tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Training Run Times - Page 1480 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 01-12-2019, 12:12 PM
Senior PROC Member

Thanks lads. First two small bottles in the body, now for lunch with the father-in-law. Then a few more this evening.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:22 PM

Enjoy..they’ve been hard earned
Old 02-12-2019, 11:56 AM

Superb Carmona. delighted it all appears to have gone to plan! Congrats
Old 06-12-2019, 04:10 PM
Senior PROC Member

Better do an ould report before I've forgotten everything.

Training had gone well, this new - for me - Hansons plan. Check it out if you want to try something different. No long Long runs and more 'sessions'.

I thought I was in fairly decent shape and was kinda aiming for a 2,54. That would be an almost 5 min pb so it was a bit ambitious (at this age!)

A week before the race I had the option of staying the night before in a hotel right by the start/finish and I snapped it up. The whole Bib pick up and stuff went smoothly although the increased numbers was beginning to show.......... Up to 25,000 this year and I believe they're looking at 30 next year (I've already signed up!)

Ok, fuck it, the race. I was in the 2.50 to 2.59 pen so I knew I wouldn't have to flake off at the start as there were going to be quite a few faster types around me. First km was fairly slow as you'd expect but I knew there was some time left to make up the 10 seconds lost I got into a bit of a rhythm and felt ok but never really had great vibes. Ya know when sometimes the first part feels super slow and easy. Not this race. Felt just under "I'm working here" pace. Not much to report for the whole first half really. Temps were fine, about 15 degrees, except a bit in the direct sun but a lot was shaded as it's December and an 08:30 start.

By about km 10 I was on pace target except those few seconds lost at the start. The group or groups around me were quite big but there was no hassle and the water stations were really long so you had ample opportunity to grab a bottle. I still think my nutrition isn't the best even after 15 or 16 of these things. I had 4 gels originally but took one just before the start. They're a real strange consistency and take a bit of swallowing. I ended up only taking one more as it happens. I could have sworn I had two during the race, but no, they were in the back pocket at the end! Not a whole lot to report to be honest. One funny moment was when an ould doll shouted out, "C'mon ye cowards" which is a hilarious reference to a former Spanish soccer manager's line that 'running is for cowards' which kinda makes sense in soccer when you want fellas to slow down and get on the ball. A Spanish lad next to me had a chuckle and we exchange a line but there was next to no chat for the 42k really.

There were a few kms directly into the sun just before the Halfway mark and these were a bit tough. Over the Half in 1.27.20 if memory serves me. Feeling ok. Back towards the start/finish and on to the city centre where the wife was waiting with a small bottle of flat Coke. I took this (km29.5) and maybe that's why I ignored the other gel(s). I ended up drinking almost all of it over the next couple of kms. As we headed away from the city towards the 32km mark I began to feel tired for the first time and the calves were complaining. The famous cramps!!! There's a pattern these last few marathons where the calf muscles get really sore, tighten up a bit and I get a few jabs in 'em but they didn't fully cramp. This slows me a little bit but is not a deal breaker.

I do wonder if I could have fought harder mentally and physically here to keep the 4.08 pace. On the day I couldn't and I noticed I was losing time. I had a strategy of pressing the lap button at the 5km markers and the magic figure was 20.40. The early ones had been 20.56 to 20.30 but now they were creeping over 21 and the worst would be the 35 to 40 split, coming in at 21.48 or just over a minute leaked on the target. At this stage people were passing me, not in droves but enough of the bastids, and I was only passing the poor buggers in serious trouble! I was very aware of distance and time and I knew a PB was on the cards if I didn't fall in a hole.

I remember actually trying to up the pace at a couple of points in the last 5 kms but I didn't manage it except maybe in the last 2 where I got back near target pace although never to 4.08 I was sore and a bit sorry for myself for a lot of the last 10k but I did think about a friend who is fairly unwell and told myself to cop on and keep going. I implored his aid at one stage. The end in Valencia is fairly stunning, the last 2.2kms are lined with people and the last 800 metres are spectacular, down in the old river bed with its modern Calatrava buildings and the baby blue water features. You can see all this on YouTube, easiest is if you watch the Road 10k World Record that fell on Sunday.

Crossed the finish line, just a tad wobbly. Not too bad and wasn't too emotional for a minute or two. Then as I went to get the medal and the goodies I started blubbering a bit and the poor old volunteers were embarrassed I think. Third time doing the full here and my best result. A PB isn't a bad day's work I suppose. That said the level here is humbling. I was 1,700 or so and around 66th in my category.

No comment.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:42 PM

Good man Carmona..I was about to give you grief for not putting up a report sooner. Well done again on the big PB...you must have been getting nervous when the calves started to jab!! Valencia really seems to be increasing its profile as a venue in recent years. I’m familiar with the finishing area. It’s impressive on a normal day but must be unreal on marathon day
Old 09-12-2019, 11:18 AM

Fair Play Carmona, well done.
How did you think the lack of "long long runs" affected the last 10k. I am not suggesting that it did have an effect as you just ran faster than you ever have before?

How many languages do you speak ?
Old 09-12-2019, 11:33 AM

Great report there C. – always good to hear how a lad was feeling at different times in the race and how he kept the ship afloat at the crisis points. Feck it, you were bang on at the halfway mark too.

I think everyone wonders in the immediate aftermath if they could have pulled out that extra two minutes or so but then you think back to the last 10k and how you were fighting hard to just stay on course for the PB – plus the fun with the calves – and I think you got what you could out of it. Also, you felt like you were working hard from the 1st km – another reason to think you might have maximised your performance.

2:57:37 is a good lump off the PB – well worth the celebration. As to the blubbing – nobody gets through the 26.2 of hard effort without going through a serious emotional experience. It’s not just the race, it’s the three or four months of hard work (alone) beforehand too. I usually end up having a sniffle or two as well – usually on a good day, for some reason never on the not-so-good ones. At DCM this year it didn’t come until I was talking to missus on the phone around 30 minutes after the race. She’s below in Cork listening to me shiteing on above in Dublin – LOL.

So, do you think the unconventional plan was a winner? Hard to argue with such a good PB.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post

How many languages do you speak ?
English, Irish, Spanish, French and Faranreese..
Old 09-12-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackpoolTerrier View Post
English, Irish, Spanish, French and Faranreese..
Old 09-12-2019, 02:30 PM
Senior PROC Member

I'll answer some of those questions after Smurf tells us how he got on in Waterford. Congrats again. We're always fooking congratulating Smurf!! Give us a bit of an idea how it went and how you felt. were you isolated for long stretches, did you have doubts and so on.

No comment.