tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Solidarity Books Talk by Conor McCabe Thurs 26 Jul 7pm - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Arts & Culture
User Name
Password

Old 20-07-2012, 01:59 PM

Default Solidarity Books Talk by Conor McCabe Thurs 26 Jul 7pm

Solidarity Books Talk by Dr Conor McCabe - "Ireland and the Shadow Banking System" – Thurs 26 July, 7pm

On Thursday 26 July Solidarity Books will host "Ireland and the Shadow Banking System", a talk by Dr. Conor McCabe author of "Sins of the Father: Tracing the Decisions that Shaped the Irish Economy (2011)". Start time is 7pm. Hope to see you there.

Conor McCabe is a journalist and writer with the online publications Dublin Opinion and Irish Left Review. His specialities are economics and Irish politics.

Ireland and the Shadow Banking System.
A talk by Dr. Conor McCabe

There are almost 6,000 companies operating out of Ireland’s financial services centre, and they manage over €2 trillion in assets every year. Most of these companies exist in name only, and are used primarily as tax-avoidance vehicles by international finance. With 25,000 jobs (of which 9,000 are with Irish companies), and a corporation tax amount of less than half a billion euro a year, the IFSC consists of just over one per cent of the entire workforce and less than two per cent of total government income. It is at best a regional economy, an enclave on the Liffey - yet it is continually promoted as the saviour of the Irish economy and ‘the only game in town.’ Its protection by the State, however, has less to do with the national economy, and more to do with the nature of money, finance and power in Ireland today. This talk till try to throw a light on the dynamics of the IFSC, in particular the shadow banking system of which the IFSC is a hub, and will discuss the nature of Ireland’s ‘middleman’ capitalism which secures its wealth from its role as an intermediary between international finance and the resources of the Irish State.

Dr. Conor McCabe is a historian and author of Sins of the Father: Tracing the Decisions that Shaped the Irish Economy (Dublin, 2011). The economist and academic Dr. Tom O’Connor said in a review for the Irish Examiner that “the breadth and compass of the book is breath-taking. It is head and shoulders above the other books and is a tour de force as a critical economic history of Ireland.” The broadcaster Vincent Browne described Sins of the Father as ‘a remarkable book.’

Related links:

http://www.solidaritybooks.org/event...shadow-banking
https://www.facebook.com/solidaritybooks

Dr. McCabe contact details:
Email: conormccabeis@gmail. com
Mobile: 087 219 1587

Solidarity Book Contact for comments/further information/photos: Cathal 0851387304
solidaritybooks@gmai l.com
Old 20-07-2012, 02:58 PM

was in this place once... was nearly hunted out for not looking left wing enough...
Old 22-07-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulloftheisland View Post
was in this place once... was nearly hunted out for not looking left wing enough...
Yes, that sounds very likely Were they worshipping Satan and drinking the blood of virgins too?
Old 22-07-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyevitch View Post
Yes, that sounds very likely Were they worshipping Satan and drinking the blood of virgins too?
how did you know?
Old 23-07-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulloftheisland View Post
Tell me, how can you be "nearly hunted out" of a place? Did they chase you, but not quite to the door?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:11 AM

I think it's great that there is a left-wing bookshop in Cork again. I passed in the car the other day and it looked great. I'll pop in and buy something next time I'm in the area. Who would people recco end in terms of modern left-wing thinkers for the general reader.

If there is one mistake the left make in my opinion it is to go on about the evils of capitalism more than about there own ideas. I think people know capitalism is crap but they don't see a realistic alternative. if the left could produce a workable program they would sweep to power.