agricultural, grants and information on the social services -- all under one roof in a local town within an hour's drive of each and every citizen. In this way the citizens, with proper training at school, could do all their own business rather than be "beholden" to politicians. Within a special Gaeltacht Region, there would be a local office (as above) in each Gaeltacht district.

There would be a National Parliament, which Republican Sinn Féin proposes placing in Athlone -- the geographic centre of Ireland. The National Parliament would deal with Foreign Affairs and Defence.

The motive behind the Federal proposal is to be fair to all sections of the country. The Republican struggle is against the domination of Ireland by the British State. The people who are currently described as Unionist are a part of the Irish nation. Their concerns about domination by Dublin in a unitary State of all Ireland should be listened to, and are in fact shared by the so-called 'peripheral' regions in the 26-County area.
____________________ ____________________ ____________________ ________________

What d'ya think ha? Would it work? Would it mean building another M50?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28-02-2006, 09:05 AM
jungle jungle is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10,965
Default

Moving the capital out of Dublin could make sense. It could take the heat out of the Dublin office market. The state would be able to fund it by selling the very valuable buildings it maintains in Dublin. It would also move the politicians away from those most likely to corrupt them [For this reason, the German political (Berlin), commerial (Frankfurt) and judicial (Karlsruhe) capitals are kept separate.

However, apart from the nice fact of it being the geographical centre* of Ireland, there is no reason to pick Athlone. Think of how hard it is to get to Athlone from Cork (no decent rail or road links). It's equally hard from Waterford or Limerick.

Now, I know this is Republican Sinn Fein, so they're thinking in terms of the whole island, but looking for a new capital for the republic only, and trying to find somewhere that is well connected to the rest of the country the best options would be Port Laoise, Tipperary (town) or even Limerick.

* That's on a very cruse calculation of finding the halfway latitude between the most northerly and southerly points and the halfway longitude between the countries most westerly and easterly points. In fact a substantially larger area of Ireland lies east of Athlone. It also doesn't make any population weighting, which would move it a long way further east and substantially further north (in the case of the island) or slightly further south in the case of the republic.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28-02-2006, 09:13 AM
D'oriel D'oriel is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Making Love To My Ego
Posts: 28,486
Default

It's not hard to get from Cork to Athlone. You go the Dublin road as far as the Horse and Jockey and turn left.

That's it.

What I think you mean is shocking, absolutely shocking roads.



It was a mistake to mention Limerick in the context that you did...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
With luck you will be caught by the Isis lads next time you are out to save the world.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28-02-2006, 09:15 AM
jungle jungle is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'oriel
It's not hard to get from Cork to Athlone. You go the Dublin road as far as the Horse and Jockey and turn left.

That's it.

What I think you mean is shocking, absolutely shocking roads.



It was a mistake to mention Limerick in the context that you did...
Shocking roads and no rail lines. There's no airport anywhere near Athlone either (although that could be held against Port Laoise too).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Sir Denis Eton-Hogg Sir Denis Eton-Hogg is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 214
Angry

Mad as Badgers.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28-02-2006, 09:21 AM
jungle jungle is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Denis Eton-Hogg
Mad as Badgers.
This idea of going for the geographic centre rather than somewhere practical is just an illustraion of their obsession with romanticism and symbolism and their absolute lack of pragmatism.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Out da Lough Like Out da Lough Like is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,609
Default

Your point about moving politicians away from Dumpland because of the corruption and your citing of Germany as an example is very valid, particularly in the light of the M50 toll bridge and other planning issues.


Anyway, when we achieve independence here in the PROC it would probably be easier to get an embassy in Athlone then Dumpland.


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28-02-2006, 09:22 AM
D'oriel D'oriel is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Making Love To My Ego
Posts: 28,486
Default

Jungle, do you not think that moving the political capital to Athlone would provide a reason to develop a higher standard of infrastructure?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
With luck you will be caught by the Isis lads next time you are out to save the world.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28-02-2006, 09:28 AM
jungle jungle is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'oriel
Jungle, do you not think that moving the political capital to Athlone would provide a reason to develop a higher standard of infrastructure?
But think about the cost of that. You're talking about billions in infrastructure spending when it wouldn't be necessary. You just select a point with already decent infrastructure that would need some upgrading rather than somewhere that would need it put in place from scratch.

Seeing that you're now a taxpayer, I'd have thought you'd appreciate the not wanting unnecessary spending now
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28-02-2006, 09:41 AM
D'oriel D'oriel is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Making Love To My Ego
Posts: 28,486
Default

Since when am I a taxpayer?

I was for the past 18 months, but now I'm not... I strive to be different, you see.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
With luck you will be caught by the Isis lads next time you are out to save the world.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




Dwyers Christmas Sessions

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼






tester
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.