tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums - View Single Post - losing my job
Thread: losing my job
View Single Post
Old 14-10-2010, 06:09 PM

if you're a full-time employee and you're genuinely ill - have doctors/hospital/etc to back you up - then they can't just straight out and fire you. it's illegal.

speak to the citizens' advice bureau or even the dole office, they'll be able to tell you exactly what your rights are.

is your workplace unionised? even if you're not a member, speak to the union rep, they should be able to help you. (they may insist you join the union, but imo everyone should be a union member, for exactly the reasons you're experiencing now.)

no matter how hard it gets, don't be bullied into resigning voluntarily, because you will lose a rake of benefits. in fact, drop a hint about being bullied, if they have any sense they'll hear a compulsary redundancy lawsuit coming and back off.

look, it's tough for the girl standing in for you, but you're not her employer, it's not up to you to look out for her. in hard times like this, you have to look out for yourself, and at least she seems able to find more work, unlike you.

best of luck, let me know how it goes.